Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive Line Coach hired

Via TV's Twitter:
    SDSU has named former Oklahoma player and assistant John Flynn as its offensive line coach.
    GoJacks.com has an article up as well.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Re: Offensive Line Coach hired

Does anyone have any "real" info? I like the Oklahoma tie, I think that SDSU has lacked is some hard ties to a premier BCS school. Those ties can help in more than one area, whether its transfers, recruiting ties, or just having the Oklahoma as part of your bio while coaching and recruiting. But at the same time, and I preach this, some times people look at a former lineman from a big school and say he will make one heck of a coach, but that is not always true. I remember talking to a basketball coach and he said the best post coach he worked with was a 5-3 guy. So it doesn't always add up. From what I read I like, but I think in the end results are all what matter so I will wait until then to make a real judgement.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      Does anyone have any "real" info? I like the Oklahoma tie, I think that SDSU has lacked is some hard ties to a premier BCS school. Those ties can help in more than one area, whether its transfers, recruiting ties, or just having the Oklahoma as part of your bio while coaching and recruiting. But at the same time, and I preach this, some times people look at a former lineman from a big school and say he will make one heck of a coach, but that is not always true. I remember talking to a basketball coach and he said the best post coach he worked with was a 5-3 guy. So it doesn't always add up. From what I read I like, but I think in the end results are all what matter so I will wait until then to make a real judgement.
      Best friend didn't get the job or what joeboo??? Your tone is pretty judgemental based on a short write up on the SDSU site. Unless you have "inside information" from one of your sources on campus.

Young guy obviously wanting to get established in the coaching ranks. SDSU doesn't have a lot to offer for salary, so we're going to get young coaches like this. He's obviously worked in a successful program, so hopefully he's picked up some good habits. And yes, to joeboo's point, the best players don't always make the best coaches. But, with an O-Lineman I know there's a level of respect when the guy telling you what to do has "been there, done that". Not saying out last guy didn't have the respect of the players. I just know when I played, our O-Line coach spent time in the trenches and had the respect of his players because of it.

Good luck to Coach Flynn. I hope he's treated well in Brookings and settles in quickly.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        Best friend didn't get the job or what joeboo??? Your tone is pretty judgemental based on a short write up on the SDSU site. Unless you have "inside information" from one of your sources on campus.

Young guy obviously wanting to get established in the coaching ranks. SDSU doesn't have a lot to offer for salary, so we're going to get young coaches like this. He's obviously worked in a successful program, so hopefully he's picked up some good habits. And yes, to joeboo's point, the best players don't always make the best coaches. But, with an O-Lineman I know there's a level of respect when the guy telling you what to do has "been there, done that". Not saying out last guy didn't have the respect of the players. I just know when I played, our O-Line coach spent time in the trenches and had the respect of his players because of it.

Good luck to Coach Flynn. I hope he's treated well in Brookings and settles in quickly.
        What Joe is saying is that we should have hired the 5'-3" guy. I think that is what he is saying. Obviously Stig does not know what he is doing.

Good move by Coach Stig. I think the new coach has a lot to offer our program right now. Welcome aboard Coach Flynn.

Comment

I think it looks good on paper. I heard the final 4 and this guy on paper sounded like the best choice, considering I have only heard of one of the guys, he was a local guy. One thing I am excited about is the different running plays and formations that Oklahoma runs. They were one of the first to run that shotgun with 2 wide running backs, almost like a wishbone in a spread offense(kool & zenner). I hope he brings creativity to the running plays.

Comment

No, sorry,for the bad tone, had a tough day and was kinda rambling on with 5 different thoughts into one long sentence. Was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the guy. Was then stating that sometimes people look at a guy and his history and say is going to rock. When that is not always the case. The whole a resume may get you a job, but it won't let you keep it thing. (not saying it will) I hope that the ties to Oklahoma help. If I had any inside information or knew of anyone who had applied I'd come out and state it. Sorry again

Comment

I like that Coach Stig took some time with the hire and, after promoting internally to fill the o-coordinator role, brought in someone with an outside perspective for the o-line coaching position. Haven't found much online yet about Coach Flynn, other than he's an Oklahoma native who played some for OU. His connections to a football state like Oklahoma sure can't hurt.
              This space for lease.

Comment

My gut reaction is this looks like a great hire. Unlike the previous O-line coach, Coach Flynn has experiance playing O-line at a big time program. I for one am excited to see what Coach Flynn will do next year. How much do you want to bet that the musical chair rotation for the O-linemen stops now? I can see every third or fourth series, but every 3, 4, or 5 plays like last year? It was disappointing to see the O-line regress last year. I am excited to see what a talented, experienced group of O linemen can do with Coach Flynn. Will Castle and John Fick have to be excited. No more head games by the O-line coach; hopefully. For those of you who doubt the head games last year - check out who Meadows started at Western Illinois the last game of the season.

Enough venting about the past. For that I apologize. Go Jacks! I see great things going forward for the program. I know the University President and Athletic Director are expecting/planning great things.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                  My gut reaction is this looks like a great hire. Unlike the previous O-line coach, Coach Flynn has experiance playing O-line at a big time program. I for one am excited to see what Coach Flynn will do next year. How much do you want to bet that the musical chair rotation for the O-linemen stops now? I can see every third or fourth series, but every 3, 4, or 5 plays like last year? It was disappointing to see the O-line regress last year. I am excited to see what a talented, experienced group of O linemen can do with Coach Flynn. Will Castle and John Fick have to be excited. No more head games by the O-line coach; hopefully. For those of you who doubt the head games last year - check out who Meadows started at Western Illinois the last game of the season. Enough venting about the past. For that I apologize. Go Jacks! I see great things going forward for the program. I know the University President and Athletic Director are expecting/planning great things.
                  I couldn't agree more! I'm pumped about the hire.

Comment

We have some fresh perspective in dscussing SDSU, too. Welcome to the board, SDSUfromND.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                    X