Mike Shoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Shoff

Mike Shoff, one of our top recruits from Cambridge, Nebraska will be going for his third state championship in wrestling this weekend. The Lincoln Journa Star did a nice story on him.

While Shoff may have have fallen from a potential major national recruit to the Jacks, he has continued his impressive winning ways in multiple sports. As a wrestler, he has lost one match in four years of high school wrestling. That loss was in overtime as a freshman heavy weight. In districts, his three matches lasted a total of 39 seconds. He has 116 career pins, and would have broke the all-class record this year if it wasn't for the seven forfeits he had to face.

Re: Mike Shoff

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
    Mike Shoff, one of our top recruits from Cambridge, Nebraska will be going for his third state championship in wrestling this weekend. The Lincoln Journa Star did a nice story on him.

While Shoff may have have fallen from a potential major national recruit to the Jacks, he has continued his impressive winning ways in multiple sports. As a wrestler, he has lost one match in four years of high school wrestling. That loss was in overtime as a freshman heavy weight. In districts, his three matches lasted a total of 39 seconds. He has 116 career pins, and would have broke the all-class record this year if it wasn't for the seven forfeits he had to face.
    Being a 3 star recruit is cool and all, but Shoff's wrestling prowess is what really gets me excited about the kid. Wrestling just translates well to football, especially in the trenches (FYI, I'm a basketball guy and don't really find wrestling entertaining, but appreciate its merits).
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

I, too, am a "pumpkin pounder" versus a "mat rat" - but I completely appreciate the athleticism it takes to be a great wrestler. I'm excited about the upside of this young man. I believe that he will be a great match for Coach Stig - and I'm optimistic that his work ethic will translate to the trenches.

Good luck in Lincoln Mike - tear em' up!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
        ...he will be a great match for Coach Stig....
        Don't tell me Stig is going to wrestle Shoff!!????

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
          Being a 3 star recruit is cool and all, but Shoff's wrestling prowess is what really gets me excited about the kid. Wrestling just translates well to football, especially in the trenches (FYI, I'm a basketball guy and don't really find wrestling entertaining, but appreciate its merits).
          Or maybe you don't understand it. haha. I was a wrestler that loved watching basketball becuase my brother play it but I sucked at it. Still love wrestling too.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            Or maybe you don't understand it. haha. I was a wrestler that loved watching basketball becuase my brother play it but I sucked at it. Still love wrestling too.
            I do have some understanding of wrestling (though I wouldn't consider it "good"), as I did wrestle in elementary school, but it is not enough to hold my attention through most matches.

I did enjoy watching some of Mr. Shoff's wrestling highlights, however, as he basically just walks up, mauls his opponent, and the ref raises his hand all in a span of about 25 seconds. That's my kind of wrestling, not these 4-3 finals
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Day 1 is in the books. Two matches, both pins in a total of 47 seconds. The finals is shaping up to be what I hope is an all Jackrabbit final Shoff (class of 2012) vs. Nathan Bazata (class of 2013). Bazata is shaping up to be one of the best defensive tackles in Nebraska next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                I do have some understanding of wrestling (though I wouldn't consider it "good"), as I did wrestle in elementary school, but it is not enough to hold my attention through most matches. I did enjoy watching some of Mr. Shoff's wrestling highlights, however, as he basically just walks up, mauls his opponent, and the ref raises his hand all in a span of about 25 seconds. That's my kind of wrestling, not these 4-3 finals
                Those are boring matches. Best matches are tech falls. Being a wrestler can be the best thing for a lineman. Good hands quick feet. Wrestlers translate well to lineman.
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                  Day 1 is in the books. Two matches, both pins in a total of 47 seconds. The finals is shaping up to be what I hope is an all Jackrabbit final Shoff (class of 2012) vs. Nathan Bazata (class of 2013). Bazata is shaping up to be one of the best defensive tackles in Nebraska next year.
                  I assume this Bazata is relation to former rabbit Steven Bazata from Howells?

Comment

Has anyone confirmed if Stig will allow Shoff to wrestle if he desires?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      I am pretty sure Shoff would destroy stig if they went in the ring. I see it going 50/50. a lot of injuries from wrestling but help keep him in shape with work outs away from football drills and could help the team probably right away if he wrestled.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I would say no. It is one thing to play football and run track & field; but to play football and wrestle at a Div I school that would be very difficult and the training that goes into Wrestling wouldn't help him for football. The off-season for football is where you get the biggest gains in strength/power/weight and this conicides w/ the wrestling season. So from my view (exercise physiologist) I don't think it would be a good idea.

Comment

Pretty sure Stig could run around and avoid Shoff for 20 seconds. Mike's semi-final match went less than 1 minute, so his 3 matches at state have lasted less than 3 minutes in all.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                            Pretty sure Stig could run around and avoid Shoff for 20 seconds. Mike's semi-final match went less than 1 minute, so his 3 matches at state have lasted less than 3 minutes in all.
                            Shoff runs the 100 in track so Stig may have a little trouble staying ahead of him there =)

Comment

I have a feeling if he really wanted to wrestle Stig would let him, being a heavy weight means he wouldn't have to cut much if any weight. The question would be whether or not he wants to. Maybe its one of those deals where he would wrestle in home duels but wouldn't travel. Just an idea

Comment

Working...
                              X