Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013 Recruiting List

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    Chase Marso would be a great addition for the Jacks, for multiple reasons. I hope he goes to SDSU and quickly earns a scholly.
    If he were to choose SDSU and get academic scholarships, would that count against the number of football scholarships?
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Ryan McKinley verballed to Montana
      http://hsarizona.scout.com/a.z?s=222...=1&nid=5822394

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
        If he were to choose SDSU and get academic scholarships, would that count against the number of football scholarships?
        No as long as no athletic scholarship of any kind is granted. You'd actually be considered a walkon. Blake Yackley for the basketball team is a good example.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Ryan Wolpin, RB verballed to Northern Colorado.

http://ocvarsity.freedomblogging.com...cision/271757/

Would be nice to get a RB in this class. Always seem to be thin at that position.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            Ryan Wolpin, RB verballed to Northern Colorado.http://ocvarsity.freedomblogging.com...cision/271757/Would be nice to get a RB in this class. Always seem to be thin at that position.
            This was the RB I really wanted to land. Really liked his running style.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              No as long as no athletic scholarship of any kind is granted. You'd actually be considered a walkon. Blake Yackley for the basketball team is a good example.
              Yackley had a lot of scholarship money from showing cattle.
              It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post
                Yackley had a lot of scholarship money from showing cattle.
                An old army trick learned in the Navy I suppose.

Comment

I'm a little surprised that we haven't been able to land a quality running back in this recruiting class. With the success that Zenner had this year, one would think that running backs would be licking their chops to come and have a chance at similar success. They would be redshirt-sophomores by the time Zenner graduates.

It could be that a RB has already committed and we just haven't found out yet and that is why other players have gone elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                    I'm a little surprised that we haven't been able to land a quality running back in this recruiting class. With the success that Zenner had this year, one would think that running backs would be licking their chops to come and have a chance at similar success. They would be redshirt-sophomores by the time Zenner graduates.

It could be that a RB has already committed and we just haven't found out yet and that is why other players have gone elsewhere.
                    I was hoping for Wolpin or Thomas Warren but neither one of those is going to happen now. One thing to keep in mind is that the rb recruits might not like the depth chart right now. We got Zenner as a Jr, Gandy as a So, and Paris and Rodriguez as Fr next year. Wolpin even stated early playing time as a factor and the odds that he would play over Zenner or Gandy the next two years were shallow. I currently like our stable of backs with Zenner as the superstar, Gandy as the all around back, Paris as the bruiser, and Rodriguez as a scat back.

With that said rb is a position where you need to bring in a player every year.....depth can go from strong to weak in only a weeks time of fall camp.

Comment

I generally like a running back in every class, but I think we can handle not getting one this year being that we had 2 in last year's class and none of our RBs are set to graduate at the end of next season.

I'm more worried about Defensive Linemen. I'm a firm believer that games are won in the trenches and with the fast paced offenses, depth at the DE/DT positions are becoming more and more important.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        I generally like a running back in every class, but I think we can handle not getting one this year being that we had 2 in last year's class and none of our RBs are set to graduate at the end of next season.
                        And Tom Pietz, a walk-on RB, who impressed the coaching staff last year during the fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

I'm more worried about Defensive Linemen. I'm a firm believer that games are won in the trenches and with the fast paced offenses, depth at the DE/DT positions are becoming more and more important.
                          I think the guys we brought in last year for the D-Line will be making a pretty good impact this coming year.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                            I think the guys we brought in last year for the D-Line will be making a pretty good impact this coming year.
                            I think so too but its never a problem to have to many good lineman. injuries, transfers etc doesnt take long to go from depth and talent to struggling and lack of depth. Not worried for the next couple years maybe, but would be concerned 3-4 years from now if some plays dont make it like we have seen before from recruiting.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              I think so too but its never a problem to have to many good lineman. injuries, transfers etc doesnt take long to go from depth and talent to struggling and lack of depth. Not worried for the next couple years maybe, but would be concerned 3-4 years from now if some plays dont make it like we have seen before from recruiting.
                              You could say that about every position. That's why it's called recruiting.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                You could say that about every position. That's why it's called recruiting.
                                Its not the hardest to find a WR or RB or QB to play as a freshman or soph. lineman its much harder to fill the void of losing upperclassman. I guess I find having depth at line positions more important then say RB or safetys for example. So missing a year of a particular class can hurt. look what we went through we a particiular class recently didnt fully pan out. took a few years to fill some holes.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X