Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Luke Meadows interviewing as SDSM&T

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    Its how they do business at the School of Mines. They put people who have ties to the School of Mines above anyone else. Honestly when Meadows hinted that he had plans of playing football at Black Hills State, he was probably eliminated. I looked at the list, and of the four, I thought the one they picked was 4th on the list. They had the assistant at UNO last year interview, only dock on him was he didn't coach last year. They had an assistant at Chadron a regional D-II school- only dock on him was he was a lower level assistant. And then Meadows who is a local guy, assistant coach at the flag ship school in the state.

I'm glad in who they picked in the sense that they will continue to s&ck which doesn't bother me any. But if they want to become anything if football they need a coach that not only their friends at the Journal know, but that the entire state knows. Meadows could have done that. They have big plans on expanding the campus and growing athletics and enrollment, but they won't be able to do that if they keep doing things the same way.
    Reading about his quailifcations, doesnt wow me, 1 year as a D cord at southern oregon. Talked about how great he recruits academically strong so fits the mines....I think, didnt they notice that Meadows was a huge part of our recruits during the transition and now and now many academic all confrence players we have had. I think meadows is deserving of being a head coach and I think he will get a chance soon enough and frankly a better chance then being at mines would be.

edit, my favorite part is how the mines pres said its because of his 9 years at D-2 knowing academics what important....If I am not mistaken, D-1 athletes are held to higher standards for recruitment and such right? Wouldnt that benefits someone who has D 1 experience with great academic track record.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Does anyone know if Meadows has a degree beyond bachelors? I can't see an advanced degree listed from his bio. If that is a case that was possibly held against him. It appears that most universities typically require, right or wrong, that their head coaches have such background. The area of education for the degree doesn't matter much but having such degree does matter. Candidates without such degree become hard sells to administration, presidents, boards, and other faculty. Like everyone else stated Meadows seemed to have the pedigree and coaching experience for the position.
      Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

I went to Graduate school with him pursuing the same degree. I thought he finished the same time I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          It's time to close Mines anyway. Blend it into SDSU's engineering school. Just kidding, Rapid Citians! Kind of.
          With the national reputation SDSM&T has...never. As a Rapid Citian living in the flatlands I'm biased, but that place is a huge source of pride for RC, even those that didn't attend.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I for one am happy that we still have Luke Meadows for our coach. Bad play calling and all, we sure could do much worse. I think others have pointed out his accompolishements. I hope we can find some money in order to give him a raise.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I for one am happy that we still have Luke Meadows for our coach. Bad play calling and all, we sure could do much worse. I think others have pointed out his accompolishements. I hope we can find some money in order to give him a raise.
              Bad play calling and all you are happy that we have him? That makes no sense. Yes we could do worse, but that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about an under performing o-coordinator that is way over his head. We had better o-coordinators when we were d2. I will not give up my opinion on the guy, he didn't get picked to be a head coach of the School of Mines, but he is our o-coordinator. yippee.
              Last edited by rabbits64; 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                Bad play calling and all you are happy that we have him? That makes no sense. Yes we could do worse, but that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about an under performing o-coordinator that is way over his head. We had better o-coordinators when we were d2. I will not give up my opinion on the guy, he didn't get picked to be a head coach of the School of Mines, but he is our o-coordinator. yippee.
                You all can talk down the abilities of Meadows and his playcalling. But most people want to forget - who was the coach calling the plays to allow Austin Sumner to set the record for most yards passing by ANY freshmen in MVFC history? Answer: Luke Meadows.

He had A LOT to do with recognizing we weren't running the ball worth a crap (lowest yards per game since the late 90s). As a result we started flinging the ball all over the field because he had a QB in Sumner that he was now comfortable opening the playbook with.

Have we had some questionable playcalling in the past - no doubt about it. Meadows is a good coach that has sent MANY SDSU grads into NFL camps. If we lose him, we may suddenly lose that as well.

Comment

Every single team struggles when they get in the redzone, especially without a running game. If SDSU can get their running game in order, they will be a very talented team offensively next year.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                    You all can talk down the abilities of Meadows and his playcalling. But most people want to forget - who was the coach calling the plays to allow Austin Sumner to set the record for most yards passing by ANY freshmen in MVFC history? Answer: Luke Meadows.

He had A LOT to do with recognizing we weren't running the ball worth a crap (lowest yards per game since the late 90s). As a result we started flinging the ball all over the field because he had a QB in Sumner that he was now comfortable opening the playbook with.

Have we had some questionable playcalling in the past - no doubt about it. Meadows is a good coach that has sent MANY SDSU grads into NFL camps. If we lose him, we may suddenly lose that as well.
                    Differneces in opinions I guess. I think he is average at best.

Comment

I agree with Nidaros. I am glad Meadows is staying. Nice man, good family and good coach. One good year (next yr) and we will all be singing his praises. Two yrs ago they wanted to boot Bohl in Fargo. Now he's the best coach since Lombardi. I am actually surprised Luke did not get the job. GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                        I agree with Nidaros. I am glad Meadows is staying. Nice man, good family and good coach. One good year (next yr) and we will all be singing his praises. Two yrs ago they wanted to boot Bohl in Fargo. Now he's the best coach since Lombardi. I am actually surprised Luke did not get the job. GBGBGJ
                        Thanks I am glad some one agrees with me. I think Joeboo is on to something when he says that this is how they do business at SD tech. They obviously did not pick the most experienced and qualified candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Thanks I am glad some one agrees with me. I think Joeboo is on to something when he says that this is how they do business at SD tech. They obviously did not pick the most experienced and qualified candidate.
                          I agree with you also. He might have been a little overwhelmed to start this year, but he helped a freshman QB do some amazing things, sure, the running game struggled but thats the first time in a decade we had a weak run game. The O line struggled this year which I will image will improve with his coaching, considering how many line man he has put into NFL camps. Anyway I think he is an asset to SDSU, I think a D2 school would be lucky to have him as a coach. I would be excited only for SDSU to bring in someone new and maybe some new ideas, but but by no means because I don't like meadows. Frankly if we have another 5 win year, I think stig should look at firing a cordinator or 2 depending on how bad we are struggling.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

There is always talk about the development of the players, but I think sometimes we forget that coaches are always learning and can improve as well.

I'll reiterate that I think Meadows has done a lot of good things while he's been at SDSU, but have scratched my head a lot about offensive decisions/play calling since he took over as offensive coordinator (pistol sets/lack of creativity in the run game/predictability in play calling/ mass o-line substitutions). I think we took some positive steps towards righting those wrongs as the season wore on and I am holding out hope that this trend continues throughout the off season and into next year.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

Lest not forget we're heaping praises on a coach for having a great season with a freshman QB....when the same coach refused to play the highly talented freshman QB over a junior who had little business being in the game in the first place.

Yes, many players to the NFL, good academic record, this, that and the other. Have a great season WITHOUT all the talent in the world and then he's onto something. It's easy to win and look good when you have a stockpile of great players. It's not so easy when the cupboard is a little bare, but somehow the great coaches find a way.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

It was just reported that Chadron State won't be renewing their head coach, Bill O'Boyle.

Maybe another opportunity for Coach Meadows?

Comment

Working...
                                X