The Pistol Formation and Why It Should be Euthanized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pistol Formation and Why It Should be Euthanized

I remember a couple years ago watching a recruiting video of current Jackrabbit backup quarterback Jordan Thomas and saw that his juco team ran the pistol offense. The first thought that popped in my head was: “Wow, I’m glad we don’t run that craptastic offense”.

Apparently the coaches didn’t share my view on this formation, because the buzz coming out of this year’s SDSU fall camp was that the offense would be using “the pistol” a lot in the upcoming season. Obviously I was not enthused to hear this, but I eased my concern with the thought of “maybe the coaches know something I don’t”. Well, we're now 8 games into the season and the current Jackrabbit squad is the worst rushing team I’ve ever witnessed in over a decade of watching SDSU football, as all my fears have now become reality.

Here is my reasoning to why the pistol offense has killed the Jackrabbit running game and why it needs to be put of its misery:

WHAT IS THE PISTOL OFFENSE?
    The Pistol offense is essentially trying to incorporate a power running game into the shotgun formation. In a traditional shotgun offense, the quarterback lines up roughly 7 yards behind center with a running back directly beside him. In the pistol offense, the quarterback is lined up only 4 yards behind center with a running back lined up 3 yards directly behind the quarterback.

The theory behind the formation is that the quarterback has the view of the defense the shotgun provides, while the running back receives the handoff 3 yards closer to the line of scrimmage than the tradition shotgun formation along with a running start during the exchange (much like the dive play in the triple option). Many teams that use the pistol formation will actually run the speed option or the triple option out of it, and consider it more pass friendly than the veer/flexbone formations.

WHY HAS IT KILLED THE JACKS‘ RUNNING GAME?
    The key word is “options” when describing how this formation has stunted the Jacks running game.

First off, the running back’s options are heavily limited due to what run plays can be called out of this formation. He is either going to be running a dive or a toss/sweep, because the short shotgun snap doesn’t allow the quarterback to meet the running back (ie from under center, the QB can make his drop at a 45 degree angle instead of straight back, meeting the running back around the tackle/tight end area instead of just the center/guard area), therefore the running back has to come to the quarterback or the quarterback has to toss the ball to the runner. Due to being close to full speed when taking the hand off and going head on at the defenders, the running back has little choice but to go straight ahead and hope the offensive line opened up a hole in the spot he is heading, because momentum and time allow little room to change direction. Compare this with a traditional shotgun handoff, which gets the ball to running back quickly at the start of his acceleration, allowing him the ability to read blocks and decide which area to run to based on where a hole is likely to develop instead of a predetermined spot. Vision is such an important trait of a good running back, but sadly with the pistol, our running backs barely get to use it.

So if the running back doesn’t have a say in where he gets to run the ball, then the only way to prevent an unproductive dive play is for the quarterback to read that the hole will be filled and not hand it off to the running back… but then what? Well, the quarterback then has to run the ball himself, but that requires a running quarterback to make this work. Maybe the most mind boggling thing about SDSU running this formation is that it was put together with Thomas O’Brien in mind as quarterback, who was one of the most immobile quarterbacks I have seen at any level. Now, even with Sumner, this quarterback run option isn’t viable because he is not running quarterback, but rather a mobile quarterback. A mobile quarterback allows roll outs, bootlegs, and the occasional draw when the defense isn’t accounting for him, but a running quarterback is someone who can beat defenders to the corner or make them miss in space, a kind of quarterback Sumner is not. Most teams will even run the triple option out of this formation to make it viable, yet SDSU runs only one option and prays it works (and it usually doesn’t).

BUT DOESN’T THE PISTOL IMPROVE THE OFFENSIVE’S ABILITY TO PASS?
    There is no doubt that being in the shotgun helps the quarterback make pre-snap reads, as it’s easier to scan the defense when not directly under center, but this short snap, in my opinion, does little for post-snap reads. The ball comes on the quarterback quick, making mishandled snaps more likely and forcing the quarterback to focus on the ball instead of down field (honestly, how many high/mishandled snaps have we seen this year?!). There is a reason why passing offenses like the spread put the quarterback 7 yards behind center instead of 4 yards, and as I eluded to earlier, unless you are running a speed/triple option out of the pistol, there aren’t any real advantages to run game out of the short snap.

There is also a pass protection deficiency as a result of the pistol, as the running back is out of position to pick up free blitzers. The reason is that, being lined up behind the quarterback, the running back has to go around the QB to get between him and the defender, wasting valuable time that is normally not afforded when there is a free defender. Also, the QB blocks the RB’s view pre-snap, making it harder to identify where the blitz is coming from.

CONCLUSION?
    SDSU is currently running a majority of their offense out of a formation that is no conducive to their personnel or game plan in which they are trying to execute. It’s hard to understand why the Jacks are trying do traditional runs and heavy passing out of a formation that is really only viable when executing a speed/triple option attack. Because of this, our running backs and linemen have not been put in a position to succeed and hence, or running game has been in shambles nearly all season long.

As a final note, here is a video of a team running the pistol formation the way it was intended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-mn94kksvw

Do you recall seeing any of these plays throughout this year of watching Jackrabbit football?
    Last edited by Kemo; 10-28-2011, 02:37 PM.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Re: The Pistol Formation and Why It Should be Euthanized

Kemo: Thanks for the explanation of the pistol. I love to watch college football but it seems I'm slow to catch on to the terminology (my athletic exploits were limited to running and turning left). Your explanation and the links to the YouTube video helped clarify the concept in my mind. JackJD

Comment

I knew something was strange with the running game, but couldn't figure it out. As I posted earlier, holes are there, but the back is slow to hit them. Also I apologize to Kool saying he has no vision; based on this premise, he can't see the hole.

Very thought provoking and well written post.

Comment

I like the way Nevada runs it.

I've only seen 3 of our games this year, but when I've watched, we've very rarely ran out of the pistol.

Most of our runs that are stuffed are out of the traditional I or Ace formations.

Comment

Great Post Kemo! I agree with everything you posted. I am a big fan of the shotgun spread offense. There is a reason a ton of college teams run it. I think we have the pieces in place to run this offense. I can't understand why they run inside zone so often. Rarely do they run outside zone. Outside zone is where they need to be running the ball here are my reasons. 1. Our best olineman are our tackles, why not run the ball there?? 2. Our splits need to be bigger, seems like even lining up that it is so congested in the middle. Spread the d line and backs out some, to create cut back lanes. 3. We do not have a capable blocking tight end, but we run 2, most sets. Makes no sense. TE's have prevented a ton of runs from breaking. 4. Our RB's are slash type running backs that can turn the corner. GET KOOL OUT IN SPACE, that is where he can do damage. He is not built to run between the tackles.

I've been meaning to watch an entire game over and count the actual percentage of inside or dive plays compare to the number of sweeps or outside zones. I bet we run 3 inside to every 1 outside.

In case some of this might not make sense. An inside zone is where the running back basically has 2 cut options, either side of the center. Holes are created with the guard and center double teaming and trying to advance up to a backer. Quick hitter. Outside zone is where the entire line takes pull steps play side and basically you run your path and if no one comes in to your zone you keep moving up. If someone does engage then you basically want to drive them and honestly dont have to hold you block very long or move him out of the way. The RB has probably 4 cuts. Outside play side, Inside play side. Cut backside inside and then cut back to the outside of the backside tackles/te.

Inside zones are good for short yardage but I dont think they should be a majority of your running plays. Run outside zone more often. It will do miracles opening up the inside zone and also PAP.

Comment

Kemo:
            Thanks for your explanation. Some of it I get,some I dont. I know this and it seems like once you put a scheme in play, it hard to try and teach your guys a new scheme in the middle of the season if the orignal is not working. If for a fact the pistol is in place, its not working and we need to let it go. It looks like spring ball will be a good time to change. Kool is not Minnett, but he has been forced to be Minnett, with our play schemes. Whose idea was this? Some one sold Stig a box car of lemons if you aske me.

Comment

Kemo, that post is really long. I am going to take your word for it as from what I've gathered about the pistol is nobody can run it correctly but Nevada(at least that's what the Nevada players said on ESPN once).
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

The thing about Nevada is their coach is the founder of the offense.

I think the thing about the Pistol is it is an offense that needs to be ran to perfection and it appears to be something that very few teams can do. SDSU has enough problems running a simple offense yet something requires perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                  I like the way Nevada runs it.

I've only seen 3 of our games this year, but when I've watched, we've very rarely ran out of the pistol.

Most of our runs that are stuffed are out of the traditional I or Ace formations.
                  All our shotgun snaps we run in our in our current offense are of the 4 yard snap variety (pistol) as opposed to the 7 yard snap of the spread, though on obvious passing downs we have been moving the running back beside the quarterback for pass blocking purposes. We use to be able to run out of the shotgun over the years and make the defense respect it, but now with our pistol formation, we are predictable and don't give our running backs any options besides "straight ahead".

You are right that we do get stuffed a lot out of the I Formation/Ace Formation, but that is more because of the lack of variety in the run playing calling (see JackItUp78's post, he is right on the money) than a fundamental flaw between the personnel available and the formation.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

It appears to me the problem with our offense is that Kemo and Jack it up aren't running it.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Coach Stig has stated on many occasions at Difference Makers meetings that Kool is not the type of back to make a cut or wiggle someone to the ground the way Minett could. Stig has said Kool is a straight-ahead runner who can use his speed and "bend" a play around the edge. I understand what Kemo is saying because we are expecting Kool to take the ball from almost directly behind center and than make a jump-cut to the outside to find a hole. This is not Kool's strength. Maybe we should look at running some two-tight end single back sets and just run outside zone to the corner. Sumner can run to the edge of the formation and hand that thing off as Kool picks up steam to the edge. Then, after running that (hopefully successfully) a few times, just fake that and naked boot around there on playaction and throw that thing to your tight end crossing from the opposite side or throw a deep route to a WR.

I would just love to see some simple stuff like this. It takes execution however, and our O-line has struggled to do that this season for sure.

I really don't like watching us fail at running the ball. Since 1999 here are some rushing totals from our top backs:

1999 - Ranek - 2055 yards
                      2000 - Ranek/Nedved (Ranek hurt part of season) - 1450 yards
                      2001 - Ranek - 1804 yards
                      2002 - Nedved/committee - 1300 yards
                      2003 - Watson/Robinson - 1225 yards
                      2004 - Watson - 1088 yards
                      2005 - Koenig/Watson - 1800 yards
                      2006 - Watson/Koenig - 1400 yards
                      2007 - Koenig/Minett - 1700 yards
                      2008 - Minett/Duffy - 1600 yards
                      2009 - Minett/Duffy - 1500 yards
                      2010 - Minett/Duffy - 1600 yards
                      2011 - Rush yard from top two running backs = 700 yards so far

From the Captain Obvious Department: We need to be able to run the ball better. I know there are 3 games left this season, but our failure to run the ball is ridiculous given what our program has stood for over the last decade or more. I didn't even go all the way back into Ranek's numbers either. I understand guys are hurt on the O-line, but guess what, guys get hurt on the O-line every year. Its time to right this ship and start running the football like we should. If that means dumping the pistol and running some different stuff, I'm all for that.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I've read some well-reasoned posts in this thread, posts that tell me, a guy who loves to watch but has never caught on to the nuances and fine points of play calling, the pistol is simply not working and, at this point (or perhaps a couple of games ago) should have been dumped. Now, can someone argue the other side? Why are the coaches sticking with it? (Not interested in just bashing a coach...what is the motivation for sticking with something that may not be working? -- Or, is the statement "may not be working" incorrect? Maybe some contend the pistol is working just fine.)

Comment

People have complained (with good reason) about the play calling. So is it the play calling or the offense? The offense? No one was complaining about the pistol when we took it down the throats of NDSU on the opening drive. I don't know what the problem is or what the solution is. I just have to trust that the guys that spend 80+ hours a week in film study, practice and games are the ones that know. If they don't, then i have to trust that their boss will hold them accountable. I do think its only slightly insane for someone that spent 4-5 hours researching the pistol thinks they know better why it won't work than the guys that researched it, installed it and continue to monitor it on a daily basis.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                            People have complained (with good reason) about the play calling. So is it the play calling or the offense? The offense? No one was complaining about the pistol when we took it down the throats of NDSU on the opening drive. I don't know what the problem is or what the solution is. I just have to trust that the guys that spend 80+ hours a week in film study, practice and games are the ones that know. If they don't, then i have to trust that their boss will hold them accountable. I do think its only slightly insane for someone that spent 4-5 hours researching the pistol thinks they know better why it won't work than the guys that researched it, installed it and continue to monitor it on a daily basis.
                            I am not claiming to be a know-it-all at football, as I am nothing but an observant fan and I honestly try to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt (hence why I didn't say anything about us running the formation before the season, even though I was not a fan of it to begin with), but when we have such an unproductive running game through 8 games I felt the need to say something, if only to vent.

Once again, I consider myself only an observant fan, but one of my observations is that I haven't seen another coach run this formation/offense without a running quarterback, something the Jacks don't have.

Is the pistol the only problem with this team? Definitely not. Is it one of the problems? I think so.
                            Last edited by Kemo; 10-29-2011, 11:49 AM.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

I'm no know it all either. I kind of like the Pistol and the options it gives you.

Nebraska runs it alot, I mean ALOT this year, I was watching them against MSU before our game started and they must have ran 2/3's of their snaps out of the pistol.

And, speaking of the pistol Mo. State ran probably 75% of their plays out of it.

I do agree we have had some struggles with it. It definitely affects the timing on short routes like slants/outs, etc...

I KNOW you can run effectively out of it. The reason Nevada was so successful running with it, is the RB gets the ball at full speed like in a standard hand-off.

Honestly, I think our OLine isn't run blocking well. We haven't exactly ran well out of the I or the Ace, either. So I don't think it's all on the pistol.

I do think that the pistol takes some time to get used to.

Comment

Working...
                              X