Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendence

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I understand that and its often planned out further then the football schedule comes out. However I feel many are local fans who decide huting that day is more important that SDSU football.
    And there is really nothing wrong with that, to me. If someone prioritized hunting over a football game that is fine. Some people like one thing better than the other, no big deal.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Frankly I think the attendance should have been better considering the weather. I think the hunting excuse is just that. You can hunt more then just opening weekend. You only get 5 home football games for SDSU. That to me means you get several weeks of hunting that are not when SDSU plays. Then again I have no interest or desire to kill animals, but that is besides the point.

I think its acceptable to miss SDSU football games for 1 of 2 reasons.

1, its your funeral. Or,

2nd, your wifes funeral.....depending on who SDSU plays.

Thats a joke......but seriously.
      I dont hunt either but for a lot of people those 2 reason you gave as being acceptable to miss SDSU football game is also the same reason guys give for missing the first weekend of pheasant hunting. I dont have a problem with people missing an SDSU game to hunt. Ive missed some games to go watch Notre Dame. In fact, Saturday was the first time i saw the Jacks play UNI. Ive been in South Bend the other times. Also missed an NDSU game because i was in South Bend. But i always found someone to use my tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        I dont hunt either but for a lot of people those 2 reason you gave as being acceptable to miss SDSU football game is also the same reason guys give for missing the first weekend of pheasant hunting. I dont have a problem with people missing an SDSU game to hunt. Ive missed some games to go watch Notre Dame. In fact, Saturday was the first time i saw the Jacks play UNI. Ive been in South Bend the other times. Also missed an NDSU game because i was in South Bend. But i always found someone to use my tickets.
        How many weekends are there for hunting season. I am pretty dense I dont know, but I still dont know why people can hunt in the area and still make it for an evening game. Then the excuse will be but my favorite hunting spot is blah blah blah. If it is the only weekend that a person can go hunting, I cant argue that, but I doubt that is the case for most everyone.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

How many weekends are there for hunting season. I am pretty dense I dont know, but I still dont know why people can hunt in the area and still make it for an evening game. Then the excuse will be but my favorite hunting spot is blah blah blah. If it is the only weekend that a person can go hunting, I cant argue that, but I doubt that is the case for most everyone.

Since im not a hunter, i agree with what youre saying. I think you can hunt till the end of the year but i suppose everyone is anxious to get out that first Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
            Since im not a hunter, i agree with what youre saying. I think you can hunt till the end of the year but i suppose everyone is anxious to get out that first Saturday.
            A lot of people have friends and family in town as well and want to spend the evening with them. Others work in a job related to the hunting industry and could not get off in time. That was the case with me last weekend.

The lousy record absolutely does not help for people who have to drive to Brookings. I would be making the drive up there for the NDSU game if they had won (or been more competitive) Saturday. Doing so would mean making sacrifices at home during my busiest time of year. Because of the way they've been playing, I'm putting other priorities higher this coming weekend (yes, hunting is one of them). Win-loss record does indeed matter, especially for those of us who have to travel several hours to get to Brookings. I'm not terribly far away, but going to a game takes an 8-hour commitment. It's hard to do that for a 2-win team.

Comment

To say that we weren't competitive in the game is wrong- only in the 4th quarter did the score become one-sided. The fans who were there were into the game and that is the most important part. I thought the attendance was pretty good all things considered. I am a hunter- but not a die-hard, and I don't have friends or family coming in from out of state on opening weekend like some people do. I chose the game for three reasons- I love football, season tickets are a pretty big investment for my wife and I, and there are only 5 home games this year. Not sure a winning record would have made much difference- we have had better records going in to past pheasant openers and had similar/lighter crowds I think.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
                To say that we weren't competitive in the game is wrong- only in the 4th quarter did the score become one-sided. The fans who were there were into the game and that is the most important part. I thought the attendance was pretty good all things considered. I am a hunter- but not a die-hard, and I don't have friends or family coming in from out of state on opening weekend like some people do. I chose the game for three reasons- I love football, season tickets are a pretty big investment for my wife and I, and there are only 5 home games this year. Not sure a winning record would have made much difference- we have had better records going in to past pheasant openers and had similar/lighter crowds I think.
                I provided my tickets to a family that wanted to go and can't easily afford to. My family and friends have been hosting hunters for opening weekend since 1999. Some of them have become Jackrabbit fans over that time and they know there is an open invite to attend the game if there is one in Brookings opening weekend. Last year a couple of them took me up on the offer. This year no one wanted to leave the lodge. So, someone else went to the game in my place while I played the role of host. There were 20 people gathered near the radio listening to WNAX at 6 pm and let me say that very few were distracted for the first 3 quarters.

It is my understanding that SDSU has little say when it comes to the conference schedule. If that is the case and a game must be played at home on the 3rd Saturday of October it should be a marquee name like UNI or NDSU or a team with regional interest like UND or USD to maintain some relevance. I like the way the schedule was put together this year with one exception, trade the Cal-Poly game for a home FCS opponent.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                X