Indiana State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Indiana State

Say this one out loud... "The Jacks are first in the league in passing offense and last in the league in rushing offense"

Who would have ever thought? Kyle Minett, where are you!

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
      Say this one out loud... "The Jacks are first in the league in passing offense and last in the league in rushing offense"

How about we try a run out of a set other than shotgun or spread? I know the I-formation is out of favor in college football, but it doesn't take an offensive genious to see our current run scheme is turd worthy. More than anything, I think we need to find an IDENTITY on both sides of the ball. Are we a pass first team who only calls the occasional run to keep the D honest? If so, that's fine. It's works for plenty of teams, but I'm not sure we even know for sure what we want to be. Watching us gives me the feeling of trying to plug an electrical chord into the wall in the dark. We keep feeling around, looking for the wall socket, trying not to electrocute ourselves in the process, hoping eventually the prongs will find their home and the lights will turn on. So far, we're four games in and we have occasionally found the wall socket, but yet to turn on the lights. IMHO. The good thing is, I think we have the weapons to really be something when we finally turn that light on. Let's just hope it's not 6 games into the season when it's too late.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        I take it you are being facetious? We have been pretty poor against the run. Hope we can shore that up this weekend.
        Equally as poor against the pass. Opponents are completing over 70% of their attempts. I'm hoping CAS in the difference maker and I'll be there contributing. We really need a better start than we have been getting. Put some points on the board first and keep the crowd into it.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
          How about we try a run out of a set other than shotgun or spread? I know the I-formation is out of favor in college football, but it doesn't take an offensive genious to see our current run scheme is turd worthy. More than anything, I think we need to find an IDENTITY on both sides of the ball. Are we a pass first team who only calls the occasional run to keep the D honest? If so, that's fine. It's works for plenty of teams, but I'm not sure we even know for sure what we want to be. Watching us gives me the feeling of trying to plug an electrical chord into the wall in the dark. We keep feeling around, looking for the wall socket, trying not to electrocute ourselves in the process, hoping eventually the prongs will find their home and the lights will turn on. So far, we're four games in and we have occasionally found the wall socket, but yet to turn on the lights. IMHO. The good thing is, I think we have the weapons to really be something when we finally turn that light on. Let's just hope it's not 6 games into the season when it's too late.
          Not sure if you watched the last game but we actually started running the ball differently compared to the first 3 games. With Sumner we ran what I call a gun zone option. Basically an outside zone in which we let the backside end go and read him, if he takes the qb we give it. If the end crashes hard Sumner will pull the ball and run with it. There were two times where Sumner could have kept the ball b/c the end bit hard but he gave it to the RB and actually got some good yardage.

I was told going in to the Illinois game that we would be running the ball inside the tackles. For whatever reason that was the game plan. Also, I would assume that was the plan for the Cal Poly game as well. I'm not sure why that was but that is what I'm told.

I think this team needs to attack the alleys while running the ball. Which is why I think this gun zone option will be successful. I think with the ability to put up huge numbers. It loosens up the LB's, Maybe the D has to roll up a safety. Which will open up the vertical passes.

I think the problem before was that we were running the ball inside the tackles, which crowds the box. Then passes were quick outs. The opposing defense would just swarm the line of scrimmage. Now we should be able to stretch the field which should open up the pass and run.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by JackItUp78 View Post
            Not sure if you watched the last game but we actually started running the ball differently compared to the first 3 games. With Sumner we ran what I call a gun zone option. Basically an outside zone in which we let the backside end go and read him, if he takes the qb we give it. If the end crashes hard Sumner will pull the ball and run with it. There were two times where Sumner could have kept the ball b/c the end bit hard but he gave it to the RB and actually got some good yardage.

I was told going in to the Illinois game that we would be running the ball inside the tackles. For whatever reason that was the game plan. Also, I would assume that was the plan for the Cal Poly game as well. I'm not sure why that was but that is what I'm told.

I think this team needs to attack the alleys while running the ball. Which is why I think this gun zone option will be successful. I think with the ability to put up huge numbers. It loosens up the LB's, Maybe the D has to roll up a safety. Which will open up the vertical passes.

I think the problem before was that we were running the ball inside the tackles, which crowds the box. Then passes were quick outs. The opposing defense would just swarm the line of scrimmage. Now we should be able to stretch the field which should open up the pass and run.

Just my 2 cents
            I did watch the game which is what led to my point on no identity on offense. I've watched 3 of the 4 games (albeit via the web) and it seems we have had a completely different game plan in all three. I agree with you in that I liked last week's no-huddle and the short routes. I believe I remember a pistol formation thrown in there once or twice, too. I like that Sumner was willing to throw it up to Moss. I like that he took chances. I thought we had spurts of a running game, but nothing that kept ISU honest. Regardless of how it happens, we need to have some sort of ability to sustain drives on O. Whether that be through the short passing game or a running game.

I truly believe we get our s**t together this weekend. I have the Brewers playoff game at 1:00 p.m. and Jacks game at 6:00 p.m. on the puter. I fully intend to be enjoying a cocktail with Mrs. Wilber later that evening in celebration of 2 W's. Remember we've started out with worse records than 1-3 and challenged for a league title. Nothing I've seen has convinced me this team can't do the same.

GO JACKS!
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by guinzone View Post
              facts
              Have no place on this board, Sir.
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post

I'm leaning more towards play calling, poor Oline play than the RB's, both RB's are explosive. Also when you are playing from behind all the time, pretty difficult to crank up the RBs. You'll also see Zenner and Kool attribute 200 yards of the 954 yards in the air, so that's pretty considerable.
                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Good luck today

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                    Good luck today
                    Thanks we will need it.

Comment

And to the Coyotes against Lindenwood. USD does have a better team than UNC and so should win handily.

The game at Coughlin on the other hand, that will be more difficult. SDSU will need to play mistake free which is a tall order for a team looking for an identity and with a new QB. I will be in the stands cheering (whether standing or sitting).
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

We are getting our baby in his game day outfit. I figure so far he might be a good luck charm. Sdsu has never lost a game he has been too. Its only been 1 game so far though but ill take those odds right now.

Isu blue was at moyneyball last night in sf and many of their players were on their phones the whole time. My sister noted how rude it was of them at a movie. So I would like to give them a rude awakining tonight. Hope the jacks find away and give one hell of an effort and get the win.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

http://www.sdsucollegian.com/2011/09...indiana-state/

Collegian live blog here:

Comment

Wierdest game ever. Jacks#1fan just walked by.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

It is just me or does Tyler Merriam say Jackribbits instead of Jackrabbits?
                              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Ugh. You know when it rains it pours. First half and second look like completely differrent games.

Comment

Working...
                                X