Sumner's time has Come.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sumner's time has Come.

My concern is that this program has reached about as high as it can with the current staff. Meaning we’ll be an average team most years (5-6 or 6-5) and you’ll get a lucky 8-3 season every 8-10 years or so. I think Stig is a great man but is he the right type of coach to get a program over the hump?

Personally, I think there’s no excuse for this program to not be a power in the Valley along with NDSU and UNI. NDSU and SDSU have the benefit of being the largest schools and programs in their state. There’s no competing with giant FBS programs like the majority of the conference schools do (that makes UNI even more impressive having to live in the shadow of the Hawkeyes and Cyclones).
    “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
      My concern is that this program has reached about as high as it can with the current staff. Meaning we’ll be an average team most years (5-6 or 6-5) and you’ll get a lucky 8-3 season every 8-10 years or so. I think Stig is a great man but is he the right type of coach to get a program over the hump?

Personally, I think there’s no excuse for this program to not be a power in the Valley along with NDSU and UNI. NDSU and SDSU have the benefit of being the largest schools and programs in their state. There’s no competing with giant FBS programs like the majority of the conference schools do (that makes UNI even more impressive having to live in the shadow of the Hawkeyes and Cyclones).
      Great post...rep pts given! 1 playoff appearance in about 6.2 light years is not enough, period.
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post

I can think of one. Our football team is dead last in the Missouri Valley on budget and guess what NDSU and UNI are at the top. I think the Athletic leadership is working on this but until it changes it will be hard to be at the top every year.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
          I can think of one. Our football team is dead last in the Missouri Valley on budget and guess what NDSU and UNI are at the top. I think the Athletic leadership is working on this but until it changes it will be hard to be at the top every year.
          Excellent points and part of the reason I as the question about who is leading the charge. Without the same level playing field its hard to be judgmental of the coaches. It certainly is going to happen, judgment I mean, but it may be a bit unfair given the disadvantage of reduced funding and subpar facilities. So, join the Difference Makes and a difference you can make.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            The thing about this JackMD is that we dont know everything that's going on. As much as TV puts his ear to the ground and tells us what he hears, he does not hear everything. Too question the leadership is a Stu par move so if that his best shot, we made out okay on this column.

I believe Coach Stig is still in charge and no verbals really does not make me panic at this time. I think we could have been 6-5 or even 7-4 last season but for a few plays and our QB being the unoffical MVP for the Bison last year. (An attempt at humor on Bisonville) Thats my most critical remark towards TOB. Enough said. I would trust that this year that we might be down and we lost a lot of talent last year. Plus a number of top recruits left the program IE Kohlmoos and others. TV could tell you more, but he commented on this in a private email and how it would catch up with the progress of the program. Add also the injuries this year and yes there is room for criticism but its not coming from me.

I am looking forward to another Difference Makers meeting tonight. The free Subs and Pizza are the best part of the meeting. I am sure we will find out more about Austin Sumner and his performance this past Saturay.
            I've said it before on this forum, but Stu intentionally goaded one of our players into making inflammatory statements against Augie and then published them out of context in the Argus back when I was playing. Specifically, he told my teamate the Augie players questioned how tough we were and that the past season's win by SDSU was a fluke, etc. and then asked for his response. He kept up those tactics until the competitor in my teamate came out and he said something inflammatory. He routinely did that sort of thing when he was covering the local college teams in the mid 90's. We had to hold back the player in question from confronting Stu and making a scene when he came around the locker room after the game after that Augie game. I considered him a jacka$$ then and nothing he's written since then has led me to believe otherwise.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
              I considered him a jacka$$ then and nothing he's written since then has led me to believe otherwise.
              He's a Michigan State alum and SDSU is 'Michigan', it's that simple and that pathetic, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                Herewithin lies the problem. I would love to see us at a minimum of 8 wins and playoff appearences and championship and all those things, but its more a resource problem than its a leadership problem. With a dead last budget we are getting a pretty good bang for our dollars. You can change leadership but without changes in resources the results will be no different. Our Jackrabbit Club is far behind the NDSU Teammakers in dollars raised.

Comment

A question we should ask. How many sports does NDSU sponsor, how many at UNI? The answers are 14 and 15 respectively. SDSU sponsors what, 19? I think the athletic depaertment does a very good job with the dollars at hand. More would be good but I don't question this leadership on this budget.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                    A question we should ask. How many sports does NDSU sponsor, how many at UNI? The answers are 14 and 15 respectively. SDSU sponsors what, 19? I think the athletic depaertment does a very good job with the dollars at hand. More would be good but I don't question this leadership on this budget.
                    It's actually more of a question of donation money, actually. We may sponsor more sports, but Football is heads and tails and ankles above the rest in terms of costs involved. NDSU boosters simply give more money that we do.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                    X