Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ISU Game Thread

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
    Frustrating loss to be sure but at least there were some positives to build on which wasn't the case the last few weeks. It's a very small sample size but I think this team has found a leader in Sumner. It will be fun to watch him continue to grow over the season. He's going to make some bad plays to be sure but I already saw plays tonight that you would never see with TOB at the helm. This kid is a gamer and will only continue to get better.

What's everyone's take on Zenner/Kool? I'm starting to think Zenner should be the number one and getting more carries than Kool. The running game just seems to pop a little more with Zenner. Not ripping on Kool at all but I'm more confident when the ball is in Zenner's hands.
    I would agree with that.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Frustrating loss to be sure but at least there were some positives to build on which wasn't the case the last few weeks. It's a very small sample size but I think this team has found a leader in Sumner. It will be fun to watch him continue to grow over the season. He's going to make some bad plays to be sure but I already saw plays tonight that you would never see with TOB at the helm. This kid is a gamer and will only continue to get better.

What's everyone's take on Zenner/Kool? I'm starting to think Zenner should be the number one and getting more carries than Kool. The running game just seems to pop a little more with Zenner. Not ripping on Kool at all but I'm more confident when the ball is in Zenner's hands.
      I definetly think the running game has bit more pop to it with zenner. I would like to see him become the #1 RB, and would like to see Kool (at least some) go back to WR. he did a great job out there last year, and he could really help stretch the field.

I know it wasn't the result we were looking for, but i did see both sides of the ball, seem to come alive a bit starting in the 2nd qtr. The Off. line started getting a push and the pass protection was pretty good as the game went on. I think the defense was flying to the ball more than they have since that first game against S. utah. Overall, i think we are headed in the right direction, at least based on tonights performance.

Comment

This is the first time in a long time where I watched one of our games and when the offense was on the field, and the QB dropped back I wanted to watch. Sumner is going to be very good, and he is a leader. You can see the way he carries himself on the field. Moss is impressive and will have a big year with Sumner at QB. Zenner should move to #1 while we use Kool as a wide out. Zenner is more of a pure runner, Kool is quick but until our line gets its collective act together our running backs are going to need to be able to make some of their own holes, Zenner seems more capable of picking up yards when the hole isn't there. Our O Line absolutely STINKS right now. The defense showed some life tonight and played with passion. I'm cautiously optimistic and do think as the season goes on the offense will get better and better with Sumner leading this team. Too many penalties, where is the discipline on this team the past two years?

Comment

Things seemed to click much better the 2nd half. Three turnovers and 10 penalties hurt. Zenner looks pretty good, did he really have a 30 negative rush? Talk about a drive and stat killer. Overall not a bad game from Sumner for his first start. I'm awful glad Moss is on the team at this point.....he looks like he would have been pretty special with 4 years of football under his belt....hopefully he can be a go to guy to give Sumner confidence.

Comment

Stats wise I thought sumner was better then 18-32. Kool had 1 more yard and and 2 less carries then zenner. Moss his effort was good. Seemed like the wr might haved missed a few good passes. For a first game for a freshman qb and a team banged up and looked out of sorts the last few weeks. I will take for now. Let's hope next week goes better. It feels like forever since our last home game.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Stats wise I thought sumner was better then 18-32. Kool had 1 more yard and and 2 less carries then zenner. Moss his effort was good. Seemed like the wr might haved missed a few good passes. For a first game for a freshman qb and a team banged up and looked out of sorts the last few weeks. I will take for now. Let's hope next week goes better. It feels like forever since our last home game.
              It HAS been forever. Ridiculous.

An unfortunate Hubert fumble there in the 4th. Would've like to see that drive completed (der!)

I don't know what it is, I just HATE losing to Illinois State. Maybe it's because we had our way with them the first couple/few years.

Basically, we still found a way to shoot ourselves in the foot and lose the game.

Just glad we didn't get blown out again.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Wasn't impressed with a lot of the play calling. The penalties killed the team again, the secondary struggled at times (though for being as short as they are there they weren't terrible). Sumner did alright however again the play calling was so so. I unlike everyone else did not like the QB running through someone to get a touchdown from 1 yard out. Your 1 yard out, give the ball to the running back. Personally I don't want the QB (who had shoulder reconstruction surgery in hs) taking shots period. Put in the fact that there is only 1 backup and I'd get really sketchy calling that play. Now I like that he is not afraid to take a hit and that part of it but damn you are 1 yard out. Though the way the running game has been I do kinda understand the call.

I thought the defense intensity that hadn't been there all year was back somewhat for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  Wasn't impressed with a lot of the play calling. The penalties killed the team again, the secondary struggled at times (though for being as short as they are there they weren't terrible). Sumner did alright however again the play calling was so so. I unlike everyone else did not like the QB running through someone to get a touchdown from 1 yard out. Your 1 yard out, give the ball to the running back. Personally I don't want the QB (who had shoulder reconstruction surgery in hs) taking shots period. Put in the fact that there is only 1 backup and I'd get really sketchy calling that play. Now I like that he is not afraid to take a hit and that part of it but damn you are 1 yard out. Though the way the running game has been I do kinda understand the call.

I thought the defense intensity that hadn't been there all year was back somewhat for the game.
                  I really liked the play calling. Would have perfered more variety running the ball. Or some play action pass. But the no huddle offense really was clicking. A varity of different passing routes. Wasn't just 10 yard outs. Let sumner go all over the field. Sumner bobbled several snaps but kept his composure well. Took us 2 long drives in the second half. The penalties are mental lapses. We can fix that I hope. The fumbles hurt but both tems put the ball on the ground a few times.

I don't mind the dive from sumner. What this team has been threw it needs to see a leader position put it all on the line. The wr was covered 1 yard. It was a smart play. They just stuffed 2 times before running. I think the problem is we couldn't scoree running and needed to put it in sumners hands.

I honestly think if sumner had any real experience coming in we win this game. The first half he needed to get his feet wet. The second half he looked more comfortable and not hesitant to make a throw like we have seen this year from tob. I want to give the wrs some slack. The ball comes different look and trajectory and timing with a new qb is an adjustment for sure it takes time to connect on game speed and that's why we saw some miss some catches.

Over all I am proud of the effort the team showed. Espeically on D, even if missed a few tackles they never looked discouraged or hung thoer heads.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                    It HAS been forever. Ridiculous.

An unfortunate Hubert fumble there in the 4th. Would've like to see that drive completed (der!)

I don't know what it is, I just HATE losing to Illinois State. Maybe it's because we had our way with them the first couple/few years.

Basically, we still found a way to shoot ourselves in the foot and lose the game.

Just glad we didn't get blown out again.
                    I'm not gonna fault a kid for making an effort play trying to get a td. We didn't lose the game on that play. Infact I think the coaches really showed a lot by going on 4 down with a rookie qb first game instead of going for th fg attempt. Might have been an easier call considering our struggling kicking game.

I agree I feel we should be better then isu blue and red and msu most years. But they have diffenetly improved.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

It was a pass play which Sumner had no open receivers, tucked a ran it in. It was the last option available to him. It is a sign of a good QB and one who is a leader. That play, more then any other woke up this team, defensively and offensively we looked much more confident after Sumner scored.

Comment

If we make the same mistakes we did in this game in the remaining games it will be hard to get another W. Good news, the mistakes are correctable. Defense needed to come out with more intensity. SDSU should have won last night. Still can't understand why we can't find a competent kicker.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

The overall feeling I got from listening to the game was that the big holes under the waterline of the team had mostly been patched, and there was a chance that the S.S. 2011 SDSU Football might not break apart and sink after all.

It's still taking in some water, but I think they might have gotten the pumps running now, anyway.

Seven more chances for redemption.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            If we make the same mistakes we did in this game in the remaining games it will be hard to get another W. Good news, the mistakes are correctable. Defense needed to come out with more intensity. SDSU should have won last night. Still can't understand why we can't find a competent kicker.
                            Kicker? Are you kidding me? Where did that come from? It is sure differant when you see the game in person. The extra point was blocked. Our kicker put the ball thru the back of the end zone twice last night on kickoffs. Each team blocked a PAT last night.

My opinion we got totally out coached in one phase of the game - offense. Not the QB - too many items too get to all of them. Stig needs to step up there. Why is he immune from offense? The defense managed to adust last night.

There is a basic flaw with our running game. (I know missing Minett is huge.) For some reason, our runs are way to slow to develop. The hole is there, but the back hits the hole too late. He hits it way to slow and late. Is he too deep in the back field? Are we running out of the pistol/shotgun too much? Also, Zenner has a lot bettter vision back there than Kool. Kool misses the holes and cutback. We are a zone blocking team and RB has to have vision. It is time to move Kool back to wide out and pair him with Moss and Hubert. Those that know little about football will blame the O line for lack of holes, but the holes are there. We either don't see them or are too slow. What do you guys think?

It was a whole new vibe with Austin back there. And yes you run your QB in college football. It is crazy to question it. Give Meadows his props there, that was a good play call.

There will be nothing but improvement in the games ahead. Wait until you guys get to see it.

We don't fumble on the three, yes it was a viscious hit and the ball was slippery from the rain but hang on, or all of our penalties (I thought refs were homers) or Autin doesn't miss a wide open reciever in the end zone, or Kool doesn't fumble the wet ball, or Moss doesn't drop that last pass - whole new ball game. ISU is a tough team with a great QB. They beat us at home last year. We had them scared. We need to finish, but man there are positive signs with the new leadership at QB.

Wins are coming.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              The overall feeling I got from listening to the game was that the big holes under the waterline of the team had mostly been patched, and there was a chance that the S.S. 2011 SDSU Football might not break apart and sink after all.

It's still taking in some water, but I think they might have gotten the pumps running now, anyway.

Seven more chances for redemption.
                              Filbert - you are correct sir. I'm impressed you could tell this from the radio. People will see this Saturday at the Beef Bowls. ISU has a great, experianced QB. The Jacks were in the game until the end. I don't think that happens without the change at QB. They will now get better every week.

Not too many fans at the game last night, but the 75 or so Jacks fans were louder than the Redbirds. We couldn't out cheer the piped in music tho.

Plus their fans had a cowbell at the game.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                                Kicker? Are you kidding me? Where did that come from? It is sure differant when you see the game in person. The extra point was blocked. Our kicker put the ball thru the back of the end zone twice last night on kickoffs. Each team blocked a PAT last night.

My opinion we got totally out coached in one phase of the game - offense. Not the QB - too many items too get to all of them. Stig needs to step up there. Why is he immune from offense? The defense managed to adust last night.

There is a basic flaw with our running game. (I know missing Minett is huge.) For some reason, our runs are way to slow to develop. The hole is there, but the back hits the hole too late. He hits it way to slow and late. Is he too deep in the back field? Are we running out of the pistol/shotgun too much? Also, Zenner has a lot bettter vision back there than Kool. Kool misses the holes and cutback. We are a zone blocking team and RB has to have vision. It is time to move Kool back to wide out and pair him with Moss and Hubert. Those that know little about football will blame the O line for lack of holes, but the holes are there. We either don't see them or are too slow. What do you guys think?

It was a whole new vibe with Austin back there. And yes you run your QB in college football. It is crazy to question it. Give Meadows his props there, that was a good play call.

There will be nothing but improvement in the games ahead. Wait until you guys get to see it.

We don't fumble on the three, yes it was a viscious hit and the ball was slippery from the rain but hang on, or all of our penalties (I thought refs were homers) or Autin doesn't miss a wide open reciever in the end zone, or Kool doesn't fumble the wet ball, or Moss doesn't drop that last pass - whole new ball game. ISU is a tough team with a great QB. They beat us at home last year. We had them scared. We need to finish, but man there are positive signs with the new leadership at QB.

Wins are coming.
                                Regarding your observations with the running game....you are right on the money.I thoght this too ,but you , my friend are very astute at identifying the probable causes,which i cannot.All i know,after SUU , the run has been pretty ineffective.I really like quick hitting the holes opened up by the offensive line.Alot of times you catch the secondary by surprise and blow right past them for big gaines. Sometimes it doesn't happen that way , but even once out of 5 or six rushes is worth it if you reel off a long run, possibly for a td or lead to one.I also like draw plays,(should be used sparingly for best effect though)for obvious passing plays,defense chomping at the bit for a sack,decoy pass routes to open up the middle,runner gets through the line fast and can pick the best line to run for maximum yardage with room to manuever.Even if you don't get the first down, you usually get important yardage for the all important field position.It's better than a failed pass and you have to kick where you are.Open the playbook,don't get too predictable.
                                Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-25-2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X