Illinois GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Illinois GDT

Not like I can really add much to this discussion, but we were awful looking. Offense looked worse as I have seen them since going D-1. RO mentioned he wanted to see us keep it with in 21. My take was we needed to aim for better then that. Now just keeping it less then a 50 point spread would have been a good goal. I feel we are regressing as a team. Poor tackeling on D. Poor offensive execution. Poor play calling, poor team preperations. We failed in every aspect of the game. Thankfully our punter and kick coverage was ok otherwise it would have been much worse.

My observations. TOB did not know what he was doing out there.
    The line was unable to get a push for the run game.
    The WR could not get open.
    The D line forgot to show up.
    The whole D forgot how to tackle.
    It was disapointing to see the team try the same thing for 2 + years for play calling and realize they have no other options but to run the same (I am going to change it from vanilla to white bread) white bread plays.
    Not sure why Sumner did not get into the game till the last series. He will most likely be the future QB and any experince he gets now will only help hopefully.
    Sumner actually looked comfortable out there. Made reads and accurate throws.

I know we don't have Wilkinson as a coach anymore, but did we forget how to run those plays we had when he was here? We should have enough talent on the team to learn more then 2 different formations. we have 1 run and 1 pass. When Kardoes and Berry were QBs we actually had a variety in plays we could run and it was amazing we actually had success out of those plays. The coaching staff needs to look at its self first before blaming the team, but TOB if he struggles and the team looks bad again, half time I pull the plug on him if I was the coach. He has lost us more games then he has won for us. Stig needs to look at the future for not just this year or next, but for recruits we have now who might bail or trasnfer, or future recruits who think, this team is boring to watch with in effective play calling, and when they struggle the coaches are to afraid to pull the starters to give the back ups achance. If we keep this up and dont win one of the next 2 games. I feel if Stig does not make some changes this year or after the season, Sell will have to make them for him.

Cut Eideness, take away Meadows play calling, get a legit offensive cord to play calls and move Meadows to lines and main recruitment cord. He excels at recruiting IMO, let him do that and a coach with more then 2 plays to call the offense.

I am embarssed to say it, we look like the USD team under John Austin years ago. Way to much talent but horrible play calling and way to conservative game plan to actually win. USD had good players but the coaches never used them to their best abilities. Something SDSU has always been great at, getting the most from every one. Now we cant get anything from anyone.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      If we see an Illinois team go like 8-3 or higher, I think I will feel much better about the score. With Ohio State being on the ropes for their misques, it opens it up for the Illini to move forward. To my way of thinking, this game showed where our program is at. We need improvement at every position, and not just the QB. Glad you enjoyed the trip.
      If I were a betting man,I would pick Illinois to finish no better that 4th in the 6 team Leaders division of the Big Ten,behind Ohio State,Penn State and Wisconsin. Beating the Jacks (or any FCS team ) like a drum at home doesn't necessarily make the Illini title contenders

Comment

The best thing about this week is that SDSU plays football against Cal-Poly on Saturday. Time to put the Illinois game behind us and go 1-0 this week. Opinions are important but they are no more than opinions and they don't make plays or win games. I don't personally care what happens to Illinois or USD this weekend, I back the Jacks and hope to see a win this Saturday.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          If I were a betting man,I would pick Illinois to finish no better that 4th in the 6 team Leaders division of the Big Ten,behind Ohio State,Penn State and Wisconsin. Beating the Jacks (or any FCS team ) like a drum at home doesn't necessarily make the Illini title contenders
          Agreed.

Comment

On a "very small" positive note, Illinois beat #22 Arizona St tonight 17-14. They might actually be somewhat decent in the Big Ten this year.

Comment

Originally posted by TCRabbit View Post
              On a "very small" positive note, Illinois beat #22 Arizona St tonight 17-14. They might actually be somewhat decent in the Big Ten this year.
              thanks for post. I was at the Illinois game. It wasn't so much about how we much we lost by, but more about how bad we looked. We are not good.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
              X