X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Footballl Concession Fiasco

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    This is what we did on Saturday.

Nidaros, do you feel like there shouldn't be drinking allowed at tailgating?

Lets just go back to prohibition. RO wouldnt be the only one bringing a flask into the game.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post

Nidaros, do you feel like there shouldn't be drinking allowed at tailgating?
      What I think on this issue does not really matter. If you are hoping for a long debate ending in name-calling, its not going to happen.

I was responding to Supper Bunny who indicated that he made his comment in jest and forgot to put in a smiley.
      I took his comment literally which happens way too often on this board and I seem to have a growing enemy list due to mis-judgements of this nature.

We have a policy in affect that was clarified by Jack#1 fan, and I appreciate his clarification. I do get concerned when the saftey of others is trumped by the actions of those under the influence. Years ago I had a big problem with alcohol and after 2 DUI's and nearly losing my job, I decided to put the plug in jug. The plug has been there for 38 years now, and I never have the urge to even have one cool one. I still make stupid mistakes like calling you a$$hole, and for that I humbly apologize.

I could be in the situation as the driver, who apparently had a bunch of cool ones, who t-boned the young 17 year old in Brookings early on game day. The driver apparently ran the red light and t-bone the teens car at a high speed. These thoughts cross my mind every day and I feel so lucky to have gotten those two DUI's as both police officers could have looked the other way and I could have went on to kill some innocent driver and his passengers. Although I have discarded my copies of the citiations years ago, I do still consider these two officers my best friends. They got to me and let me know that I had a big big problem.

So tailgate on and enjoy, just do it in a responible manner.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM.

Comment

While I'd love to have a good hotdog, I rarely head to concessions during halftime. Our seats are on row 22 and in the middle of our section. It just takes too darn long to get out of the stands only to have to stand in a long line at concessions. No way to make it back into my seat anywhere near kickoff. Plus, I hate to miss The Pride. But if the dogs were really good ...

I expect huge improvements in crowd flow in and out of the grandstand and concessions with the new stadium. Until then, we're definitely missing out on some $$$ from concession sales.
        @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
        --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
          While I'd love to have a good hotdog, I rarely head to concessions during halftime. Our seats are on row 22 and in the middle of our section. It just takes too darn long to get out of the stands only to have to stand in a long line at concessions. No way to make it back into my seat anywhere near kickoff. Plus, I hate to miss The Pride. But if the dogs were really good ...

I expect huge improvements in crowd flow in and out of the grandstand and concessions with the new stadium. Until then, we're definitely missing out on some $$$ from concession sales.
          Seems like in recent years, I have in my mind identified all the construction flaws of CAS. Not boasting but I was there on opening day in Sept 1962 when the first SDSU game was played. We lost a close one to Arkansas State 9-7, and CAS seemed all that the things that old State Field was not. But years later I see the isles are too narrow with no hand rails and some sections come togehter with no isle seperating them. Makes it difficult to head to the concession stand at half time as indicated by jacksfaninne. Those older folks like myself who are not 100 percent in the balance department find going up and down those steps to row 22 or there abouts dangerous when there are those coming from the opposite direction going down when you are going up, and when going down you do make it to the ground, you head through the tunnel to find a long long line. Lets face it we have outgrown CAS.

God Bless Charles Coughlin and his generous gifts to SDSU. I wonder if his name will be on the new faciility considering the revenue potential from naming rights. This is another issue coming down the road.

I glad Jackguy II started this thread as we need a new facility that is more friendly to the fans whether it is seating or concessions.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Seems like in recent years, I have in my mind identified all the construction flaws of CAS. Not boasting but I was there on opening day in Sept 1962 when the first SDSU game was played. We lost a close one to Arkansas State 9-7, and CAS seemed all that the things that old State Field was not. But years later I see the isles are too narrow with no hand rails and some sections come togehter with no isle seperating them. Makes it difficult to head to the concession stand at half time as indicated by jacksfaninne. Those older folks like myself who are not 100 percent in the balance department find going up and down those steps to row 22 or there abouts dangerous when there are those coming from the opposite direction going down when you are going up, and when going down you do make it to the ground, you head through the tunnel to find a long long line. Lets face it we have outgrown CAS.

God Bless Charles Coughlin and his generous gifts to SDSU. I wonder if his name will be on the new faciility considering the revenue potential from naming rights. This is another issue coming down the road.

I glad Jackguy II started this thread as we need a new facility that is more friendly to the fans whether it is seating or concessions.
            I vote for naming it Coughlin and Friends stadium. Because not all the donors were or will be alumni and I feel sdsu has had a good relationship with people who have not attended the school. I know it sounds a little silly, but all things considered I think friends would have been better then alumni for the original name. I like it when names represent the past, not just a money donor. I am fine with it being Avera stadium or first bank field etc, but it just sounds better when it represents the history of the place and people with it.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              I vote for naming it Coughlin and Friends stadium. Because not all the donors were or will be alumni and I feel sdsu has had a good relationship with people who have not attended the school. I know it sounds a little silly, but all things considered I think friends would have been better then alumni for the original name. I like it when names represent the past, not just a money donor. I am fine with it being Avera stadium or first bank field etc, but it just sounds better when it represents the history of the place and people with it.
              In order to get built it will indeed need a naming rights type of donation (as it did with Coughlin Stadium...later enlarged to include alumni, who at that time when no fund raising of any size had ever been conducted by the college, were the other donors).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                In order to get built it will indeed need a naming rights type of donation (as it did with Coughlin Stadium...later enlarged to include alumni, who at that time when no fund raising of any size had ever been conducted by the college, were the other donors).
                This is correct. When CAS was built, there was no foundation and a group of alumni led the fund raising to build CAS. This was their first attempt at fund raising and though those dedicated alums worked hard they fell short. Although the need was evident to the alumni committee, other alumni thought different and if they gave a buck or two, it would be towards academic programs and buildings. I remember Jack#1fan telling at a Foundation meeting that the records were one file folder in David Doners desk. So the lessons learned from Staduim for State were numerous and we have a full staff and huge committee at the SDSU Foundation today. They will no doubt have an active role in the fundraising for the replacement to CAS.

In reading College on the Hill and the chapter "Staduim for State" VJ Smith documented that student athletes at the time and students who favored the Staduim pledged a certain amount of money towards the building of CAS. An assessment of student fees failed I believe three times before they finally gave up and that is why there are no concrete bleachers on the east side of the field though the master drawing and plans did call for building them when the funds became available. In fifty years this part of the project took the back burner and was never finished.

If we do have a large number of friends who contribute towards the new staduim, then I would think they should be included in the name, but if I am hearing Justin Sells correctly he speaks of the name rights as being a big source of revenue separate from donations. So whom ever buys those rights will no doubt bear the new name of the staduim.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 09-08-2011, 05:57 AM.

Comment

It was a different time when CAS was built. There was less thought put into it regarding amentities because there was less demand for amenities. I remember a Hobo Day game I attended in the '60's. There was no thought of concessions. My aunt sent a thermos of coffee for my father and uncle and a sack of snacks for my brother and I (it was cold, the snacks were frozen by halftime). The crowd under the stands wasn't in line for Coke and dogs, they were there to smoke and socialize.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                    It was a different time when CAS was built. There was less thought put into it regarding amentities because there was less demand for amenities. I remember a Hobo Day game I attended in the '60's. There was no thought of concessions. My aunt sent a thermos of coffee for my father and uncle and a sack of snacks for my brother and I (it was cold, the snacks were frozen by halftime). The crowd under the stands wasn't in line for Coke and dogs, they were there to smoke and socialize.
                    These are old guys talking about young days, and what you described does not surprise me. CAS was built for about 350,000 dollars and if you were convert it into current value it would still be a low amount. Yes the thinking back then was much different, and there were no concessions to speak of. A certain amount of scholarship money was raised by the Letterwinners club selling apples and popcorn,pop and coffee. It was a time of missed opportunities, but the average fan did not plan on spending more than a dollar on concessions back then.

Comment

Working...
                    X