Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Footballl Concession Fiasco

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
    I posted the comment that everyone is confused about, I misunderstood EQ's comment as my post was inappropriate, and felt the best thing to do was remove it. Yes I was a member of the SDSU Meat Science Club and worked the grill for the 2 seasons we were in the SE corner of CAS. We decided not to come back for this season as Aramark was taking a much larger portion of our "take" that was agreed upon in the contract. We did not have any principle to speak of, as we lost money by not being able to afford propane, buns, the sausages themselves etc. That is why there is no grill trailer with genuine SDSU Smoked Sausage in the SE corner of CAS this season. Sorry for the confusion.
    Thanks for the clarification fever. I see now that it was less about principle and more about being able to make a profit. I have disliked the switch to aramark from the getgo. Whoever said it earlier said it right. Load up in the tailgate then you don't have to stand in line.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      I vote for the SDSU Meat Science Club.

Looks like a "605" situation to me!
      Thats two of us. I noticed Nicks Hamburgers which are $1.60 downtown and at CAS they are an even 2 bucks. So does the 40 cents flow directly to the athletic department or does Aramark get a cut of the forty cents? If the 40 cents goes to the Athletic department then I will buy them by the bag.

I really hope some one from the Events staff is reading this board. I too recognized all the lost opportunities while standing in line. Aramark, did its best to keep up, lots of folks were very frustrated while standing in line. I think we need to let the AD know about this problem. He might not be able to fix it but he should be made aware of it.

Aramark is not long for this campus if they continue to screw Student orgnizations out of their rightful gains. They should be professionals at this kind of thing and they are for the most part, and maybe they are at capacity at CAS. CAS did not have a concession stand on opening day in 1962, or if they did it was ran by the Letterman's Club, so this has been a missed opportunity for a long time. I think Doug Nemietz did a good job for many years, but the movement to D1 gave him more than what he could handle. I thought Aramark added some good numbers for the BOR report, but their quality is not that great. There are things they can improve on.

Comment

I guess I can see both sides of the argument. Aramark has the contract and are counting on the income from these games as part of a bid. I'm all for having student organizations and other vendors but it isn't right to wreck their bottom line. From what I know, Aramark has been a pretty good partner to the AD.

I'm with everyone that the new stadium will improve things a lot. They're having to do a lot with a less than ideal faciility.

Maybe it's time to open the tailgate up for halftime?

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
          THIS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post

SUPERBUNNY
            Looks like a t-bone collision in the making. There will be more drinking than eating going on. Those who have crossed line from a social drinker to a problem drinker would love this. No you are asking for problems we dont have now by doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Looks like a t-bone collision in the making. There will be more drinking than eating going on. Those who have crossed line from a social drinker to a problem drinker would love this. No you are asking for problems we dont have now by doing this.
              Our group went out at half time and had a beer and a burger. Cop came by and said to dump out the beers. I said, we'll finish them, no use wasting good beer. He smiled, said okay, and drove on. If one doesn't act like a total deviant, one should be allowed to have a brat and beer at half time. This is simply my opinion and I will not raise a stink about it with the AD. It happened in the priority lot so that may have an impact. The police seem to patrol the backyard more seriously than the priority parking lot.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                Our group went out at half time and had a beer and a burger. Cop came by and said to dump out the beers. I said, we'll finish them, no use wasting good beer. He smiled, said okay, and drove on. If one doesn't act like a total deviant, one should be allowed to have a brat and beer at half time. This is simply my opinion and I will not raise a stink about it with the AD. It happened in the priority lot so that may have an impact. The police seem to patrol the backyard more seriously than the priority parking lot.
                If everyone can act responsible as you and your friends, its not big deal, but it takes one fool to ruin it for everyone and everyone includes innocent people who came to watch a football game and might end up like the 17 year old at 22nd ave and 6th st. I have said enough.

Comment

If everyone can act responsible as you and your friends, its not big deal, but it takes one fool to ruin it for everyone and everyone includes innocent people who came to watch a football game and might end up like the 17 year old at 22nd ave and 6th st. I have said enough.
                  No, I agree Nidaros. It does only take one fool to ruin it. Its definitely a thin line and the AD obviously errs on the side of caution.
                  "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                  "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

If you search the law of SD, technically no alcohol is to be served on state property. I noticed we just got punch only at the Endowment banquet held at the Volstorff Ballroom inside the Union last Friday evening. No doubt a thrist or two went unquenched that evening.The stuff tasted terrible. I know this adnauseuem TALK but the AD and Pres are laying their jobs on the line in allowing tailgating drinking at all. I would have a hard time doing this if I were ever near their shoes. All you young guys have no fear I never ever get that close to those decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                      Here's one guy who would have walked across the field to get a brat because the concessions under the grandstands were ridiculously long. They NEED to get more windows open somewhere for the next home game. It was crazy with 10.5K, I can't imagine what 14K would look like against NDSU with the same setup.
                      I did walk across to see if there was anything over on SE side and then went back to the Main Grandstand concessions and the line was still too long to try and make it back even close to kickoff of second half. I'm conscious at events like many of what little things beyond the ticket I can contribute to athletic bottom line like programs, concessions etc. Every little bit adds up, but fail to see what opening up the backyard at halftime will contribute back to the university other than potential headaches.

Comment

If you search the law of SD, technically no alcohol is to be served on state property.
                        I think the key word is served. If you bring your our alcohol, does that count as being served? Isn't the presidents house on state property? How about the alumni center? There are normally exceptions to the rule if you know the right people.
                        I'm not saying that things aren't fine the way they are but these are some exceptions to the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                          I think the key word is served. If you bring your our alcohol, does that count as being served? Isn't the presidents house on state property? How about the alumni center? There are normally exceptions to the rule if you know the right people.
                          I'm not saying that things aren't fine the way they are but these are some exceptions to the rule.
                          There are indeed exceptions. That's because the President has authority from the Board of Regents to decide where, on campus, alcohol can be served. He has used that on a number of occasions at the Performing Arts Center, at events I have attended. The reason Nidaros didn't see any alcohol at the Endowment Banquet, is that the event is planned for donors to meet their scholarship recipients, and the university has apparently decided not to serve alcohol at that event. The tailgate opening for alcohol came from discussions between the university and the city, as I recall it, and out of that was worked a compromise to allow alcohol in the tailgate area, with two exceptions: no kegs, and all such beverages must be in a container or, in the case of beer, covered by a cousie. As long as that happens, security won't bother the tailgate patrons in regards to possesion of alcohol.

Comment

I was kind of joking on that part and should have made that more apparent. There's probably a way to put a tongue-in-cheek smiley face on there but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. For most people it would be fine to do it but it just takes one to make a tragic event.

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

People that want to drink will find ways to drink, such as bringing a flask into the stadium. *whistles*
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                People that want to drink will find ways to drink, such as bringing a flask into the stadium. *whistles*
                                This is what we did on Saturday.

Nidaros, do you feel like there shouldn't be drinking allowed at tailgating?
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X