Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southern Utah - Gameday Thread

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
    So. Utah had all the momentum since the long TD pass and making the 2 pt. conversion to get back to 29-15. Gutsy call by their coach and a good call. Coach Stig would have done the same thing.Easy to 2nd guess after the fact.
    They had to score a lot of points in a short time period,you can't be consevative when you put yourself in that position.The scary part is they almost pulled it off!

Comment

Soon I hope, the ball will go in the direction of Dale Moss He will do the rest!

Comment

Just because your name is Dale Moss doesn't mean that you can come to fall camp, practice with the team for 2 weeks and expect to come out step in front of other players that have worked hard year in and year out, dedicated themselves to football and waited patiently for their turn. I'm not saying that Dale Moss is not good, I'm just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by NewJack View Post
          Just because your name is Dale Moss doesn't mean that you can come to fall camp, practice with the team for 2 weeks and expect to come out step in front of other players that have worked hard year in and year out, dedicated themselves to football and waited patiently for their turn. I'm not saying that Dale Moss is not good, I'm just saying.
          Here we go again. I believe the coaching staff will use the players that they think have the best chance to make plays and win games. It makes no difference to me if it's Dale Moss,a redshirt freshman or a fifth year senior. Players should be admired for long-term dedication to the program,but a guarantee of playing time because of it doesn't necessarily translate into winning games.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Here we go again. I believe the coaching staff will use the players that they think have the best chance to make plays and win games. It makes no difference to me if it's Dale Moss,a redshirt freshman or a fifth year senior. Players should be admired for long-term dedication to the program,but a guarantee of playing time because of it doesn't necessarily translate into winning games.
            We all know Stig is very loyal to upper classmen and that is a good thing. I have no idea how good Dale will look. They certainly didn't have him come out for football if they didn't feel he could contribute. He will get his chance but Stig will make him earn it that is a fact.

Sidenote- Dale was a pretty well built basketball player. He looked a lot leaner in the football uni than I thought he would. Anyone else think that?

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Superbunny, you are right and that's all I'm sayin. There is a lot to learn in that play book...routes to run, offense, getting used to the qb, what the coaches like/dislike and so on and so on. It's not something that you can come to camp for 2 weeks and learn. Stig will definately make him earn his playtime. Now, can he do it? Yes he can if he wants to!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NewJack View Post
                Superbunny, you are right and that's all I'm sayin. There is a lot to learn in that play book...routes to run, offense, getting used to the qb, what the coaches like/dislike and so on and so on. It's not something that you can come to camp for 2 weeks and learn. Stig will definately make him earn his playtime. Now, can he do it? Yes he can if he wants to!!!
                Agree with you NewJack that it takes a lot of time to learn the playbook; but after watching Dale's interview on gojacks.com he said he has spent a lot of time this past spring and this summer learning the playbook. Now is that enough time? I hope so and we will find out.

Comment

I wasn't at the game, I just watched the condensed version on gojacks.com. I have been a Meadows basher for a couple of years now, I think he is predictable, doesn't use the weapons available, and in my opinion doesn't make good in-game adjustments.
                  When I saw swing pass after swing pass, I got concerned again. First of all, I know it was working for most of the game, but c'mon. Good lord if they try that against a speedy Illinois defense our backs are going to be destroyed. I hope this is just the first week, if it isn't broke don't fix it type of play calling, although history tells me something different.
                  People who were at the game, tell me my concerns are unwarranted please! History tells me something different and we are going to keep trying this play over and over again, while well coached defenses will make very simple adjustments and take that play away, and then we are sitting at 3rd and long all game long.

Comment

We were simply taking what the defense gives us as they were blitzing quite a bit, and almost everytime we called it, it was successful. I am only concerned about conference play and we'll see if this offense can score on the likes of Northern Iowa and NDSU.......

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                      People who were at the game, tell me my concerns are unwarranted please!
                      Your concerns are unwarranted.

If the opposing team is going to leave the flats open on almost every play it makes sense to keep on throwing there, and that's what the Jacks offense did with tremendous success. I doubt Illinois will be employing the same defensive strategy, so you shouldn't expect to see the swing pass/bubble screens as much.

I was pleased with the play calling for the first 3 quarters of the game, but when we got up big I thought we started playing not-to-lose rather than to win and let them get back in the game. If it wasn't for that 4th quarter I would have been ecstatic about the offensive and defensive strategies for the game.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

I was pleased with the play calling for the first 3 quarters of the game, but when we got up big I thought we started playing not-to-lose rather than to win and let them get back in the game.
                        That is precisely what I am talking about. Play calling not to lose rather than stepping on their throat when you have the chance, i.e. the Montana game. I am glad they called a good game for 3 quarters, now if they could figure out that 4th quarter I would feel a whole lot better. I will trust the last few posts and hope it continues.

Comment

My thoughts. The pregame stunk. Even though it was better then last year it was still bad IMO. See other thread to get my suggestions for it.

The game started ok, we looked the better team the first half but the score really didnt show it. I told my dad when the game started that the team going to the south in the 4th quarter would win, and dang near did. I thought we left a lot of points on the field. The kicking game, ugh. I think its time to give the younger guys a chance for FG and let harris just do kick offs which he is really good at.

TOB looked better this year then last year but still made a few bad throws. There were probably 3 he shouldnt have even tried, but there were 3 or so which he and the WR were totally on a different page with either the route our timing of the route. the WR looked good. I think we are set there this year. Not even sure if Rollin got a chatch and he might be our best WR. Hubert is great at getting seperation over the middle. Kool and Zenner I thought were both just a few plays away each from busting out some long runs. The Oline was good, but not great, I would love to see them use some different blocking schemes instead of running between guard and tackel every other side. Our RBs are to talented to waste trying to just stay in the middle. The swing pass worked well and TOB seems comfortble with it. I feel he is to comfy with it because we saw Minnett run it a lot last year too even when there were better options available.

The Dline looked to get a little tired but for the most dominated the line for 3 quarters. The LBs where good, the DBs kept on their guy for the most part but just need to learn to watch the WR eyes, when his eyes go up to look for the ball, they better turn thier heads too. If the WR just keeps running you stay with them but follow their eyes.

speacial teams needs some work on FG and the return game, coverage was pretty darn good. Sad thing is we were probably the better team and played most of the game like it but almost lost because of a few mistakes from players and coaches alike.

Over all and win is a win is a win. but there were good at bad. Mostly just needing to clean up a few things on both sides of the ball. TB making better choices. eliminate the WTF moments, and the DBs learning to play the ball. The good thing is nothing really seemed to be really bad, except maybe the kicking game.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
                            We were simply taking what the defense gives us as they were blitzing quite a bit, and almost everytime we called it, it was successful. I am only concerned about conference play and we'll see if this offense can score on the likes of Northern Iowa and NDSU.......
                            same old song and dance- just another yr- we give 10 yard cushions to their Wr's and they rack up the yardage. Our opponents give us a 4-5 yard cushion and we still don't threaten them down the field. Watch for more int's returned for TD's if this continues.

Comment

Forgot to mention, my sons first game, he slept through most of it but did really well. actually liked the crowd and noise, when ever the crowd cheered, he stopped fussing. only at half time he got crabby...I figured it was because the marching band didnt play, which really bugged me but that is another post. Otherwise I was one proud dad that my 7 week old son was at his first game.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
                                I wasn't at the game, I just watched the condensed version on gojacks.com. I have been a Meadows basher for a couple of years now, I think he is predictable, doesn't use the weapons available, and in my opinion doesn't make good in-game adjustments.
                                When I saw swing pass after swing pass, I got concerned again. First of all, I know it was working for most of the game, but c'mon. Good lord if they try that against a speedy Illinois defense our backs are going to be destroyed. I hope this is just the first week, if it isn't broke don't fix it type of play calling, although history tells me something different.
                                People who were at the game, tell me my concerns are unwarranted please! History tells me something different and we are going to keep trying this play over and over again, while well coached defenses will make very simple adjustments and take that play away, and then we are sitting at 3rd and long all game long.
                                Warranted. Our play calling sucks.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X