Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southern Utah

Originally posted by goon View Post
    There are excuses for many people, but really to support the program, every game is important to build that base support. And frankly it is more fun and better game then any other options out there IMO.
    There are only five home games in a season. As soon as the schedule comes out, I mark it down so my wife knows not to even think of planning something those weekends. I planned my wedding last fall around our football schedule. Additionally, I would have no problem skipping someone else's wedding if they decided to get married on an SDSU home game. Selfish? Maybe. Would they even miss me? Highly doubtful.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      I just checked on gojacks.com and as of now you can pretty much pick your seat on the east side.
      The East Side seems to be more for the walk up crowd traditionally (outside of Hobo Day). It doesn't appear that there is a GA ticket available anymore with South endzone now being reserved for the band and overflow student seating. I wonder if that will hurt attendance at all?
      “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        One question from audience was: Compared to last year, how does our over all speed compare? We are much slower this year with exceptions.
        This surprises me that Stig came out and said that...as I look at the skill positions, I don't see how we could be "much slower"

RB - We are definitely faster
        WR - We basically return last years group, with I assume Trevor T replacing Tyrel - so we shouldn't lose any speed there.
        TE - I'm guessing that Daughters is just as fast as Cochart, but that would just be a guess
        QB - same occupant = slow last year, slow this year.

DL - Same DE's with the addition of Peete playing a more prominent role. I would think he would bring some speed to the end.
        LB - Losing Domino will hurt, i think he was fast enough and lenthgy enough to have to avoid playing a nickel at times because he was that good in pass coverage. But overall, I don't think seeing more of Tracy, Feller, or Kilgore and company would slow us down much.
        DB - This maybe the one area where we will miss the speed/skill of Brodie and Jeske.

There are places where we may be missing a speed/skill guy from last year, but I wouldn't have thought our overall team speed is much slower. Obviously Stig knows better than us though - I hope we have good schemes in place to make up the difference.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
          There are only five home games in a season. As soon as the schedule comes out, I mark it down so my wife knows not to even think of planning something those weekends. I planned my wedding last fall around our football schedule. Additionally, I would have no problem skipping someone else's wedding if they decided to get married on an SDSU home game. Selfish? Maybe. Would they even miss me? Highly doubtful.
          That was a stipulation when my wife and I got married. We can marry in Oct, if no sdsu games. Also for the honeymoon too. I year I missed a game because of my sisters wedding. It was when Davis played in SF. I almost got a way to get to part of the game but they knew i would be late so I couldnt go. When I took my current job, I made sure weekend rotation fits around sdsu games.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I cant speak for Goon, but in 2009 we started out with a 4-1 season and we lost 2 games in a row towards the end, SIU and U of Minnesota. So maybe that is an exception in slow starts, but sometimes its been because we were out matched in talent such 2006 when we stumbled and lost to LaCrossee, not a talent gap, Montana and UNI and then turned around with wins at Nichols State and McNeese, so you can use the media guide and past scores and argue both ways.

I will share a few things I picked up at the Difference Makers meeting.

This year's team has no "star" as evidenced no picks in the preseason all star teams. Just ask Emory what's his name, he is not impressed and picked us 8th place finish in MVFBC. Its a year were new people will have to step up. One question from audience was: Compared to last year, how does our over all speed compare? We are much slower this year with exceptions. Tyrell Kool is much quicker than Kyle Minnett, and they will run plays to exploit this ability. Plays that were not run last year.
            Trevor Tiefentaler has not dropped a pass in spring or fall camp, and has by far been the most disciplined in running routes.

So there are some positives and not every thing that happen in camp was discussed. Moss was mentioned and Coach Stig said he found him in the lounge on Sunday Morning studying film for learning how he could be a better player. Its amazing how quick he has learned and there is a great deal to learn.

The two UNO players are going to be a plus. The punter is enrolled only for the fall semester and will return to UNO to practice teach and get his teaching creditials. Both are good kids according to Stig, Hettinger came close to making it as a starter. Although a defensive player, he has a throwing arm and can throw about 70-75 yards.

SUU has 8 starters on Offense and 7 on defense returning, and they nearly beat San Jose State last year and man handled Cal Poly and UC Davis. This is a good program but if we play great, we can win.

So there is some thing to chew on.

MUCH slower? That is concerning to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
              This surprises me that Stig came out and said that...as I look at the skill positions, I don't see how we could be "much slower"

WR - We basically return last years group, with I assume Trevor T replacing Tyrel - so we shouldn't lose any speed there.
              TE - I'm guessing that Daughters is just as fast as Cochart, but that would just be a guess

DL - Same DE's with the addition of Peete playing a more prominent role. I would think he would bring some speed to the end.
              LB - Losing Domino will hurt, i think he was fast enough and lenthgy enough to have to avoid playing a nickel at times because he was that good in pass coverage. But overall, I don't think seeing more of Tracy, Feller, or Kilgore and company would slow us down much.
              DB - This maybe the one area where we will miss the speed/skill of Brodie and Jeske.

There are places where we may be missing a speed/skill guy from last year, but I wouldn't have thought our overall team speed is much slower. Obviously Stig knows better than us though - I hope we have good schemes in place to make up the difference.
              We looked slow at times last year compared to previous years IMO. Maybe the effort or excitement on the side line was not there either. My mom even noticed the team didnt look fired up to play. We have been burnt by teams with good speed, so hopefully your right, I dont really see us slower at most postions, but we were a relatively slow team IMO.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                That was a stipulation when my wife and I got married. We can marry in Oct, if no sdsu games. Also for the honeymoon too. I year I missed a game because of my sisters wedding. It was when Davis played in SF. I almost got a way to get to part of the game but they knew i would be late so I couldnt go. When I took my current job, I made sure weekend rotation fits around sdsu games.
                You, sir, are a fan. Rep points.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                  You, sir, are a fan. Rep points.
                  Just doing what I feel all jacks fans would do. My wife knows the importance of having season tickets so we have those, will have my son in his first game wearing his "my first sdsu football game" onsie. He typically has a melt down and cries and screams from around 7-9 at night. so if any one hears crying and the team is not getting their butts kicked, it is him trying to channel his crabby pants into chearing for the jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

Maybe my useage of "much" might have been an overstatement. In making that comment, I believe Stig was taking into account all 95 guys on the squad and comparing to the same tests that they ran this year and last.

Reminds me of President Clinton and his argurment of denial based on conclusion of meaning of "is". (I am still trying to figure that one out.)

I agree with your assessment, and also he mentioned we dont have someone with the same quickness to replace Cole Brodie at CB, or two years ago Konrad Kjerstad. Both played their position in an excellent fashion. What I took away from this meeting was that Stig was as upbeat as he ever was about beating SUU, and he doubted that SUU changed any schemes and they were doing the game plan based on last years videos. Yes there are different schemes which I mentioned in my original post, ones designed to use Tyrell Kool's quickness at running back and these plays would have been a disaster if Minnett was still in the backfield. This was what Stig told us. Minnett was not a bolt of lightning, my words, but had ways of working around defenders for extra yardage. Minnett's numbers speak for themselves.

I think the bottom line is that there are a lot of new faces whose time as come to step up and show what they can do. Tief might be one of those who really shines if he can continue his streak of completed passes. TOB I believe he said has made progress in assessing the damage from making a turnover and apparently has made fewer of them in practice. Also Austin Sumner is not ready mentally to step in unless an injury occurs to TOB. He is number two and will be forced into action.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 08-31-2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Coach Stig's "we have no stars" mantra that has been appearing throughout much of the preseason seems to be getting some Jackrabbit fans nervous about the talent level of this year's team, but we need to take a step back and understand who that message is really directed towards, and that is the players themselves.

Last year the Jackrabbits came into the season with 4 players (Minett, Domino, McKnight, and Brodie) who were carrying all sorts of preseason accolades, and while those players did live up to their billing, other players failed to step up which coincided with a losing record. This just shows that if everyone isn't doing their "1/11", the team will falter, and the "no stars" statement is meant to get the players to buy back into the philosophy that has been so successful over the years with less "physically gifted" players. There is plenty of talent on this team, they just need to play better as a whole than they did last year.

Trust me, there are plenty of stars on this team, the coaches just don't want them to outshine the team as a whole.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        Coach Stig's "we have no stars" mantra that has been appearing throughout much of the preseason seems to be getting some Jackrabbit fans nervous about the talent level of this year's team, but we need to take a step back and understand who that message is really directed towards, and that is the players themselves.

Last year the Jackrabbits came into the season with 4 players (Minett, Domino, McKnight, and Brodie) who were carrying all sorts of preseason accolades, and while those players did live up to their billing, other players failed to step up which coincided with a losing record. This just shows that if everyone isn't doing their "1/11", the team will falter, and the "no stars" statement is meant to get the players to buy back into the philosophy that has been so successful over the years with less "physically gifted" players. There is plenty of talent on this team, they just need to play better as a whole than they did last year.

Trust me, there are plenty of stars on this team, the coaches just don't want them to outshine the team as a whole.
                        Also one of the incoming classes had a bunch leave the program. I would think they would be Juniors this year. I remember asking TV about this in a chat and he said something to the affect that this would eventually hurt the program. No doubt it has.

Good points made and rep pts given. I am sure Coach Stig is looking for ways to motivate his people. Thats what we are paying for.

Comment

Also one of the incoming classes had a bunch leave the program. I would think they would be Juniors this year. I remember asking TV about this in a chat and he said something to the affect that this would eventually hurt the program. No doubt it has.

Good points made and rep pts given. I am sure Coach Stig is looking for ways to motivate his people. Thats what we are paying for.
                          You get more players and you keep on trucking.....no excuses, get those younger guys ready and let them play 4 years, bet they aren't complaining about it. Damn, these discussions are getting old, I want to see some fool's ball dammit!!!!!!
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                            You get more players and you keep on trucking.....no excuses, get those younger guys ready and let them play 4 years, bet they aren't complaining about it. Damn, these discussions are getting old, I want to see some fool's ball dammit!!!!!!
                            Obviously they have gotten those players and I for one am not making excuses. If these discussions are getting old then go to work and do the the things your employer is paying to do and stop wasting his time.

Comment

Obviously they have gotten those players and I for one am not making excuses. If these discussions are getting old then go to work and do the the things your employer is paying to do and stop wasting his time.
                              Hey...are you in my office? Fortunately my employer get's more than he pays for with me, despite my little forays onto the Jacks forums, a good friend of mine once said if we got fired for surfing the internet, the whole country would be unemployed.....and I was merely expressing I really want the football season to start......
                              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                                Hey...are you in my office? Fortunately my employer get's more than he pays for with me, despite my little forays onto the Jacks forums, a good friend of mine once said if we got fired for surfing the internet, the whole country would be unemployed.....and I was merely expressing I really want the football season to start......
                                So I am not the only one at work who is checks here? Hope I.T. never audits how many times i click on this site...unless they are also an SDSU fan, then I wont worry.

Comment

Working...
                                X