X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fall Camp

the
    Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    In the media guide he's listed #1 on the depth chart as the 'X' receiver. Something tells me he'll be more involved than just for end-zone fade routes.
    the more depth the better! I wish we were as deep at corner and D-Tackle!

Comment

I can't take it. This board is way to quiet with the first game just weeks away. Unless people are still busy enjoying their summer or digging out from flooding, I figured this board would be a little more lively.

I am really looking forward to that first game for sure. Considering I get to bring my 1 month old son to his first game. Kick off is usually around his freak out time, so maybe he will make some noise in the stands for his first game.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

and Cochart also was great at dropping passes too. I feel that played into it also. As long as moss isn't dropping catches, he will get a chance.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Well I haven't read or heard too much to comment on.

I have seen some players mention that the passing game/offense has been taking it to the D. But I'm not sure if that means we are improved in that area, or if our DB's are getting burned.

The Southern Utah game has me really nervous as it could be a make or break type game. The early schedule is tough and a loss could have us starting off poorly.... again. (starting poorly seems to be our mantra)

The good news is that S. Utah's All-American QB did lose his top 3 WR's so hopefully he isn't clicking from game one.

Some new names that will be popping up this coming season:

JR TE Seth Daughters
          He has the size and athleticism, it will be interesting to see what effect he will have in the passing game.

JR C Will Castle
          Losing an All-American center typically would be a bad thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't much drop off with Castle. Judging by the fact that they moved McKnight over to guard for a couple games suggests to me that they wanted to find someway to get Castle into the game.

RFR WR Jason Schneider, So Trevor Tiefenthaler & So Brandon Hubert
          Schneider's name popped up alot last season as a player redshirting that was doing some very good things. Tiefenthaler comes in with more muscle and should be more than just a deep threat and Brandon Hubert came in last season as an unknown and ended up being a consistent, sure handed receiver. Dale Moss & Aaron Rollin seem to get more attention, but I wouldn't doubt that these 3 catch alot of passes this season.

JR DT Bryan Burke
          Like most JUCO's, you might not see much of Burke in the first couple games as he becomes more familiar with the system, but at 6'4" 290, he could be the bigger DT that the Jacks probably need.

SO DE Anthony Peete
          Peete played some last year as a redshirt freshman being used as a blitzing fourth LB on some passing situations. This year he's added the weight to be moved to DE and should push returning starter Zach Bowers for playing time.

JR LB Chris Tracy
          Tracy is listed as the starting LB, beating out good players like Erich Feller & Ross Shafrath. It seems in the limited time Tracy has played he always comes up with big plays and tackles.
          Last edited by mitchell; 08-19-2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Mitchell. I think you are right on with the receivers. I have heard that those three are having a great camp so far. Hopefully they can stay injury free. Schneider has the length but not sure how fast he is. Hubert will hit the seams of the d and Tiefenthaler definetely has the speed and has put on some muscle!!

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
              Well I haven't read or heard too much to comment on.

I have seen some players mention that the passing game/offense has been taking it to the D. But I'm not sure if that means we are improved in that area, or if our DB's are getting burned.

The Southern Utah game has me really nervous as it could be a make or break type game. The early schedule is tough and a loss could have us starting off poorly.... again. (starting poorly seems to be our mantra)

The good news is that S. Utah's All-American QB did lose his top 3 WR's so hopefully he isn't clicking from game one.

Some new names that will be popping up this coming season:

JR TE Seth Daughters
              He has the size and athleticism, it will be interesting to see what effect he will have in the passing game.

JR C Will Castle
              Losing an All-American center typically would be a bad thing, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't much drop off with Castle. Judging by the fact that they moved McKnight over to guard for a couple games suggests to me that they wanted to find someway to get Castle into the game.

RFR WR Jason Schneider, So Trevor Tiefenthaler & So Brandon Hubert
              Schneider's name popped up alot last season as a player redshirting that was doing some very good things. Tiefenthaler comes in with more muscle and should be more than just a deep threat and Brandon Hubert came in last season as an unknown and ended up being a consistent, sure handed receiver. Dale Moss & Aaron Rollin seem to get more attention, but I wouldn't doubt that these 3 catch alot of passes this season.

JR DT Bryan Burke
              Like most JUCO's, you might not see much of Burke in the first couple games as he becomes more familiar with the system, but at 6'4" 290, he could be the bigger DT that the Jacks probably need.

SO DE Anthony Peete
              Peete played some last year as a redshirt freshman being used as a blitzing fourth LB on some passing situations. This year he's added the weight to be moved to DE and should push returning starter Zach Bowers for playing time.

JR LB Chris Tracy
              Tracy is listed as the starting LB, beating out good players like Erich Feller & Ross Shafrath. It seems in the limited time Tracy has played he always comes up with big plays and tackles.
              Any updates on a new offense/defense depth chart?

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
                Thanks, Mitchell. I think you are right on with the receivers. I have heard that those three are having a great camp so far. Hopefully they can stay injury free. Schneider has the length but not sure how fast he is. Hubert will hit the seams of the d and Tiefenthaler definetely has the speed and has put on some muscle!!
                Sounds like the Wr's are doing well. Write up in the argus today.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                  Sounds like the Wr's are doing well. Write up in the argus today.
                  I'm curious to see if the WRs are doing well or if the secondary is that bad. The secondary is definitely one of the big question marks of this team.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Eidsness says TOB is the #1 with Sumner #2 but needing to learn a lot. Kline will readshirt so he isn't an issue. TOB needs to take what the defense gives him and not try to overextend himself. Didn't say much else.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Eidsness says TOB is the #1 with Sumner #2 but needing to learn a lot. Kline will readshirt so he isn't an issue. TOB needs to take what the defense gives him and not try to overextend himself. Didn't say much else.
                      I watched the scrimmage the other day and both guys looked pretty well. I was surprised to see how well Sumner moved when he ran the ball.

Comment

I watched the scrimmage the other day and both guys looked pretty well. I was surprised to see how well Sumner moved when he ran the ball.
                        Just curious but do we have a option qb in Sumner. Seems like the last 20 QB's had ten pounds of concrete on each foot. With a strong line holding their blocks I guess it has worked, but would love to see some new rinkles in the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          Just curious but do we have a option qb in Sumner. Seems like the last 20 QB's had ten pounds of concrete on each foot. With a strong line holding their blocks I guess it has worked, but would love to see some new rinkles in the offense.
                          It was a boot leg if I remember right and he gained 25-30 yards. He definitely runs better than TOB but TOB has a stronger arm imo

Comment

From what I understand, Sumner isn't an option type of Qb but a player that can tuck it and get 5-10 yards if a play breaks down. More of a big, strong runner at 6'5" 225 than a speedster that can get outside.

Comment

It was a boot leg if I remember right and he gained 25-30 yards. He definitely runs better than TOB but TOB has a stronger arm imo
                              After last season, I'm more concerned with accuracy, pocket awareness, and intestinal fortitude. All 3 seemed to be lacking at times last season.
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                                After last season, I'm more concerned with accuracy, pocket awareness, and intestinal fortitude. All 3 seemed to be lacking at times last season.
                                Eidness touched on these issues. Sometimes the QB's best play is to put his down and take a hit. He also mentioned that Sumner has the tools just needs the experience. Still learning the ropes as they pertain to the DI level including progressing through his options and reading the defense before the ball is snapped.

I respect TOB for the confidence he has in his arm. What I don't see from him is the leadership and confidence necessary to be a great QB. Perhaps he has developed some of that this year. When you watch him over center and in the pocket I don't get the sense he knows where to be looking, heading next he just seems to be chucking it and hoping sometimes.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X