Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MVFC Preseason predictions....book 'em here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MVFC Preseason predictions....book 'em here!

1. UNI
    2. NDSU
    3. ISU-Blue
    4. Southern Illinois
    5. Youngstown
    6. SDSU
    7. Western
    8. ISU-Red
    9. MSU

Comment

1. UNI
      2. NDSU
      3. ISU-Blue
      4. Southern Illinois
      5. SDSU
      6. ISU-Red
      7. YSU
      8. WIU
      9. MSU

UNI should be a really potent team this year as return 18 starters off last years MVFC AQ.
      Cows will be experienced and great on D, and have a better offense than last year.
      ISU-Blue shows that they are for real, as the "new" coach, and alumnus, game plan kicks in in this, his fourth season. ISU-blue won't be the easy W for the rest of the league any more.
      SIU - has SDSU, NDSU and UNI on the road, at best they go 1-2.
      SDSU has all 4 of the top teams at home. UNI may be the only one to escape Brookings with a W. If Jacks win at home, I like their chances of going 4-0 on the road. If SDSU loses this year in MVFC action, likely at home.
      ISU-Red - Should be a decent team. some FBS transfers, ok recruits, and a solid base. About .500.
      YSU - 50!!!! new faces. That's too many. After a slow start, this team may jell, but more a threat in 2012.
      WIU - Is again without a dominant star. look for a repeat of 2009, not 2010.
      MSU - This team will be bagged and tagged with 0-4, 0-5 start, and done in Sept. Terry Allen booted, but coffers filled with two BCS opponents paying bills. only the 4 MVFC home games, all OOC on road. Terry Allen may even get booted in Oct.

Comment

Originally posted by ndsubison1 View Post
        1. UNI
        2. NDSU
        3. ISU-Blue
        4. Southern Illinois
        5. Youngstown
        6. SDSU
        7. Western
        8. ISU-Red
        9. MSU
        I hope you post your predictions on a ndsu forum. Makes more sense to me than posting here!

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
          As will I, but I am putting us higher than my head tells me. If I weren't acting like a homer and used my head I'd pick us fifth. Here is my guess:

1. UNI
          2. NDSU
          3. SDSU
          4. ISU-B
          5. SIU
          6. YSU
          7. ISU-R
          8. WIU
          9. MSU
          That's my best case scenario, too. Given the fact that we can't buy two cupcake-wins a year like NDSU, I'd say third would be a really good finish.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

6-2 in conference is achievable if we improve or turnover ratio and have an efficient offense. That is asking for a lot. Even if we have that, I think we need to see a lot better pass rush than we have in the recent pass. Without pressure on the QB teams are going to light us up in the air and that will open up the ground game, especially outside the tackles, big time.

Where will 6-2 put us? Perhaps in a tie for 1st place. Without a + TO ratio, better pass rush and better offensive efficiency we aren't better than 4-4 and in the middle of the pack outside of the playoffs. Need to reduce mental errors and limit penalties as well. In 2009 we had something like 48 total penalties in the regular season. Last year we had closer to 80.

No idea what our special teams are going to look like. Will Kyle kick or the Syrovotka kid from SF? Who is going to do the punting? Who will be the return guys? Not Tyrel if he is the primary RB.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              6-2 in conference is achievable if we improve or turnover ratio and have an efficient offense. That is asking for a lot. Even if we have that, I think we need to see a lot better pass rush than we have in the recent pass. Without pressure on the QB teams are going to light us up in the air and that will open up the ground game, especially outside the tackles, big time.

Where will 6-2 put us? Perhaps in a tie for 1st place. Without a + TO ratio, better pass rush and better offensive efficiency we aren't better than 4-4 and in the middle of the pack outside of the playoffs. Need to reduce mental errors and limit penalties as well. In 2009 we had something like 48 total penalties in the regular season. Last year we had closer to 80.

No idea what our special teams are going to look like. Will Kyle kick or the Syrovotka kid from SF? Who is going to do the punting? Who will be the return guys? Not Tyrel if he is the primary RB.
              Tyrel was not a return guy last year. Last year return guys were these if I remember right.. Punt Return Brodie and I don't remember the 2nd guy KO returners were Brodie, Tiefenthaler, Dom Claire My take this year for punt return would be Dom Wright and Bo Helm, KO returners- Tiefenthaler, Dom Claire and Dom Wright Its just a guess

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                Tyrel was not a return guy last year. Last year return guys were these if I remember right.. Punt Return Brodie and I don't remember the 2nd guy KO returners were Brodie, Tiefenthaler, Dom Claire My take this year for punt return would be Dom Wright and Bo Helm, KO returners- Tiefenthaler, Dom Claire and Dom Wright Its just a guess
                I know Tyrel was not the primary returner, Brodie was, Tyrel was back there with Gant on occasion, none of them looked comfortable. When I last visited with Stig he wondered out loud who would replace the unreplaceable Cole Brodie. If you know Stig, he doesn't like to refer to anyone as "not replaceable". My point being, there are unanswered questions all over the field making any predictions about this years team extremely difficult to back up with facts.

I remain very optimistic but also realistic, this years team cannot be expected to win the MVFC and have an outside shot at the playoffs at best. Of course, the same was said about the 2009 team that did just that.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I think returner is one of the lesser of our worries.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    I think returner is one of the lesser of our worries.
                    Again, just expressing the same concern our coach expressed. Didn't mean to imply I was worried, just another uncertainty. Seems to me the coaches have done a pretty good job of finding the right guy the last few years and I suspect they will again. Not so sure at kicker.

Comment

1st. SDSU
                      2-9. Does it really matter.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        I remain very optimistic but also realistic, this years team cannot be expected to win the MVFC and have an outside shot at the playoffs at best. Of course, the same was said about the 2009 team that did just that.
                        I generally agree. I don't really have expectations but I see no reason whatsoever for some of the pessimism I'm detecting from a few.

With summer winding down, I've been reading a lot of predictions about various teams in which I have some interest. Many teams are touting freshmen and sophomores with little experience. We've been recruiting well and I think the program has been building a winning mentality--had some bad hiccups last season but lots of program do that. Every team is bound to have those years in which it seems the rosters show a little too much youth and lack of experience but the guys joining our program have impressive credentials and I have to believe they're not worried about their age or level of experience.

MVFC 2011
                        1. UNI*
                        2. SDSU*
                        3. ISU-Red*
                        4. SIU
                        5. NDSU
                        6. WIU
                        7. ISU-Blue
                        8. MSU
                        9. YSU

*Playoffs

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                          I hope you post your predictions on a ndsu forum. Makes more sense to me than posting here!
                          I already post on Bisonville

Comment

Working...
                          X