Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fall camp

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
    who will be the tight end to replace Cochart this fall? Wonder if Sumner is #2 behind O Brian or if its JThomas?
    We're pretty thin at TE.

JR Seth Daughters should start but there isn't much depth. Brad Iverson switched from WR to TE but will probably won't have the necessary weight to be a blocker. According TV, we added a JUCO LB who looks like is switching to TE.

The other TE spot will be manned by Sr Sheehan with So Benedetto backing him up. If need be, maybe Benedetto can back up both TE spots.

We're also pretty thin at CB with Boykins & Crenshaw being dismissed from the team. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the freshman play right away. I was hoping to get the good CB from UNO but NDSU signed him.

Comment

and I hear good things about the Zenner kid as a backup to TKool.
      What about our senior Dominique Claire? Are you already counting him out? He like Kool also has more speed than Minnett and I have heard he broke a couple of Minnetts lifting records this past winter. I think he can contribute if he has a good fall camp. We will need a guy that can take some carries up the middle since Kool is only 185 lbs.. I believe Clare is around 220..

I dont know why people get so worried every year when we lose a couple players. Every team loses a big name guy every year. That is the only way you will ever find out who has been waiting to blossom hiding underneath the glory of the previous jackrabbit starter. We should be excited about who is going to step up for us this year. People get 5 years and then they are not on the team anymore. This team is not thinking once about Minnett or Mcknight.. That is NOT their team.. Someone will fill the shoes of Domino, Minett, Cochart, Brodie... The question is just who wants it bad enough..

Comment

Originally posted by jack2007 View Post
        What about our senior Dominique Claire? Are you already counting him out? He like Kool also has more speed than Minnett and I have heard he broke a couple of Minnetts lifting records this past winter. I think he can contribute if he has a good fall camp. We will need a guy that can take some carries up the middle since Kool is only 185 lbs.. I believe Clare is around 220..

I dont know why people get so worried every year when we lose a couple players. Every team loses a big name guy every year. That is the only way you will ever find out who has been waiting to blossom hiding underneath the glory of the previous jackrabbit starter. We should be excited about who is going to step up for us this year. People get 5 years and then they are not on the team anymore. This team is not thinking once about Minnett or Mcknight.. That is NOT their team.. Someone will fill the shoes of Domino, Minett, Cochart, Brodie... The question is just who wants it bad enough..
        My guess is that Zenner will be the backup. If Dom Claire is #2 that is fine. Doesn't matter to me. Would be great to have 3 backs that can contribute!

Comment

Lien is solid and will lead our LBers as well as DKool. OLine will be solid and I hear good things about the Zenner kid as a backup to TKool. Someone has to step up and replace Cochart ad TOB or whoever is playing QB can't force the ball so much. It would be nice to air it out a little more this year to loosen up the defense some.
          I hear Winterboer may be #2. He did some great things in the weight room during the off season.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
            I hear Winterboer may be #2. He did some great things in the weight room during the off season.
            That's all pretty interesting. Sounds like we have more of backup RB controversy than a QB controversy. Zenner, Clare, Winterboer, which will it be? Is Dan Schmidt going to see some time? He's one of the tallest WR's we have. You can't keep those Brookings boys out of the game, dammit!!!!!
            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              That's all pretty interesting. Sounds like we have more of backup RB controversy than a QB controversy. Zenner, Clare, Winterboer, which will it be? Is Dan Schmidt going to see some time? He's one of the tallest WR's we have. You can't keep those Brookings boys out of the game, dammit!!!!!
              Nice to have a good stable of backs as we all know they take a lot of pounding. I wonder if the coaches will rotate 2 backs thru out the course of the game like they did last yr? Time will tell.

Comment

My biggest concern is our kicking game.

Last year it was horrible until Peter Reifenrath came in and shored it up. We had blocked kicks, botched snaps and missed chip shots.

It will be interesting to see if Sr Kyle Harris can be more reliable or if the new job is given to RFR Syrovatka will be given the reigns.

I think we find out alot about this team after the first game vs Southern Utah. This team can't come out of the gate slow like they typically do because SUU is much needed win.

This team probably has the most questions marks to start the year than any I remember in the past 4-5 years with no real "All-Conference" type impact players returning.

The good news is that we will be the underdog, a role we are much more used to playing.

Can't wait for the season to get going.

Comment

Originally posted by jack2007 View Post

I asked about Dom Claire last year. Why didn't he get a single carry in the last game against North Dakota? Why did Duffy get every single carry? I thought Dom should have gotten to play that game. The fact that he didn't tells you he is not in the coaches favor for some reason. I have no idea as I know Dom and he is a great person. In my opinion, he should have carried the ball more in his career.

Don't get carried away with weight lifting records. Ask Coach Medows. He is not fielding a team of weightlifters, he is fielding a team of football players. Just because you can lift more weight doesn't make you the better player. ie: Kyle Minnett vs. Dom Claire. Kyle Minnett is a much better football player while Dom is a better weight lifter. Dom is waiting for his chance. I sure hope they give it to him.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                    My biggest concern is our kicking game.

Last year it was horrible until Peter Reifenrath came in and shored it up. We had blocked kicks, botched snaps and missed chip shots.

It will be interesting to see if Sr Kyle Harris can be more reliable or if the new job is given to RFR Syrovatka will be given the reigns.

I think we find out alot about this team after the first game vs Southern Utah. This team can't come out of the gate slow like they typically do because SUU is much needed win.

This team probably has the most questions marks to start the year than any I remember in the past 4-5 years with no real "All-Conference" type impact players returning.

The good news is that we will be the underdog, a role we are much more used to playing.

Can't wait for the season to get going.
                    Once again, Mitchell is right. The kicking game is a huge concern. I thought Priddy was close to NFL caliber as I've seen. The way Priddy handled the South Dakota wind was remarkable when you think about it. The Jacks usually won the battle of field position due to Priddy.

I think Harriss is capable. I think they had a few bad snaps and had to correct the snapper position. I know Harriss can kick off. There are three important spots in field goal kicking - kicker, holder, and snapper. I don't know if the kicker was as responsible as the other two for the problems. You are right about Peter, his kicks were ugly though. But they went thru the uprights.

I think Mike Lien is as close to an All Conferance impact player as the Rabbits have on the team.

Look at the offense players of the week from last year -

For the lineman McKnight was listed 7 times, Fick 1, Buchner 1, Witzman 1, and Parker 1.

Skill positions - Minnett 4, Kool 3, Duffy 2, Cochart 1, and TOB 1.

This shows that replacing Minnett and McKnight is crucial. Also Kool won as a wide out last year. Someone will have to replace his 3 Player of the week and wide out.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                      Once again, Mitchell is right. The kicking game is a huge concern. I thought Priddy was close to NFL caliber as I've seen. The way Priddy handled the South Dakota wind was remarkable when you think about it. The Jacks usually won the battle of field position due to Priddy.

I think Harriss is capable. I think they had a few bad snaps and had to correct the snapper position. I know Harriss can kick off. There are three important spots in field goal kicking - kicker, holder, and snapper. I don't know if the kicker was as responsible as the other two for the problems. You are right about Peter, his kicks were ugly though. But they went thru the uprights.

I think Mike Lien is as close to an All Conferance impact player as the Rabbits have on the team.

Look at the offense players of the week from last year -

For the lineman McKnight was listed 7 times, Fick 1, Buchner 1, Witzman 1, and Parker 1.

Skill positions - Minnett 4, Kool 3, Duffy 2, Cochart 1, and TOB 1.

This shows that replacing Minnett and McKnight is crucial. Also Kool won as a wide out last year. Someone will have to replace his 3 Player of the week and wide out.
                      My biggest concern is simple CAN WE STOP THE RUN?

Comment

We have to or we will get the snot beat out of us. The schedule shapes up to see if we can do just that to start the year at Illinois and Cal-Poly, both formidable ground attacks.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          We have to or we will get the snot beat out of us. The schedule shapes up to see if we can do just that to start the year at Illinois and Cal-Poly, both formidable ground attacks.
                          Does Cal Poly come to Brookings next year?

Comment

So your saying your not worried about QB play...

Comment

No. Cal Poly apparently signed in for 2@SDSU, 1 @Poly. Jacks host Stangs in '14 & '16.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                                So your saying your not worried about QB play...
                                Didn't say that- nothing more demoralizing to a team than when the other team shoves the ball down your throat. We are all concerned about the QB play- we did lose D. Starr and I don't know our depth chart at D-Line!

Comment

Working...
                                X