Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fall camp

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
    Why do all of you in the Jack's nation think that the media coverage and the chatter is so down this year?
    I think there are three reasons:

1. The Jack's are coming off a down year compared to 2009. There isn't quite the momentum as there was last year.

2. Terry V hasn't had the same amount of coverage as last year, although it's not quite as deserved as the year before (see above). Apparently he's working on a 'project' as well. I'd really like to know what it is...

3. The NFL is in lockout. The media coverage of the NFL hasn't been there with camps about to start and player movement throughout the summer. This usually gets people going in terms of the football season. Once the lockout ends and player movement starts along with fall camp, I bet there will be some more interest.

I haven't been online as much as I usually am due to being extremely busy this summer but I'm really looking forward to football season. Hopefully planning on making it back for the football game over Labor Day against Southern Utah.

Go Jacks!
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Frankly this new board is freaking me out!!!!!!!
      1. TV is on abig project and has been on furloughs and vacation.
      2. I do think Stig is pulling it into a more businesslike attitude. Look what happened when they didn't.....
      3. Last season was a disappointment to many of us. We don't start shooting off at the mouth like certain fans(looking at you lakes...) about how great our team will be after a poor season.
      4. Nothing to worry about on this team...I think they are solid, but will have to work and put some big W's up to be feared again this year.
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        Frankly this new board is freaking me out!!!!!!!
        1. TV is on abig project and has been on furloughs and vacation.
        2. I do think Stig is pulling it into a more businesslike attitude. Look what happened when they didn't.....
        3. Last season was a disappointment to many of us. We don't start shooting off at the mouth like certain fans(looking at you lakes...) about how great our team will be after a poor season.
        4. Nothing to worry about on this team...I think they are solid, but will have to work and put some big W's up to be feared again this year.
        Nothing to worry about? We lost the guy who rushed for the second most yards in school history off an offense that couldn't put the ball in the air with much success, which means we don't know what we are getting back on offense. Our QB threw 15 interceptions compared to 10 touchdowns and wilted under pressure. We got crushed up front on both the offensive and defensive lines against Illinois State and NDSU, but we did show flashes in other games, including Nebraska, whose run defense was incredibly overrated. We lost two stalwarts out of our secondary, one who was the best defensive back we've had since moving to D-I. Plus we lose Domino - I do understand that our linebackers will be very good, however we never had to move to a nickel package last year due to Domino's ability to drop into pass coverage so effectively. However, we gave up 800 more rushing yards in 2010 than we did in 2009, plus we played an extra game in 2009! Both NDSU and UNI are returning incredibly talented and tested teams and others in the conference are looking up, i.e., WIU, ISU (blue) and ISU (red). If you don't think there is anything to worry about, I will just have to disagree.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
          Nothing to worry about? We lost the guy who rushed for the second most yards in school history off an offense that couldn't put the ball in the air with much success, which means we don't know what we are getting back on offense. Our QB threw 15 interceptions compared to 10 touchdowns and wilted under pressure. We got crushed up front on both the offensive and defensive lines against Illinois State and NDSU, but we did show flashes in other games, including Nebraska, whose run defense was incredibly overrated. We lost two stalwarts out of our secondary, one who was the best defensive back we've had since moving to D-I. Plus we lose Domino - I do understand that our linebackers will be very good, however we never had to move to a nickel package last year due to Domino's ability to drop into pass coverage so effectively. However, we gave up 800 more rushing yards in 2010 than we did in 2009, plus we played an extra game in 2009! Both NDSU and UNI are returning incredibly talented and tested teams and others in the conference are looking up, i.e., WIU, ISU (blue) and ISU (red). If you don't think there is anything to worry about, I will just have to disagree.
          Way to go. This is what I'm missing. A serious discussion about the team giving well reasoned opinions.

What I am trying to say is where in the world is the newspaper opinions and columnists. I could care less what TV's so call "big" project is. Other papers do "big" projects yet still have columns on the team. Look to the team to the North. I will take the advice and let the Argus Leader know how I feel. I mention TV only because he is the face of the coverage. I've had tragedy in my family yet I was still expected to perform my job. I feel bad for him and pray for him, but I still expect some articles out of him. If the Argus is not letting him write other than his blog, why are they the newspaper of record? The record of the team last year should not affect the coverage of the team this year. And by the way, by Jack's standards the record last year wasn't great, but it still was a respectable record. Are the fans that spoiled in SD or just not used to DI football and all the related items that go with it? How much vacation do sportswriters get in South Dakota? I know he hasn't been on the job that long. Is it budget cuts by the paper?

In response to KULawJack - You are spot on with the affect Domino had. They very seldom went to nickel with him on the field. He was like a hybred linebacker/safety. The two other D-b's are tough losses, especially Brodie. Per Stig, giving up so many rushing yards to the oppents was a back breaker. This is the football savvy that I am missing. Thank you.

NDSU will be tough but they lost their best player on Defense. The D tackle who gave us fits in the Fargo Dome. Remember though the Dome home teams have a huge advantage on defense because of the noise. Look at the Viqueens.

Sure the schedule is tough but we do have NDSU, Southern Illinois, and Northern Iowa at home this year. Big advantage to SDSU.

Sure the Jacks graduated some great players, but that happens every year. Hopefully some young guys step up.

I think the W + L's will be decided by the QB. Great point about the INT's vs. the TD's. Let the TOB defenders explain that statistic. Especially since his summer was down with the mono. At least we got that tidbit.

Fall camp is creeping closer every day. Kudo's to KULawJack for providing some great analysis. Maybe the Argus would let him write as a guest columnist.

Comment

I agree. There is much to be concerned about and I trust the staff is looking at it from your angle. If there is good game preparation, we stand a good chance of winning. Our guys have to ready to play period. Good feeling uniforms do not do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              I agree. There is much to be concerned about and I trust the staff is looking at it from your angle. If there is good game preparation, we stand a good chance of winning. Our guys have to ready to play period. Good feeling uniforms do not do the job.
              My perception, as unqualified as I am to analyze things, is that we weren't ready for several of the games last year. With certain teams and personal you can get away with some lack of preparation. Last years team couldn't. The coaches need to do a better job of prepping our guys. That said, all the preparation in the world won't win a football game. There are a lot of questions about key positions and there are no answers to be found until we hit the field. SUU is going to be one heck of a challenge to open the season. We'll no a lot more at that time.

I'm choosing to be optimistic and excited as opposed to pensive and anxious but I'm not far from either of the latter.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Per TV's blog linked via Twitter.

It’s been really hard to confirm this since the players haven’t signed letters of intent and their former coaches have scattered, but it sounds like SDSU has landed at least two former Nebraska-Omaha football players. Jacks WR Aaron Rollin said that a tight end (likely juco LB David Hettiger) and a punter (likely Jason Schlautman) have been working out in Brookings. Several other incoming players including DB David Godley, WR Trevor Wesley and S Mark Pickerel are already on campus, too.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  Per TV's blog linked via Twitter.

It’s been really hard to confirm this since the players haven’t signed letters of intent and their former coaches have scattered, but it sounds like SDSU has landed at least two former Nebraska-Omaha football players. Jacks WR Aaron Rollin said that a tight end (likely juco LB David Hettiger) and a punter (likely Jason Schlautman) have been working out in Brookings. Several other incoming players including DB David Godley, WR Trevor Wesley and S Mark Pickerel are already on campus, too.
                  I saw that. Nice job TV. That is what I like to see. Now my question are they all walk ons with scholarship dependent upon fall camp performance?

Also great job on getting the chatter going posters. I know the boys are up and running and lifting every morning. I would bet they are ready this year. They better be, because Stig will be unmerciful in camp coming off last year.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                    I agree on some of your points, but not the Offensive line. Our line was stellar last season. They gave up 6 total sacks. The guy behind them was just throwing to the wrong team half the time, and most of those 6 sacks TOB was hanging onto the ball for an eternity.
                    Will Castle has some big shoes to fill. We did lose an All American Center. But I totally agree with you. Will is a younger guy who needs to step up.

Comment

who will be the tight end to replace Cochart this fall? Wonder if Sumner is #2 behind O Brian or if its JThomas?

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                        I agree on some of your points, but not the Offensive line. Our line was stellar last season. They gave up 6 total sacks. The guy behind them was just throwing to the wrong team half the time, and most of those 6 sacks TOB was hanging onto the ball for an eternity.
                        I don't think I said anything about the offensive line that wasn't true. They did a great job last year in most of the games. However, we got pummelled up front in the two games I mentioned. We had 125 or so yards rushing against Illinois State, but 46 of that came on one run. Other than that, we couldn't run the ball. We threw it 40-some times. We couldn't stop it either against ISU (red). At NDSU, I think we both know what that game looked like.

Also, TOB hardly ever hung onto the ball too long. He was making short reads and getting it out of his hands. I'd have liked to see him hold it longer and step up into the pocket.

Comment

[QUOTE=shot_5533;181013]

What I am trying to say is where in the world is the newspaper opinions and columnists. I could care less what TV's so call "big" project is. Other papers do "big" projects yet still have columns on the team. Look to the team to the North. I will take the advice and let the Argus Leader know how I feel. I mention TV only because he is the face of the coverage. I've had tragedy in my family yet I was still expected to perform my job. I feel bad for him and pray for him, but I still expect some articles out of him. If the Argus is not letting him write other than his blog, why are they the newspaper of record? The record of the team last year should not affect the coverage of the team this year. And by the way, by Jack's standards the record last year wasn't great, but it still was a respectable record. Are the fans that spoiled in SD or just not used to DI football and all the related items that go with it? How much vacation do sportswriters get in South Dakota? I know he hasn't been on the job that long. Is it budget cuts by the paper?

I think the W + L's will be decided by the QB. Great point about the INT's vs. the TD's. Let the TOB defenders explain that statistic. Especially since his summer was down with the mono. At least we got that tidbit.

I don't look at the team to the north and compare the 2 teams. Last year, SDSU made the playoffs and they had more coverage. This year the team to the north made them so maybe that has something to do with it. Terry has said several times that he gets "unpaid" leave in the summer. It's the slowest time of the year for sports so the sports writers are recommended to take off then. Even when Terry is on leave, he blogs and tweets. I don't do anything work related when I'm on vacation, I don't know how many people do. The Argus is trying to cut their budget so to send Terry on trips to cover the team, they have to cut somewhere. Giving him unpaid leave, makes the coverage better when things actually happen. I wouldn't want him to take vacation in November.

SDSU gets a lot more coverage that the school to the south. I know SDSU is more DI but they are covered by the same paper.

As far a play goes, I agree that it mainly relates to the play of the QB. SDSU might be weaker at some positions than they were last year but he won or lost the games for them. In the 5 wins, he had 5 TD's and no INT's. In the losses, he had 5 TD's and 15 INT's. He did go 2-2 in the UNI game and 0-2 in the Nebraska game thate were losses. I don't think those are bad numbers. I wish they were better but I'll let those slide. It was the other games that killed SDSU.

Comment

1. We get a more versatile back in Tyrel Kool, who maybe.....just maybe can outrun DE's. TK can also catch out of the backfield and is shiftier. Nothing against Kyle, but neither "burner" nor "hands" is his middle name.
                            2. The only thing to worth noting about TOB's INT's. He throws none....we win the games. That was the most glaring stat all last year. He fixes that or Sumner is in the wings and SDSU football rolls on.
                            3. Probably the biggest Oline we've ever had and now they have the experience we all ranted they lacked last year.
                            4. LB's are solid and now a lot more seasoned. (Note we also lost Jimmy the year before amd everybody wondered what we'd do, now we've lost Domino. One name: Mike Lien remember the number 45 and when you read this)
                            5. CB's I think might be a small problem. Great pressure from Jake & Bowers and the rest of the DL, will probably hide the sins.
                            6. THis is supposed to be part of some of the most talented recruiting classes ever at State. How can things not look up?
                            7. I never get worried, about things that are completely out of my control
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                              1. We get a more versatile back in Tyrel Kool, who maybe.....just maybe can outrun DE's. TK can also catch out of the backfield and is shiftier. Nothing against Kyle, but neither "burner" nor "hands" is his middle name.
                              2. The only thing to worth noting about TOB's INT's. He throws none....we win the games. That was the most glaring stat all last year. He fixes that or Sumner is in the wings and SDSU football rolls on.
                              3. Probably the biggest Oline we've ever had and now they have the experience we all ranted they lacked last year.
                              4. LB's are solid and now a lot more seasoned. (Note we also lost Jimmy the year before amd everybody wondered what we'd do, now we've lost Domino. One name: Mike Lien remember the number 45 and when you read this)
                              5. CB's I think might be a small problem. Great pressure from Jake & Bowers and the rest of the DL, will probably hide the sins.
                              6. THis is supposed to be part of some of the most talented recruiting classes ever at State. How can things not look up?
                              7. I never get worried, about things that are completely out of my control
                              I admire your enthusiasm and ability to look at the bright side.

Comment

Lien is solid and will lead our LBers as well as DKool. OLine will be solid and I hear good things about the Zenner kid as a backup to TKool. Someone has to step up and replace Cochart ad TOB or whoever is playing QB can't force the ball so much. It would be nice to air it out a little more this year to loosen up the defense some.

Comment

Working...
                                X