Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All-time team

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    If the question is who had the most talent, the question is unanswerable. That was the point of my post.
    agree

Comment

Jim Langer was remarkably strong. He'd lift the opposing DT's off their feet. Can you imagine what he'd have done if he lifted weights and trained like today's players?

Remember, back in the day, the equipment and rules were different. It was a different game. Players went both ways. The helmets were not as developed. The rules allowed for more on field violence.

Of course modern players could have played back then and vice a versa. They are all athletes and they'd adapt.

Jim Langer is in the pro football Hall of Fame for a reason. Anyone associated with South Dakota State can be proud of him.

Hopefully Adam V. joins him some day.

Comment

I understand the purpose of this All-time team is to recognize the 50th season at CAS. Joe Thorne played his last game and last season at Old State Field which would have been 1961. Just thought I would mention that Also Jim Langer is one of our all time greats. I dont recall hearing much about him when he was a student, but he did mention that he worked at Naim Bozied's gas station after the games in one of this talks that are on YouTube. That was a surprise. Jim talks about how this job humbled him a bit but it helped make it through SDSU.

Comment

Jimmy Rogers could beat the hell out of everyone on the list so far.

So, that being said....Jimmy Rogers.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post

And beating the hell out of someone makes u a top 50 player????? I'm not saying he's not deserving but c'mon- takes a lot more than that.. Theres a couple of Wr's on that list that he could have never caught and a couple of running backs that might have something to say about that.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
              And beating the hell out of someone makes u a top 50 player????? I'm not saying he's not deserving but c'mon- takes a lot more than that.. Theres a couple of Wr's on that list that he could have never caught and a couple of running backs that might have something to say about that.
              You missed the joke.

See this thread: http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=10158 (starting at post #30)

For the record, Jimmy makes my top 50.

Carry on.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

He is also the best at letting a INT go through his hands to give up a TD. that said I think I had him also. Danged if i could remember who i all picked.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

You missed the joke.

See this thread: http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=10158 (starting at post #30)

For the record, Jimmy makes my top 50.

Carry on.
                  For the record mine also!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    He is also the best at letting a INT go through his hands to give up a TD. that said I think I had him also. Danged if i could remember who i all picked.
                    That's below the belt! Even as a joke, I cringed thinking about that moment. Not near as bad as some other moments, namely one in particular that I do not discuss ever.

I can't remember who I all picked but I do recall picking Doug Miller, Ranek, Minett, Berry, Timmerman, Cole Brodie (Who I think may be the best player we've had at SDSU in the D-I era), Scott Connet, Jim Langer, Josh Davis, Tiefenthaler, Heiden, Danny Batten, Kevin Tetzlaff, Chris Coauette to name some of them.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      It's really awful, but every time I read his name I think of that play. What a stomach punch.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        It's really awful, but every time I read his name I think of that play. What a stomach punch.
                        Sadly thats the play that defines his career I think. I guess its still to soon to bring it back up. His total tackles he had and effort though are second to none and thats what I think people will remember over the years. Same with Batten, his motor was maxed every play.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          That's below the belt! Even as a joke, I cringed thinking about that moment. Not near as bad as some other moments, namely one in particular that I do not discuss ever.

I can't remember who I all picked but I do recall picking Doug Miller, Ranek, Minett, Berry, Timmerman, Cole Brodie (Who I think may be the best player we've had at SDSU in the D-I era), Scott Connet, Jim Langer, Josh Davis, Tiefenthaler, Heiden, Danny Batten, Kevin Tetzlaff, Chris Coauette to name some of them.
                          to soon eh, I think those are all on my list also. I think I had both Berrys, surprised anthony Watson not on the list for RB. Or if he was I over looked him.

Comment

Let me know if i am way off here, but was Adam V. actually the best kicker at SDSU? I always thought he was a better punter. Am I wrong to think that he was not the best at SDSU at either position but matured after college and the rest leads to the Hall Of Fame?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              I guess I'm getting to be an old timer like Jack4Life (while we were in school together, I swear Jack4Life is 10 years older than me )

"Polls" like this one are always slanted to more recent time. Where's Pete Retzlaff's name? Engelmann? Some of the stars from 60 years ago? No one's around to nominate them!

I assume the fan poll is all in good fun and no one is assembling a definitive list based on the poll.

Pete Retzlaff is not on this list? What?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                                Pete Retzlaff is not on this list? What?
                                I believe these are pre-CAS players. I heard mentioned that this was about the 50th season played at CAS and the first was in 1962. This All Time list is kind of tricky in that respect. I suspect the player had to played 1962 or later to qualify, which is misleading when they use the term "All Time team". Other than Jack#1 fan and Roy, there not many on here who witnessed a game at Old State Field.

Comment

Working...
                                X