All-time team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All-time team

i have been around jackrabbit football for over 30 years, so i know a good team/player when i see one. after looking at the all-time team that we have to vote from i saw a lot of players that i feel like got left out of the list. do others agree?
    i feel like the biggest player that was left out was Brock Gentile, who played defensive back a couple of years ago. he was one of the most athletic players i have ever seen and teams seemed to be scared to go his way...i could be wrong, but i feel bad for this young man.

Re: All-time team

If you are going to put Gentile on there you might as well put Casey Hillman on the list as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks4life View Post
      i have been around jackrabbit football for over 30 years, so i know a good team/player when i see one. after looking at the all-time team that we have to vote from i saw a lot of players that i feel like got left out of the list. do others agree?
      i feel like the biggest player that was left out was Brock Gentile, who played defensive back a couple of years ago. he was one of the most athletic players i have ever seen and teams seemed to be scared to go his way...i could be wrong, but i feel bad for this young man.
      I think you are always going to find someone who was left off.

Comment

i agree with casey as well. i just think in my opinion Gentile was one of the most complete Defensive backs that i have seen, and i think Gentile was also 2time all conference player. again, this is just my opinion, i could be wrong. maybe im being a lilttle bias because Gentile was my kids favorite player.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks4life View Post
          where is the all time team to pick from?

Comment

its on gojacks.com
            what does everyone think the players from each position should be?

Comment

I guess I'm getting to be an old timer like Jack4Life (while we were in school together, I swear Jack4Life is 10 years older than me )

"Polls" like this one are always slanted to more recent time. Where's Pete Retzlaff's name? Engelmann? Some of the stars from 60 years ago? No one's around to nominate them!

I assume the fan poll is all in good fun and no one is assembling a definitive list based on the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                I guess I'm getting to be an old timer like Jack4Life (while we were in school together, I swear Jack4Life is 10 years older than me )

"Polls" like this one are always slanted to more recent time. Where's Pete Retzlaff's name? Engelmann? Some of the stars from 60 years ago? No one's around to nominate them!

I assume the fan poll is all in good fun and no one is assembling a definitive list based on the poll.
                I agree. Take Cochart for example. He's probably deserving of the spot, but does he have the stats to back it up? Or players like Justin Kubesh or Tyler Koch? Are they up there because of their stats/play or is it just because they're recent players?
                Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 04-18-2011, 06:20 PM.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  I agree. Take Cochart for example. He's probably deserving of the spot, but does he have the stats to back it up? Or someone like Justin Kubesh? Is he up there or is it just because it's a recent name?
                  Completely stirring the pot with this...but excluding this poster, there are two names on that list ahead of Cochart that had pretty decent NFL careers and are statistically among the top of the TE list for receptions and yards. The un-statable blocking of those two is second to none as well...that being Steve Heiden and Dennis Thomas.

Overall, didn't know this list was out there. Glad it was brought up. Some interesting names on the list. Fun to look over and reminisce (sp) about players on there (and not) from my era.
                  I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                    Completely stirring the pot with this...but excluding this poster, there are two names on that list ahead of Cochart that had pretty decent NFL careers and are statistically among the top of the TE list for receptions and yards. The un-statable blocking of those two is second to none as well...that being Steve Heiden and Dennis Thomas.

Overall, didn't know this list was out there. Glad it was brought up. Some interesting names on the list. Fun to look over and reminisce (sp) about players on there (and not) from my era.
                    I apologize. That was not my intention.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

i agree..i think people are just looking at the stats and not the player overall. sry to bring up Gentile again, but he had good stats, but if i remember right he never had a ball go his way and he always guarded the other teams best wr. And he did have that huge interception to seal the conference title over nd state.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        I apologize. That was not my intention.
                        I meant me...not you. No apology needed.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Like basketball, football has changed over the years. If you did ask an old timer about today's Jack Squad, he would tell you that the players are more athletic AND/OR physical and better prepared to play the game. Can you imagine a Dykhouse facility during the hey-day of Ralph Ginn many NCC champs? You would be surprise how spring and fall camp were run back then, not much to them by todays standards. A few lifted weights probably as there was a weight room in the barn way in the back. Most of those guys probably worked construction and lifted hay bales all summer to condition. Most did not stay in Brookings over the summer unless they had a full time job.

This is just one of the major changes. Also I suspect lying playbooks from now with those 50 yeara ago would show a very thin book from long ago.

I think one of our best football players Joe Thorne was starting to form a very close relationship with Vince Lombardi about the time he went on Active Duty with the US Army and subsequently lost his life or gave his life to his country. Joe had attended a Green Bay try out camp and had good results, good enough for Coach Lombardi to give a personal telephone call to Joe Thorne inviting to come back after completing his military obligation.

Talk about a fullback carrying the ball. It was fun to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Like basketball, football has changed over the years. If you did ask an old timer about today's Jack Squad, he would tell you that the players are more athletic AND/OR physical and better prepared to play the game. Can you imagine a Dykhouse facility during the hey-day of Ralph Ginn many NCC champs? You would be surprise how spring and fall camp were run back then, not much to them by todays standards. A few lifted weights probably as there was a weight room in the barn way in the back. Most of those guys probably worked construction and lifted hay bales all summer to condition. Most did not stay in Brookings over the summer unless they had a full time job.

This is just one of the major changes. Also I suspect lying playbooks from now with those 50 yeara ago would show a very thin book from long ago.

I think one of our best football players Joe Thorne was starting to form a very close relationship with Vince Lombardi about the time he went on Active Duty with the US Army and subsequently lost his life or gave his life to his country. Joe had attended a Green Bay try out camp and had good results, good enough for Coach Lombardi to give a personal telephone call to Joe Thorne inviting to come back after completing his military obligation.

Talk about a fullback carrying the ball. It was fun to watch.
                            Many players from years ago could have played in todays game.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                              Many players from years ago could have played in todays game.
                              If the question is who had the most talent, the question is unanswerable. That was the point of my post.

Comment

Working...
                              X