Spring Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Game

Well...I was at the spring game. And given that this is my first post, I'll take the high road and talk about what I thought were some positives on Saturday. Defensively, the 1st team DLine played really well against the 1st team OLine. Bowers looks much more comfortable than a year ago...but he can shelve that sack dance as far as I'm concerned. That's not SDSU IMO. Bo Helm looks to be a star in the making. After Daryl Jackson was penalized for strutting in the end zone, I'm guessing that Wise wished he hadn't traded jerseys with him for the day. The LBs covered really well and were shorthanded with Shafrath and Jelsma both out. Feller played both SAM and WILL. Tracy played at MIKE and SAM. Lien might be the best player we have. The defense blitzed...a lot...and it will be interesting to see if that continues into the season. Sounds crazy, but offensively, I think we really missed Sheehan in the game. We have a lot of WRs and just need a couple to step up. Fish was a surprise for me. Daughters and Benedetto looked good but maybe more like Beyer than Cochart. My question on offense is...can the RB's give us 34+ carries a game like last year?

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
      I have to ask the obvious question....does BHSU have an incumbent QB returning in the fall and did he play in the spring game? If so, did he have 3 balls that were essentially returned for picks?

I know you are basically trying to say...hey it's a spring game, just chill out...but it's now 2 seasons down with 2 to go and no sign of improvement. I gonna still worry more about that, than 300 fans at a spring game in crappy weather....sorry, but that's just me.
      You could argue that BHSU doesn't have a QB at all. The point I'm making is unless you have years of eligibility and can do better you can't do anything about the QB situation. And for people to come on here and panic because the QB('s) didn't look good at a glorified practice isn't going to help things any. What fans can do is show up and support the team. That is what they can do, if Terry hadn't reported it how many people on here would actually say they knew anything about it?

There are things fans can do, and things they can't they can worry forever about the QB play or the O-line play or the WR play it, and NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.

It just bugs me because I hear everyone on here act like they were the QB coach for the Patriots last year. "he doesn't have good footwork" "doesn't look off db's" "doesn't run the ball" "isn't a leader" and on and on and on, I swear its the guys at ESPN evaluating Cam Newton.

Comment

- SDSU head football coach John Stiegelmeier joins the Sports Block with Nathan and Travis to talk about the spring football game.

http://www.archive.org/details/CoachStigApril18th2011
        Sports Lounge TV Show: http://www.youtube.com/user/tlk23?feature=mhee
        Sports Block Radio Show: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=subject%3A"Sports+Block"

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          You could argue that BHSU doesn't have a QB at all. The point I'm making is unless you have years of eligibility and can do better you can't do anything about the QB situation. And for people to come on here and panic because the QB('s) didn't look good at a glorified practice isn't going to help things any. What fans can do is show up and support the team. That is what they can do, if Terry hadn't reported it how many people on here would actually say they knew anything about it?

There are things fans can do, and things they can't they can worry forever about the QB play or the O-line play or the WR play it, and NOTHING WILL HAPPEN.

It just bugs me because I hear everyone on here act like they were the QB coach for the Patriots last year. "he doesn't have good footwork" "doesn't look off db's" "doesn't run the ball" "isn't a leader" and on and on and on, I swear its the guys at ESPN evaluating Cam Newton.
          This is a fan board. We discuss these things. Just because we are fans doesn't mean we have to swear allegiance and throw analysis out the window. Its your choice to not worry about the QB play, but don't tell me I shouldn't. Its quite clear from the body of work we have that we should worry about it.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            This is a fan board. We discuss these things. Just because we are fans doesn't mean we have to swear allegiance and throw analysis out the window. Its your choice to not worry about the QB play, but don't tell me I shouldn't. Its quite clear from the body of work we have that we should worry about it.
            ...best post on this thread.
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by The Sports Block View Post
              - SDSU head football coach John Stiegelmeier joins the Sports Block with Nathan and Travis to talk about the spring football game.

http://www.archive.org/details/CoachStigApril18th2011
              If you haven't listened to this...do so.

Great interview.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by JackItUp78 View Post
                Long time, first time here. My take on the spring game and a couple of other thoughts.

First-Oline looked great, who ever thought they sucked doesn't know what they are talking about. 1's gave up a couple of sacks but generally it what a coverage sack. They picked up twists and blitzes very well. Zone running is absolutely the last thing that will click for an offense. It takes much more time than even the timing routes receivers and qb's need. They had some great outside zones blocked mid season form, sealed the edge and hammered the alley player, where the running back slipped, tossed the ball in front of him. Castle fills in nicely for mcknight, wont notice a let up. The weak spot on the oline is right guard with buckner and olinger roatating, one of them will have to step up but overall the oline will be the best in the conference by mid season.

Which brings me to my next subject. Now is the time to make the move with Sumner. You give him a year where all he needs to do is not turn the ball over, make a couple 3rd down throws and all of a sudden we are in the mix with the top of the conference. At the end of the spring game you could see Sumner really get in to a rhythm. TOB, for however long I have seen him play, has never got in to a rhythm. Sumner throws a very, very catchable ball. Even when TOB completes a pass it is never smooth, I think that is do to him throwing a hard ball to catch. He has NO TOUCH. Kind of like a pitcher in baseball throwing a 95mph fastball but can't throw it over the plate, wont get you far in the big leagues.

P.S. First play sumner was in, was a zone read options and he pulled the hand off and kept it, gaining 15 yrds or whatever. You will never see TOB do that becuase it is hard to run the ball while holding a purse.

RB's doesn't really matter who runs. We could randomly select a poster on here and he could have a 1,000 yard behind this oline. Enough said. We will be able to run the ball on anyone. We have an NFL size line that is strong, athletic, and will have played together for 2 years.

Defense looked great, like they should in a spring game where they know the plays are coming and which route combinations go together. Some that stood out. Mink and Douglas will be very good, with Starr really looking impressive. Those three rotating will work great next year. DE's doesn't seem like we have a playmaker at the position. LB's Lien is a beast, straight thuggin people out there.... Look for him to have an all conference, all american year. Kilgore looked real good too. LB's are deep and talented, but will be very hard to replace Domino. He was a once in a generation type player the way he could cover an entire side of a field by himself. DB's honestly didn't watch them because the real football is played up front.

If the coaching staff were wise they will realize that not the upcoming year but the year after, the 2012 season is the year we will be able to make a deep, national championship type run in the post season. TOB will never get us there but with Sumner having a year under his belt and the offense playing together for 2 years, with the oline playing together 4 years. That is the year to focus on! Give Sumner his year of ups and downs next year because after that he will be on a tear lighting up the conference for the next 3 to come. Coaches will just need to supply him with the fastest kids around.
                We need a bowing emotion. Crushed it out of the park, great post.
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                  We need a bowing emotion. Crushed it out of the park, great post.
                  No, he swung and missed at the O line analysis.

Oly rotates with Parker at left guard. Not right guard.

Kage rotates with Buckner at right guard. Buckner started every game last season at right guard and was O line player of the game at Southern Illinois. Weak spot? Come on. Buckner played fine Saturday. I saw him put Mink on his back twice in one series. When Kage rotated in there were issues. Oly didn't play bad either at left guard.

I've stated earlier in the blog that the O line was changing like a Chinese fire drill. I'm sure Meadows is doing it to create competition. Why he didn't do it with the QB amazes me.

Comment

Shot is right, on who was rotating with whom. I could not for the life of me remember Kage's name. As far as weak spot, maybe it isn't weak but I was told that it is the only oline spot really still up for grabs where there will be a battle for it. With having 6 players with a good shot of playing I'm sure there will be a battle for all the interior positions. Again, I said this is going to be the best oline in the conference. I hope there isn't a weak spot by the time the season rolls around.

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post

Kage rotates with Buckner at right guard. Buckner started every game last season at right guard and was O line player of the game at Southern Illinois. Weak spot? Come on. Buckner played fine Saturday. I saw him put Mink on his back twice in one series. When Kage rotated in there were issues. Oly didn't play bad either at left guard.

I've stated earlier in the blog that the O line was changing like a Chinese fire drill. I'm sure Meadows is doing it to create competition. Why he didn't do it with the QB amazes me.

Comment

• Re: Spring Game

I still believe they didn't rotate more to keep T.O. interested in being here next fall. Why didn't they split equal reps? Will they split reps next fall? Quoting Coach Styg "Sumner did it vs the 2's," well hmm yes he did coach, did he get a chance vs 1's?

Think about this, if you felt good about who your number 1 guy is next year, wouldn't that allow you more time in the spring to split reps with the number 2 because you know the number 2 will never beat out the number 1? Just some questions to ponder.

Comment

Originally posted by JackItUp78 View Post
                        Shot is right, on who was rotating with whom. I could not for the life of me remember Kage's name. As far as weak spot, maybe it isn't weak but I was told that it is the only oline spot really still up for grabs where there will be a battle for it. With having 6 players with a good shot of playing I'm sure there will be a battle for all the interior positions. Again, I said this is going to be the best oline in the conference. I hope there isn't a weak spot by the time the season rolls around.
                        Good clarification. Please keep posting, I like to read what you write.

Buckner is the lone Sr. starter returning on offense unless you count Gant. Anyway it is spelled Buchner.

Kage is the 6th lineman. I'd guess you are right, there is competition for both guard spots. I don't think Parker has his spot sewn up yet. It is not how Meadows operates. Meadows will play the best 5, but last year and for the spring game he had that rotation going. I guess for competition.

If Castle goes down, who is the back up center? Oly or the freshman?

Also, there isn't a whole lot of real competition for the tackles.

That being said, did anyone else notice how good the walk on O tackle looked from Bloomington MN? I think we have a real find there. Adds to the depth.

Kinda nice when your starting O-line goes 310, 305, 315, 300, and 315. You'd think TOB would feel more secure.

Comment

Originally posted by ghomestead1 View Post
                          I still believe they didn't rotate more to keep T.O. interested in being here next fall. Why didn't they split equal reps? Will they split reps next fall? Quoting Coach Styg "Sumner did it vs the 2's," well hmm yes he did coach, did he get a chance vs 1's?

Think about this, if you felt good about who your number 1 guy is next year, wouldn't that allow you more time in the spring to split reps with the number 2 because you know the number 2 will never beat out the number 1? Just some questions to ponder.
                          Good questions.

Only the Jacks team knows for sure.

Perhaps they kept TOB at #1 because he knows the plays better. I'm not saying he executes them better, I'm saying he may know the plays better. Remember, Sumner is not #2, he was #3 during spring ball. So basically the board isn't calling for the backup QB, it is calling for the third string QB. Stig did say the QB battle is heating up. Give the backups a summer to work on their playbooks and with the recievers and we'll see. The competition to start is fall camp.

Comment

He always rotates the O-line like crazy though. He always wants his best linemen on the field and puts them in at different positions during the spring game usually to see how they do there and if they can be put in that spot should the need arise. Also does that in games sometimes, rotates in guys in a fashion like a d-line would just not as frequently to keep them fresh.
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

So what is the depth chart going to be looking like going into fall camp? any one moved up or down excluding injuries. are there any positions really up for grabs, or is the team mostly set? I have been to busy to even look. I would guess there shouldnt be to many big questions marks going to fall camp.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                So what is the depth chart going to be looking like going into fall camp? any one moved up or down excluding injuries. are there any positions really up for grabs, or is the team mostly set? I have been to busy to even look. I would guess there shouldnt be to many big questions marks going to fall camp.
                                when does the media guide come out with all that info?

Comment

Working...
                                X