Spring Ball Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Ball Update

TV reported today in his blog that Blocking TE Kyle Sheehan was granted an extra year by the NCAA. That is very good news for the Jacks since they were thin at that spot with just Sophomore Benedetto.

I have no doubt that SDSU will have one of the best blocking O-Line's in the conference, it's the other areas I'm not so certain of.

Comment

[QUOTE=mitchell;177638]Winston Wright - Athletic and aggressive but seemed unnatural last year and was caught out of position.

Winston had a pretty good game against Nebraska. I think he'll make the next step. You did a very nice job breaking done the DB's. Kudos.

I don't agree with TV. Nothing unusual there. I think Defensive tackle is more of a question than DB's. We have the pass rushers but where is the beef? Who is the big, unmovable nose tackle to stop the runners in this league? The problem with our D last year is we were a little lite and teams ran on us.

Any update as to DT's?

I know Dijon Starr can pass block, but he is an undertackle, not a run stopper. Who is the Jack's run stopper on the D line?

Comment

I meant Dijon can pass rush, not pass block. Dope!!!!

Sorry.

Comment

I really like what we bring back at DT. Alot of young talent that got their feet we last season and a JUCO that looks like an instant contributor.

My breakdown looks something like this:

Andy Mink- Had a very solid (and underrated) season last year. Filled in nicely once Basham went down. He was at 270 so it would be nice for him to add 5-10 lbs more but he has All-Conference potential IMO.

Chase Douglas - Also saw quality time last year and like most freshman he was up and down. Needs to gain some more size and consistency this year. Can be explosive.

Bryan Burke - JUCO out of Arizona. Played LB in high school, DE at JUCO, and will be DT for the Jacks. He's 6'4" 270 and should be a nice fit. Could take over Douglas's starting spot or be the 3rd guy to rotate in.

Dijonn Starr - Promising young player who was close to having his redshirt pulled last year. Haven't seen him play except for his high school film and he was very quick in those highlights. Surprised he didn't throw any shot put this past indoor track season as he is a very good thrower.

Josiah Fitzsimmons - Junior hasn't seen the field much yet. Might be his time to breakout. Has been a bit underweight for DT but if gains 15 lbs from last year he could be effective.

Simote Moala - I haven't heard much or seen much of Moala. At 315, he has the potential to be that run-stopping clog in the middle.

I think the starters will be Mink & Burke with Douglas and potentially Starr rotating in.
          Last edited by mitchell; 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Per Dominique Clare Twitter:

SB defense notes: Kilgore is EVERYWHERE, alot of competition at corner, helm and luxa stepping up at safety, LB will be real deep & talented

SB offense notes: T.O. lookin strong, Dale Moss is catching on quick, J. Schneider is legit, T Kool is running hard, OLine is big and deep!

Comment

Originally posted by BudLight Jackrabbit View Post
              Per Dominique Clare Twitter:

SB defense notes: Kilgore is EVERYWHERE, alot of competition at corner, helm and luxa stepping up at safety, LB will be real deep & talented

SB offense notes: T.O. lookin strong, Dale Moss is catching on quick, J. Schneider is legit, T Kool is running hard, OLine is big and deep!
              This is what we want to read here. Thanks for the report.

Comment

Does anybody know, have they actually done a live scrimmage yet? A lot of players look good in drills and all.

Comment

Although i have not seen i have heard that WR Dan Schmidt is looking very sharp and will contribute to what looks to be a very good receiving core.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrab View Post
                    Although i have not seen i have heard that WR Dan Schmidt is looking very sharp and will contribute to what looks to be a very good receiving core.
                    any idea on where he sits on the depth chart?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                      any idea on where he sits on the depth chart?
                      There won't be an official depth chart until halfway thru fall practice.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                        There won't be an official depth chart until halfway thru fall practice.
                        My thinking was is that there is an initial depth chart at the beginning of spring ball- one in the middle and one at the end. Don't know for sure

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
                          My thinking was is that there is an initial depth chart at the beginning of spring ball- one in the middle and one at the end. Don't know for sure
                          You are correct sir!

The ones know who they are at this point in time.

I don't think they publish one for public viewing, but they probably have it hanging up somewhere in the locker room. I think the chart only changes in spring ball due to injuries. Even the starters at the spring game don't mean a whole lot. The goal of spring is to stay injury free; or prove to the coaches that you can play with dings.

Fall camp finally sets the lineup.

The official printed one comes out in fall practice.

Comment

Spring game will be here Saturday!!!!

What is the weather forcast for Saturday?

What is the guess for attendance?

Man, the board sure has been quiet with the spring game coming up. What is going on?

I sure miss Hartley's updates... I think we are slacking/lacking....

Comment

Working...
                            X