• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89rabbit
    replied
    Re: SDSU vs. Illinois

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Illinois tickets arrived. Sec 109 row 18 seats 1-6 (or close to that). I hope they are more towards the center of the field and not the very end.

We will arrive in Champaign Friday afternoon at 3 pm. Staying at the Hawthorne Suites. Anyone have plans for Friday night? I have family in Champaign and they will have a tailgate site for Saturday morning. If you are interested in stopping by PM me and I'll get you the info when I have it. Sounds like it is in a grassy area where we will have some tailgating games and plenty of beverages. Not sure when we can start but I'll be ready at sunrise.

I know the alumni association is hosting a tailgate at the UI Assembly complex starting at 8:30. Not sure exactly where that will be, perhaps 89 can tell us.

We'll most likely hit some of the bars on and around campus Friday and Saturday night unless other Jackrabbit fans have something else planned. Let me know, looking forward to it.

Here is a link to the Alumni event:

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...=13&calcid=685

Go State!

P.S. Because someone will ask, this is not a fundraising event, everything in Illinois cost more.

Leave a comment:

• KUlawJack
    replied

Illinois tickets arrived. Sec 109 row 18 seats 1-6 (or close to that). I hope they are more towards the center of the field and not the very end.

We will arrive in Champaign Friday afternoon at 3 pm. Staying at the Hawthorne Suites. Anyone have plans for Friday night? I have family in Champaign and they will have a tailgate site for Saturday morning. If you are interested in stopping by PM me and I'll get you the info when I have it. Sounds like it is in a grassy area where we will have some tailgating games and plenty of beverages. Not sure when we can start but I'll be ready at sunrise.

I know the alumni association is hosting a tailgate at the UI Assembly complex starting at 8:30. Not sure exactly where that will be, perhaps 89 can tell us.

We'll most likely hit some of the bars on and around campus Friday and Saturday night unless other Jackrabbit fans have something else planned. Let me know, looking forward to it.
    Tried to send a second PM but your inbox is full - might want to delete a couple so I can resend.

Leave a comment:

• KUlawJack
    replied

PM Sent.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ringthebells
    replied

I just got back from a wedding in Champaign-Urbana. If you are going to the game try to avoid staying at the Super 8. What a dump! If you just want a place to party and pass out, it will work just fine. If you want a place to gather and hang out some, look around.

Leave a comment:

• KUlawJack
    replied

4 tickets purchased. Hotel room at Hawthorne for Friday and Saturday. Plane tickets booked. I'm ready to go. I'm excited for this game.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Ordered my 6 tickets in the SDSU section this morning. Going to be a darn good time.

Leave a comment:

• JimmyJack
    replied

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    Game to be televised on Big 10 Network:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1770279.story
    Good news... except that on the Big 10 Network, you have to listen to Big Ten Network commentators.

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by Redbird Ray View Post
    11AM kickoff vs FCS team (even a fine one like your bunnies) = 50K in att. If you don't already have tickets in your reserved sections, there should be plenty of cheapies available on Stub Hub.

Beat the hell out of princess Illini ok? Amazingly smug and arrogant fanbase for an at best, mediocre football program. Have fun!
    50K would be great. It might be closer to 35K. If I'm an Illini fan I attend all the home games. However, most are more casual fans than I. So, how many of them attend the SDSU game with Arizona State coming in the next week? We will see.

2011 Illinois Football Schedule
    Sept. 3 - Arkansas State
    Sept. 10 - South Dakota State
    Sept. 17 - Arizona State
    Sept. 24 - Western Michigan
    Oct. 1 - Northwestern
    Oct. 8 - at Indiana
    Oct. 15 - Ohio State
    Oct. 22 - at Purdue
    Oct. 29 - at Penn State
    Nov. 5 - OPEN
    Nov. 12 - Michigan
    Nov. 19 - Wisconsin
    Nov. 26 - at Minnesota

Leave a comment:

• Redbird Ray
    replied

11AM kickoff vs FCS team (even a fine one like your bunnies) = 50K in att. If you don't already have tickets in your reserved sections, there should be plenty of cheapies available on Stub Hub.

Beat the hell out of princess Illini ok? Amazingly smug and arrogant fanbase for an at best, mediocre football program. Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• jackmd
    replied

Originally posted by MinnJack View Post
    And the game starts at 11 AM, so breakfast tailgating is in order.
    Breakfast tailgating followed by partying into the night after a Jackrabbit victory!

Leave a comment:

• MinnJack
    replied

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post

And the game starts at 11 AM, so breakfast tailgating is in order.

Leave a comment:

• jacks1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JackJD
    replied

Thanks, Redbird Ray. Good info! We're making our plans.

Leave a comment:

• Redbird Ray
    replied

http://www.athletics.illinois.edu/fa...Guide_2010.pdf

Hey bunnies. Sounds like plenty of you will be making the trip to Chambana. For those of you on the fence, I would encourage you to make the trip. Champaign is a great college town with tons of nightlife and a one of the best tailgating set-ups in the country (The Central Illinois townies are pretty hardcore about their tailgating, even if the team usually sucks). Student support is somewhat fair-weather, but with close to 43,000 students, even for SDSU, there should be about 6-7K in attendance.

I'm sure many of you have already seen the link above about parking/ticket info etc. For a traditionally crappy football program, Illinois has a ton of tailgaters. This means game-day purchases for parking can be a bit of challenge, as these lots are all reeaallly far from the stadium, and the tailgating atmosphere usually isn't quite as good as closer to the stadium. I would recommend checking out some of the Illini fansites (Hail to the Orange, Illini Loyalty, or Illini HQ) or Stub Hub for parking permits that will get you closer to the action along First Street or Florida Ave.

There is one visitors section in the lower level of Memorial Stadium (109), but these tickets may have already been sold out to your donors (if so, well done, if not, this is a pretty decent section). The Upper Deck visitors sections are ok, a little better than the Horseshoe IMO, but I understand getting whatever is most affordable.

Chambana has a decent amount of hotels, though the ones right near the stadium will be more expensive and are usually sold out already this time of year. Hawthorne, Hilton Garden Inn, and I are all solid, but likely booked right now. Hotels on the north side of town near the Marketplace Mall may still have openings but these hotels are on the northern edge of town away from much of the action near campus and downtown. For a last resort, Bloomington/Normal is only 35 minutes west of Chambana and also has plenty of hotels that typically do not sell out for Illini gamedays (though ISU's game that night against Morehead State will likely bring in 50 or 60K visitors from around the state.........sigh......)

As for nightlife, Green Street, near campus, will be rocking before, during, and after the game. Illini students are a nerdy bunch, but they do a decent amount of drinking. Murphy's, Brothers, Joe's, Kam's, Firehouse, and of course, the Illini Inn (join the Mug Club, just do it) are my favorites near campus. Downtown Champaign, located a couple blocks north of campustown, has a decent array of bars that aren't totally polluted by the college crowd. Mike N Molly's, Memphis on Main, Highdive (clubish), Guido's, Bentley's, Cowboy Monkey (great for live music), Esquire Lounge, Jupiters Downtown, and Tumble Inn are all pretty solid places to get your downtown drink on. Downtown Urbana has a couple of bars that are decent, Rose Bowl Tavern is a cool Country-Music kind of place, the Iron Post is fun also. FYI, Illinois Coach Ron Zook almost always goes out for a drink with his coaching staff at Jupiter's at the Crossing (different from downtown) or Billy Barooz on the SW side of town. These bars are in the wealthier section of town, near the big donors, away from the chaos of campustown and downtown.

Hope those making the trip enjoy Chambana and Illinois in general. It's not Nebraska or Ohio State, but I think you'll be surprised by how geeked up Chambana gets for Illini football. It's mostly about the drinking, because the football is usually lousy come Big Ten season. Hope this was somewhat helpful. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X