Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Game Set for 2012

Originally posted by jackrab View Post
    This game regardless of what others are saying is going to be as hyped if not more hyped than the NDSU game of 2007. CAS will be packed to the brim and everyone will remember who our original rival was. In coming years I think both the NDSU game and the USD game will be taken with the same mentality of they're our rival and no matter what our record is we will win those games.
    It should be hyped and the history behind our NCC days suggests it will be a well attended game. Keep in mind, it was not that "hyped" our last 15 years in the NCC. If you look at attendance numbers none of our games in the last 15-20 years before the transition were "hyped" or well attended. Of the top 10 games 5 are from the DI era. 3 include USD but none since 1985. Augie is the opponent in the other 2 including 1988.

So, this idea that the USD game was "the game of the year" at CAS isn't entirely accurate. The Augie game had a similar allure. The UND and NDSU games often didn't because we usually were a pretty big underdog.

So, it is an important renewal of one of our previous rivalries but should not be expected to greatly exceed the hype associated with the NDSU game with the exception that it is the renewal of the rivalry.

Keep in mind, since 1990 SDSU is 14-3 against USD. Thats 14 wins in 17 games the last 14 years of the rivalry. We did play them twice a year when they were really quite bad in the early nineties and went 6-0 , that helped put an end to the twice a year games. Also happens to be when I was at SDSU. The biggest games of the year at that time were Augie because we always beat USD.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrab View Post
      This game regardless of what others are saying is going to be as hyped if not more hyped than the NDSU game of 2007. CAS will be packed to the brim and everyone will remember who our original rival was. In coming years I think both the NDSU game and the USD game will be taken with the same mentality of they're our rival and no matter what our record is we will win those games.
      If both teams have 7 to 9 wins at that point, it will be the biggest sporting event ever in South Dakota.

If both teams have 6 wins at that point, it will be one of the biggest games ever, might even set the attendance record.

If both teams have 5 or less wins, no way the atmosphere exceeds NDSU of 2007. In 07 NDSU was undefeated and SDSU had won 6 of their previous 7 games.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I wish they would have scheduled this game the weekend of the pheasant opener!

Comment

This is good get the talk crap over and play ball. Myself I still see NDSU as the team I want to stomp year in and year out.
          MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
          http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
          http://gojacks.com

Comment

Me, I want to beat whoever's next on the schedule . . .

Maybe it's 'cause I'm living in Missouri, but the whole bragging rights thing has kinda faded in importance for me, personally . . .

Except IPFW. I still hate those guys.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              Me, I want to beat whoever's next on the schedule . . .

Maybe it's 'cause I'm living in Missouri, but the whole bragging rights thing has kinda faded in importance for me, personally . . .

Except IPFW. I still hate those guys.
              It isn't just the folks who have moved away that have experienced the fading of bragging rights.

In my case, it has more to do with looking at the big picture. I am more interested in seeing the Jacks make the playoffs every year. Then the rivalry comes second.

This football team has bigger fish to fry than the Coyotes (until they become a viable challenge in the conference) each year. I just hope that our games against the u are tune-ups to the playoffs each year.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I kind of agree with the whole bigger fish to fry deal but I thought I'd throw in a different perspective. There is a big sign either on the door or right next to the door of Montana's locker room (it was 2005 when I saw it so I forget exactly). Anyway the sign says

Goals for the year
                1. Beat Montana State
                2. Big Sky Champion
                3. National Champion
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
                  Wasn't there a rivalry trophy for the State-u game. Something called the "Little Brown Jug" or something like that, and for some reason when we owned the u throughout the 90's it went by the wayside. Call me crazy, but some reason I remember Stig talking about it.

Little Brown Jug is what Michigan and the Gophers play for each year.

Comment

[QUOTE= But I don't feel that my intense desire to see the Jacks win every game against USD and the hatred felt for anyone or anything USD makes them a rival.
                    [/QUOTE]

What you are saying is exact reason the game IS a rivalry. If the schools have not played for nearly a decade and you still feel that way towards wanting SDSU to beat USD what does that tell you about the rivalry other than it is indeed a rivalry. Rivalries are nice when they are 100% respectfull but alot of the reasons they built is because of some animosity.
                    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                      What you are saying is exact reason the game IS a rivalry. If the schools have not played for nearly a decade and you still feel that way towards wanting SDSU to beat USD what does that tell you about the rivalry other than it is indeed a rivalry. Rivalries are nice when they are 100% respectfull but alot of the reasons they built is because of some animosity.
                      I agree. If the SDSU/USD rivalry will be one of civility and mutual respect then I am all for it. If it goes back to the asinine actions of the NCC days, then I could do without it. I would rather have a game be about the on-field performance rather than the actions that surround the game.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                        I believe the quoted post from CatchEmAll was from 2004. Maybe he still feels that way, maybe he doesn't.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Look into the UNC/Duke basketball rivalry and Maryland's fascination with becoming Duke's rival. A chant of "Not our rival" is in order for the USD game.

Comment

Working...
                          X