Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: End of the Year - Coach Stig

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    After watching the jacks all year and a lot of football this weekend from my perspective our biggest problem is that we have a quarterback that is either unable or unwilling to run the football when the opportunity presents itself. I know we run the wildcat with great sucess to compensate for a lack of a running quarterback, but I would love to see a multi-threat quarterback behind center for the Jacks. I can never ever remember TOB taking off and running the ball when the pocket broke down. Many of those interceptions in the redzone may been avoided. Is he being instructed to not run the ball or does he lack the courage?
    Sumner is the same way, they are pocket passers, just what they are. If I'm the coaching staff I go and take the QB's (all of them) to baseball practice and teach them to slide, then tell them that if they can get 5 yards and slide do that. I don't want TOB, Sumner, Jordan Thomas or whoever the QB is at the time running if they are not a running QB, thats code for a lot of fumbles and injuries. But if they can learn to slide it would be something that they could do from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      After watching the jacks all year and a lot of football this weekend from my perspective our biggest problem is that we have a quarterback that is either unable or unwilling to run the football when the opportunity presents itself. I know we run the wildcat with great sucess to compensate for a lack of a running quarterback, but I would love to see a multi-threat quarterback behind center for the Jacks. I can never ever remember TOB taking off and running the ball when the pocket broke down. Many of those interceptions in the redzone may been avoided. Is he being instructed to not run the ball or does he lack the courage?
      Unfortunately we don't recruit those type of quarterbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
        Unfortunately we don't recruit those type of quarterbacks.
        I may argue with that statement. Not sure throwing that blanket statement out there is fair. From my standpoint SDSU has had a pretty good record of having very productive quarterbacks under Stig. No, we haven't had an option style QB or a hybrid like Martinez at Nebraska. We have generally had quarterbacks that threw for good numbers and have had solid TD/INT ratios. Some of those QB's would run it with regularity. Kardoes and Berry would both run it. Heck, I used to wish Kardoes would run less.

TOB doesn't seem to like the run and obviously his numbers weren't what he, the coaches, or the fans wanted. The QB position needs to improve substantially over this year. Everyone agrees with that. If the number of interceptions thrown were even slightly lower (20%)we probably would have won another game or two. In my mind, him running wouldn't have changed things much. We've got other guys that were able to do the running.

Next year, the running back picture is different which will put more pressure on the QB to produce.

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

We don't need to recruit a running QB to be able to have a QB who can pull it down and run for 5-10 yards when the opportunity presents itself. Even with the QB's we have, we're talking about highly skilled and gifted athletes who are in their early 20's. They may not run a 4.4 40, but I'm sure they can manage to run 10 yards in a fairly decent clip.

I would say the reason for the lack of running by TOB in our system is due more to the fact that he was primarily throwing 3 step drop passes. Quick hitters. We rarely had him takea 5 step drop, survey the defense and make a strong throw. It seemed more like "take a 3 step drop and throw the slant and hope the corner isn't jumping the route" was our pass offense. When we did have him take 5 step drops, it was to set up the swing pass to the RB coming out of the backfield. The question is - was our passing attack a reflection on the coaches' lack of trust in TOB or something else? All I know is it was the rare occurrence when TOB tried to let a pass play mature before just chucking it to the first read.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Anyone who has seen Sumner play knows he can run just fine. It is not his first choice, but he is very mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
              Anyone who has seen Sumner play knows he can run just fine. It is not his first choice, but he is very mobile.
              I'm pretty sure TOB can run too. The question is do you want them getting hit big for a 2 yard gain? If you are going to have a QB that is there because of his arm run, you better teach him to slide other wise he is going to be fumbling and missing games do to injury.

Comment

I agree with MJA, we don't need to recruit running QB's. If memory serves me right, a few years ago we were having a similar discussion about our QB's only it was in regards to having more of a pocket passer. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and everytime I think about posting one of my after a frustrating game, I triple check my credentials. Stig and the staff know far more about the game of football than I ever will. So all I can do is continue to support the Jacks and get to the games. By the way MJA, nice to see you at the UND game.

Comment

Originally posted by m11jacks View Post
                  I agree with MJA, we don't need to recruit running QB's. If memory serves me right, a few years ago we were having a similar discussion about our QB's only it was in regards to having more of a pocket passer. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and everytime I think about posting one of my after a frustrating game, I triple check my credentials. Stig and the staff know far more about the game of football than I ever will. So all I can do is continue to support the Jacks and get to the games. By the way MJA, nice to see you at the UND game.
                  Great post! Look forward to seeing more!
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                    Sumner is the same way, they are pocket passers, just what they are. If I'm the coaching staff I go and take the QB's (all of them) to baseball practice and teach them to slide, then tell them that if they can get 5 yards and slide do that. I don't want TOB, Sumner, Jordan Thomas or whoever the QB is at the time running if they are not a running QB, thats code for a lot of fumbles and injuries. But if they can learn to slide it would be something that they could do from time to time.
                    When Sumner's time comes I think fans will be pleasantly surprised by his mobility. He's not a "running quarterback" by any means but I think fans will be impressed with his ability to move in and out of the pocket. That combined with his size and arm strength will be fun to watch when the time comes.
                    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
                    X