Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If anyone says the game should be.......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If anyone says the game should be.......

If Sioux Falls offered a distinct advantage to hosting this game then it might be a viable option. But Howard Wood is a terrible place to watch football and may seat less. If we are so worried about drumming up money from other cities maybe Rapid City deserves a chance. (kidding)

SDSU has worked hard to get a gameday identity and we shouldnt waste that work when it comes to the SDSU-USD game. Maybe if SF builds a 25000 seat stadium before the Jacks do the game can be thought about being moved. But not until then.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

This business of playing in SF came from the consultant, Karr, who felt SDSU needed to better our attraction in SF.

We tried this Howard Wood location with UC-Davis a few years back and it did not pan out. Many including myself would have attended the game in Brookings. I had just moved to Arlington at the time, and a 22 mile trip turned into a 75 mile trip one way. I am still a fan but extra miles are not my cup of tea

The raving SF fans were busy doing something else that day and never showed up and it was the same fans who ordinarily came to Brookings to watch showed.

Also there was the BB team from Manhattan NY that played the Jacks to an empty house at the SF Arena and that too was a big flop which caused money because we had to pay rent to the SF Sports Authority. That event worked for the SF Sports Authority but not for SDSU. Lets face it, not everyone in SF knows or cares about SDSU. Playing in SF is a bad idea. After all we are not the Huskers.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        If one or both of the AD's don't look into playing in Sioux Falls, they are doing the school, the fans, the students, and the student athletes a disservice.
        You would be doing the students a disservice by having the game in Sioux Falls. The students want the game on campus.

And yes, I am speaking for all students.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

While I don't agree with playing this game in SF. HWF being one of the most compelling reasons....SF Rabbit Fan is absolutely correct that corning the SF market for SDSU before USD does is very important.
          I definitely could see USD turning one of their biggest disadvantages(Vermillion) and the lack of seating in the Dump into an advantage: What does USD really have to lose by playing their half in SF? I could definitely see USD doing it. SDSU recieves a lot of large donations from the industries that Brookings that Vermillion does not have, so IMO, USD/Vermillion would not be as hurt by playing this game in SF as SDSU/Brookings would be.

I grew up in small-town SD too, so don't hate me for saying this. But there is definitely a "screw SF, they get everything" attitude when it comes to SOME small-town South Dakotans.
          SDSU cannot afford this same attitude when it comes to their Athletic Dept and I'm fairly certain that the current ADept knows this and will hopefully do the right things to stay THE major player in SF.

Go Jacks!!
          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

I grew up in small-town SD too, so don't hate me for saying this. But there is definitely a "screw SF, they get everything" attitude when it comes to SOME small-town South Dakotans.
            I definitely believe that. I never really saw it in my hometown (maybe I was just too young to notice?), but it wouldn't surprise me that some people feel that way.

I'd still prefer that the games were only played on campus. It just doesn't feel right playing SDSU-USD games in Sioux Falls.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Some people on here are going "oh, no but if USD decides to play us there they can take the SF market!" We would still be playing them there as well correct? I mean that game being played there gives both teams a fairly equal chance at the market, since both teams will be playing there and get the exposure. So let them use their home game to give us some exposure down there instead.
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                While I don't agree with playing this game in SF. HWF being one of the most compelling reasons....SF Rabbit Fan is absolutely correct that corning the SF market for SDSU before USD does is very important.
                I definitely could see USD turning one of their biggest disadvantages(Vermillion) and the lack of seating in the Dump into an advantage: What does USD really have to lose by playing their half in SF? I could definitely see USD doing it. SDSU recieves a lot of large donations from the industries that Brookings that Vermillion does not have, so IMO, USD/Vermillion would not be as hurt by playing this game in SF as SDSU/Brookings would be.

SDSU cannot afford this same attitude when it comes to their Athletic Dept and I'm fairly certain that the current ADept knows this and will hopefully do the right things to stay THE major player in SF.

Go Jacks!!
                The first home game USD plays against SDSU will be in the "dump" as you lovingly called it. The Dome has improved and will dramatically improve again if the AD can make his vision a reality.

USD will use the limited seating to foster more demand for season tickets and Howling Pack memberships. Will be a tough ticket to get.

Yes, the race is on in SF to gain interest from that population base. SDSU is way ahead in that department - just go to Scheels and look at the sporting goods section in Sioux Falls. It looks like an SDSU Festival - and that speaks directly to demand from buyers. USD's gear is tucked away in a corner by USF - that is a problem, and if interest does not pick up we will be in financial trouble.

I hope that both SDSU and USD can work jointly to brand the MVFC and the Summit league into the public's awareness. I was surprised when I was talking to a few SDSU grads in SF yesterday and they asked me - "now who all is in that conference with SDSU and USD?" Both our schools have a lot of work to do in getting attention. IMO, our biggest competition is UNL and U of I.

Comment

Originally posted by usdfbalum View Post
                  The first home game USD plays against SDSU will be in the "dump" as you lovingly called it. The Dome has improved and will dramatically improve again if the AD can make his vision a reality.

USD will use the limited seating to foster more demand for season tickets and Howling Pack memberships. Will be a tough ticket to get.

Yes, the race is on in SF to gain interest from that population base. SDSU is way ahead in that department - just go to Scheels and look at the sporting goods section in Sioux Falls. It looks like an SDSU Festival - and that speaks directly to demand from buyers. USD's gear is tucked away in a corner by USF - that is a problem, and if interest does not pick up we will be in financial trouble.

I hope that both SDSU and USD can work jointly to brand the MVFC and the Summit league into the public's awareness. I was surprised when I was talking to a few SDSU grads in SF yesterday and they asked me - "now who all is in that conference with SDSU and USD?" Both our schools have a lot of work to do in getting attention. IMO, our biggest competition is UNL and U of I.

It was definitely with love!

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by usdfbalum View Post
                    It has a special place in my heart, right up there with the......Ok I won't go to smackville, come post on http://www.fcsfans.com and I'll give you my full well thought out 12 pt synopsis of that wonderland called teh DakotaDump.
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      This business of playing in SF came from the consultant, Karr, who felt SDSU needed to better our attraction in SF.

We tried this Howard Wood location with UC-Davis a few years back and it did not pan out. Many including myself would have attended the game in Brookings. I had just moved to Arlington at the time, and a 22 mile trip turned into a 75 mile trip one way. I am still a fan but extra miles are not my cup of tea

The raving SF fans were busy doing something else that day and never showed up and it was the same fans who ordinarily came to Brookings to watch showed.

Also there was the BB team from Manhattan NY that played the Jacks to an empty house at the SF Arena and that too was a big flop which caused money because we had to pay rent to the SF Sports Authority. That event worked for the SF Sports Authority but not for SDSU. Lets face it, not everyone in SF knows or cares about SDSU. Playing in SF is a bad idea. After all we are not the Huskers.
                      If the consultant thought it was a good idea then, what makes it a bad idea now? The legends of failure in Sioux Falls have been dramatically overstated, IMO.

I used to think the Sioux Falls Davis game was a flop, until I actually looked up the attendance figures for that year. There were 7239 people at that game. The average attendance that season for our home games was 6972 (even less if you take out Hobo Day and Beef Bowl). The next season, SDSU averaged 9652. All that growth can't be attributed to the Sioux Falls game, but I bet it helped (the next season was my first as a season ticket holder).

As for Manhattan, that game drew 2083 fans. The average attendance in Brookings that year was 2070. I brought multiple people to the Manhattan game who hadn't been to a game since the State/U days, and they all walked away amazed at the new level of competition (If I recall correctly, Andre Gilbert had multiple dunks that game). I think they have all watched at least 1 Jackrabbit basketball game with me since then, many have seen several.

Granted, neither of those games made money for SDSU, but they did expose new people to SDSU athletics and the level of competition. The SDSU/USD game at HWF would almost certainly make money and increase exposure.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Speaking as a Sioux Falls resident, I would prefer travel to Brookings or Vermillion for a game to attending at HW Field. The place is set up for track and field and is a poor venue at best for FB. Any seat high enough to see the field is too far away from the field. Coughlin and the Dome have their negatives but both are better than HW for FB.

As to attracting new season ticket holders, I think you're assumptions are overstated. IMO SDSU can attract more season ticket holders by putting a good product and postive game day experience on in Brookings than they will spending money on a game in SF. A big part of that is the color and energy from a game with thousands of students attending, on campus.
                        Last edited by Prairiehaas; 11-05-2010, 11:45 AM. Reason: sp
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                          Speaking as a Sioux Falls resident, I would prefer travel to Brookings or Vermillion for a game to attending at HW Field. The place is set up for track and field and is a poor venue at best for FB. Any seat high enough to see the field is too far away from the field. Coughlin and the Dome have their negatives but both are better than HW for FB.

As to attracting new season ticket holders, I think you're assumptions are overstated. IMO SDSU can attract more season ticket holders by putting a good product and postive game day experience on in Brookings than they will spending money on a game in SF. A big part of that is the color and energy from a game with thousands of students attending, on campus.
                          I, too, prefer to travel to Brookings (as I have for several years) or Vermillion (if I can get a ticket) for games. I just think a SF game would be a good idea and should at least be studied.

As for season ticket holders, the HWF atmosphere isn't what would drive season tickets. The limited capacity and renewed rivalry will create a huge demand. By holding the game in a smaller stadium, the only way to guarantee a seat will be to buy season tickets.

We average over 10,000 people a home game, why do we only have 2200 season ticket holders? Because everyone knows you can walk up to the stadium 5 minutes before kickoff and get a ticket. That wouldn't be the case if the game were at HWF, a season ticket from either school would be the only way to guarantee yourself a first hand experience of the new rivalry.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I, too, prefer to travel to Brookings (as I have for several years) or Vermillion (if I can get a ticket) for games. I just think a SF game would be a good idea and should at least be studied.

As for season ticket holders, the HWF atmosphere isn't what would drive season tickets. The limited capacity and renewed rivalry will create a huge demand. By holding the game in a smaller stadium, the only way to guarantee a seat will be to buy season tickets.

We average over 10,000 people a home game, why do we only have 2200 season ticket holders? Because everyone knows you can walk up to the stadium 5 minutes before kickoff and get a ticket. That wouldn't be the case if the game were at HWF, a season ticket from either school would be the only way to guarantee yourself a first hand experience of the new rivalry.
                            I do like this. SF is dead-on point IMO on this one. It would be a major f-up if this game does end up in SF and season ticket holders from both schools and students don't get prime seating.

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post

I agree 100 %. And since the games are guaranteed sell-outs,let's get one of the network affiliates in SF (not a cable station) to broadcast it live - the way they have jumped on the resumption of the rivalry on their newscasts,they will be interested. That way we can spark interest not only for a thousand or two in Sioux Falls,but in all of South Dakota,NW Iowa and SW Minnesota.

Comment

I don't do season tickets because my work schedule is a rotating schedule. I have to work weekends at times. I buy my tickets for the games I can actually make it too.
                                Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                                X