Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If anyone says the game should be.......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If anyone says the game should be.......

AD Justin Sell mentioned multiple times today on Argus Leader's SDSU Chat that he has NO interest in playing the game in Sioux Falls. He also expects the first game to be at CAS, as does everyone else...

I played against UC Davis at Howard Wood - it sucked. I realize UC Davis isn't USD, but I hope we never play in that dump again!

Brookings or Verm-town, hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      played in Sioux Falls one more time I'm going to freak out. Howard Wood sucks and it would take away all kinds of money from Brookings and SDSU. Think of how much the restaurants, hotels, etc. benefit from that type of crowd coming into town. Quit talking about the game to be in Sioux Falls because that would be a joke. /rant
      Agreed. Agreed. Agreed.

It should be played in Grand Forks.
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Discussed this with the AD staff - Sayler is all for keeping the game on campus. USD has a lot of work to do in the fan support area - need to grow season ticket numbers.

USD is going to use the SDSU game and NDSU game as leverage to get Howling Pack memberships and Season Ticket Sales. With only 5300 permanent seats on one side - and who knows how many really fit on the bleachers - it will be a hot ticket. Basically if USD fans want a ticket, they will have to be a Howling Pack member and Season ticket holder - or you risk being on th outside looking in. I really hope that once people start developing more of a tradition of going to the game it will build into what it needs to be.

Does anyone on here know what the MVC requires home teams to make available to the visiting teams? Whatever it is, it will not be enough to meet demand.

Comment

SDSU's home is Brookings
          USD's home is in Vermillion

If you want to see a college football game in Sioux Falls there are plenty of opportunities.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

SDSU games should be played in Brookings and if USD was smart they should host us in Sioux Falls. Ask Sioux Falls to give the stadium for no charge and have tailgate areas for both schools and charge to get in and also take the increase in the number of ticket sold.
            Last edited by RabbitNation; 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM.

Comment

The game should only be held in Brookings and Vermillion. Anywhere else is ridiculous. I hate watching neutral site games for FBS because the atmosphere isn't as good. Nothing like the students being on their own campus or traveling to the other school's campus.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Agree completely. Attending a game at an on campus site is part of the draw for college sports.
                Last edited by Prairiehaas; 11-04-2010, 11:39 PM. Reason: sp
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

If one or both of the AD's don't look into playing in Sioux Falls, they are doing the school, the fans, the students, and the student athletes a disservice.

We didn't go DI by following tradition. We didn't make the move to DI by doing what we'd always done.

Like it or not, if SDSU is going to achieve the attendance levels and success we all want, we need administrators who think creatively.

Want another assistant basketball coach, wrestling coach, etc, to make our teams competitive? That takes money, and IMO the Brookings area is about tapped out. SDSU needs the Sioux Falls market to fill the new stadium and make donations.

USD is nipping at our heels, and will gladly take that market if we let them. Their AD is aggressive and thinks outside the box. He said on the radio yesterday that he would consider having the game in Sioux Falls, at least every couple years. You better believe he will consider having other games there too. USD needs the Sioux Falls market even more than SDSU does, and they are going to make a play for it.

But at least we'll have one extra game played on campus as the good lord intended.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Using your logic,having Sioux Falls fans exposed to the great basketball played at the Summit League tournament the last two years should have significantly increased the number of basketball season ticketholders from Sioux Falls. I have no idea if this has happened - do you think it has ?
                    Basketball season tickets are an entirely different animal. I think I watched every SDSU men's game last year, but don't have season tickets. Why? Because I don't want to get home at 11:00 on a Thursday night and get up for work the next day. Half my tickets would go to waste/be given away. I probably spent as much on fees for Summit TV and Jackrabbit insider as a season ticket would have cost.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by HadleyCoyote View Post
                      Agreed. It needs to be in Brookings or Vermillion.

I'd even go so far as to agree that the first game should be in Brookings. Hopefully giving time for USD to increase capacity in the dome for the next game - in Vermillion in... 2013, I think it would be.

Go Yotes.
                      You think the first game should be in Brookings? Sorry to burst your bubble but the Yotes are lucky the MVC has accepted them. If this game was to happen outside of conference play it would've never happened in Vermillion. How soon we forget who lead the way.

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                        You think the first game should be in Brookings? Sorry to burst your bubble but the Yotes are lucky the MVC has accepted them. If this game was to happen outside of conference play it would've never happened in Vermillion. How soon we forget who lead the way.
                        If the Yotes were accepted into the MVC then why are we talking about this in the football section and if they were accepted in the MVC wouldn't the contests have to be out of conference?

I would agree the MVFC should schedule the first game between the two schools in Brookings but my vote doesn't matter.
                        Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Having the game in Sioux Falls would not really bring any money to Brookings businesses. The students pay athletic fees for games. Which schools students would get in for free in Sioux Falls? Which schools season ticket holders get first shot at seating? Keep the game in Brookings and I hate to say it Vermillion and let the schools have their home field. People in Sioux Falls can make an effort to come to Brookings to watch the game and spend the money here (maybe we need to start building new bleachers already on the East side).
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                            I'll go one step further and say that Sioux Falls should be the LAST place in South Dakota a Football game between these two should EVER be played.

I realize no one else has the facilities to host such an event, but I'd rather watch in Pierre, or Chamberlain, or Sisseton, or Garretson, or Gregory, or Polo. Shall I continue?

There should be legislation stating such, don't you think? Brookings or Vermillion or BUST!!!!!
                            I go for Polo. I hear the Polo Grounds are pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              If one or both of the AD's don't look into playing in Sioux Falls, they are doing the school, the fans, the students, and the student athletes a disservice.

We didn't go DI by following tradition. We didn't make the move to DI by doing what we'd always done.

Like it or not, if SDSU is going to achieve the attendance levels and success we all want, we need administrators who think creatively.

Want another assistant basketball coach, wrestling coach, etc, to make our teams competitive? That takes money, and IMO the Brookings area is about tapped out. SDSU needs the Sioux Falls market to fill the new stadium and make donations.

USD is nipping at our heels, and will gladly take that market if we let them. Their AD is aggressive and thinks outside the box. He said on the radio yesterday that he would consider having the game in Sioux Falls, at least every couple years. You better believe he will consider having other games there too. USD needs the Sioux Falls market even more than SDSU does, and they are going to make a play for it.

But at least we'll have one extra game played on campus as the good lord intended.
                              Rep points for SF Rabbit. While I don't agree with him on a whole regarding this subject, he brings some very compelling points. I'm thankful that he brings some logical points in a passionate manner! It is always good to look outside of the box even if we don't take action on it for valid reasons.

This is a great opportunity to build much more passion in South Dakota football. While I believe the games should remain on campus, I love the fact that we can have a great debate. In my day, it only occured over a few beers where typically only one side was shared. Often, the logic was limited to the influence of the beer and the amount we could invest into it!

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                                Having the game in Sioux Falls would not really bring any money to Brookings businesses. The students pay athletic fees for games. Which schools students would get in for free in Sioux Falls? Which schools season ticket holders get first shot at seating? Keep the game in Brookings and I hate to say it Vermillion and let the schools have their home field. People in Sioux Falls can make an effort to come to Brookings to watch the game and spend the money here (maybe we need to start building new bleachers already on the East side).
                                By having the game in Sioux Falls, Brookings businesses would be making an investment (costs money in the short term) that will pay dividends over time (more Sioux Falls residents coming to the other games). Students would receive an allotment of tickets for the game. Do student fees fluctuate based on how many home games the football team has?

Each school's season ticket holders get an equal shot at seating. If more season tickets are sold than HWF seats, the game could start rotating between the schools. I would guess that HWF would hold the season ticket holders for around 5 years of growth, if the schools leverage the game right. USD's AD is already talking about leveraging their limited capacity to increase season ticket sales. SDSU does not have that option.

There are quite a few people from Sioux Falls who already make the effort to come to Brookings.

If you want to attract new fans, you need to do new things.

Comment

Working...
                                X