No announcement yet.

Can we do gameday like the big boys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can we do gameday like the big boys?

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
    South Dakota already does the video entrance with scenes of recognizable landmarks across the state, Mt Rushmore, the State Capitol, the Corn Palace, the DakotaDome, and then Charlie on the back of a Harley leading the team onto the field. Kinda pays homage to the whole Sturgis Bike Rally. Kinda neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EwxJNmZ9HA
    I like how the U inserted state landmarks (Corn Palace excluded). I like the quality and the idea but because the video is shot in the Dome along with the choice of a slash rock (is that the term) song it feels like something I would expect to see at an Arena FB game.

Comment

South Dakota already does the video entrance with scenes of recognizable landmarks across the state, Mt Rushmore, the State Capitol, the Corn Palace, the DakotaDome, and then Charlie on the back of a Harley leading the team onto the field. Kinda pays homage to the whole Sturgis Bike Rally. Kinda neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EwxJNmZ9HA
      Funny that they left out the campanile. Thats a South Dakota land mark.

Comment

I'm not big on the choice of songs either. It is pretty uptempo, however. I guess I'm a little more of an old school rocker and would have prefered AC/DC or another band like that. Other than that, I like the imagery.

There are a lot of different things SDSU could do. The best traditions, though, are the ones that just happen rather than being forced.

I like the giant cowbell idea with Hells Bells pounding in the background...or better yet, Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls".

Comment

I'm not big on the choice of songs either. It is pretty uptempo, however. I guess I'm a little more of an old school rocker and would have prefered AC/DC or another band like that. Other than that, I like the imagery.

There are a lot of different things SDSU could do. The best traditions, though, are the ones that just happen rather than being forced.

I like the giant cowbell idea with Hells Bells pounding in the background...or better yet, Metallica's "For Whom the Bell Tolls".
          Love the idea of using "For Whom the Bell Tolls."

Comment

Personally, I love the idea of the Metallica song, too.

However, anything Metallica is probably a little too hardcore for the current SDSU fan base, IMO>
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
              Love the idea of using "For Whom the Bell Tolls."
              Same.

And I agree with Y53 on not forcing things. On Hobo Day there were about 100 students holding a shoe in the air before every kick off. No idea how/why that started but if a bunch of people did that it could look pretty cool.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Not sure if we can match the scope of things at a major BCS program like, Texas, Nebraska, Iowa, or any number of SEC schools but there is no doubt we can make it a lot bigger event than it is.

I think we are already on that track. Things have improved tremendously from a number of years ago. Tailgating has become a big deal and should continue to improve. Now, there have been some hiccups. The video and timing of the entry can be improved.

There have been a lot of people that have talked about how good the gameday scene is at Montana. That is a realistic target. Granted they have a great stadium to do it and a solid tradition but SDSU is going to get a stadium in the not too distant future and interest in the program has definitely increased. My hope would be to see the team's entrance be a design factor in the new stadium. A walk on the bricks from the locker room to the corner of the stadium like Nebraska would be killer.

It wouldn't necessarily have to cost a lot of $$$ to make it a really kickass entrance.

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                  The number one thing that could be done to make the intro better would be to close down tailgating at least 45 minutes prior to kickoff.
                  No, no, no,no,no,no,no!!!!!!!!!! Not even a little bit, enough people bitch(including me)about the 1/2 hour.
                  With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                    No, no, no,no,no,no,no!!!!!!!!!! Not even a little bit, enough people bitch(including me)about the 1/2 hour.
                    I hear you.

But until we get a new stadium with easier in/out access, it takes waaaaaaay too long for 13000 people to file through 2 turnstiles, through the bathrooms, through concessions, and up narrow stairs to their seats. I usually leave tailgating about when it closes, and there have been games when I was just leaving the bathroom at kickoff.

Do you want a rocking stadium for intro? If so, something needs to be done to get people into their seats in time to see it. IMO, the intro video and band are only about half of what makes a great intro atmosphere. The crowd provides the rest. That's all I'm saying.
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The key is to make the intro so gosh darn cool that youo wouldn't think of missing it. That's the way it is at Nebraska and many other places. You make sure your butt is in the seat when the show starts.

A work in progress.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The mentality that the beginning of the game isn't that big of deal is going to take some time. Most people are more interested in getting as much tailgating in as possible. Hard to get the crowd into the game too much when half of them are waiting to get to their seats. People need to realize that the game is the reason that they are out at Coughlin on a Saturday and not sitting in a grassy field.

I love tailgating, but I love to watch football much more. Heck, some folks in my season ticket section don't get to their seats until a couple minutes into the 1st quarter and then leave at the end of the 3rd quarter to head to Cubby's. The mentality needs to be adjusted and that will take time.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          Rabbit = peace sign with index and middle finger bent slightly forward. Now make a "hopping" gesture and ask yourself if we want to be doing that to intimidate our opponents. I don't know the answer to that question.

How about just both arms straight up, waving around for a crowd full of rabbit ears?
                          I like the "peace sign" with the index and middle fingers slightly bent. I think it works best with those two fingers spread far apart instead of barely spread. I think it best to forego the hopping motionthough. Does anyone wish to join me in making the sign of the rabbit at the game. I think that when the bell sounds at the beginning of the intro video would be one appropriate time to do it.

Be a Rabbit!
                          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by mgbison View Post
                            Wisconsin's jump around tops the cake in my book. It goes crazy.
                            I had to look that one up...

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/Story?id=1172725

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                              Same.

And I agree with Y53 on not forcing things. On Hobo Day there were about 100 students holding a shoe in the air before every kick off. No idea how/why that started but if a bunch of people did that it could look pretty cool.
                              I've seen a lot of college student sections do that. I've never heard why. Anybody know?
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                                YouTube it to get the real thing. It's pretty amazing
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X