Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ysu gdt

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    Also, how about Priddy punting ANOTHER one inside the 5.

Dude is lights out.

I told the people around me I'd bet 20 bucks he'll pin 'em inside the 5 on that one and sure as crap he did.

To bad no one took the bet.
    Was happy for him. A true leader. He does more than just kick footballs.

Comment

Best play for me. Minett in flash formation, looks to hand the ball to Duffy who is immediately tackled, Minett pulling the ball out as Duffy is tackled and then running for 67 or so yards.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
        Is Stig adopting the Tressel look on a permanent basis?

Also, got to love Wolford for almost going full Landry for the game.
        Was Wolford in a business suit during the game? I did not see him across the way so I assumed he was wearing coaching garb, and for him to show up at the press conference dressed like a Wall street CEO was a bit of surprise. Wolford is a classy guy in dress and in his remarks towards SDSU. His comment about pulling our leg brought a smile to my face. I really think he was, as much as their fake punt on fourth down.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Nice game...what great weather, too. I wonder how many stayed away out of concern about rain? Crowd: I think they said 14,6++...just shy of 14,700. If weather.com would have predicted decreasing clouds throughout the afternoon, that crowd would have been well over 15,000.
          Well....it just goes to show....show up get to the games and you never know what might happen! The worst that could have happened is you get a little wet and we might have lost. The best that happened: It perhaps was the most beautiful day of football towards the end of October that I can recall, and we won!
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
            Best play for me. Minett in flash formation, looks to hand the ball to Duffy who is immediately tackled, Minett pulling the ball out as Duffy is tackled and then running for 67 or so yards.
            He actually faked it to Kool, I believe, but I may be wrong.

He talked about the play in the presser (I believe someone posted a link to it on Terry's blog) and said that it was a busted play so he just decided to run it. He made a great cut back on that one.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              The "athletic" play of the day may have been big # 90 from Youngstown chasing him down from behind on that play. I didn't have a program,but he looked to be 6'4 or 5 and at least 260-270 and had a lot of speed.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                The "athletic" play of the day may have been big # 90 from Youngstown chasing him down from behind on that play. I didn't have a program,but he looked to be 6'4 or 5 and at least 260-270 and had a lot of speed.
                Agreed. I thought that he would pull way from big #90, but he didn't! That was pretty crazy to watch on the replay.
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Nidaros: I watched part of the game (DVR'd it) when I got home from the game and noted Coach Wolford did not have a coat and tie on during the game but did during the press conference...so, must have switched right after the game.

I'd have to agree that Youngstown's 90 might have made the most impressive play. The program lists him as Sophomore, 6-3, 250-lb Obinna Ekweremuba from Orlu, Nigeria. The guy had good wheels for his size (not bad wheels for any size) and he had sustain too--many linemen would run out of gas after 20 yards.

Comment

I liked most of what I saw yesterday and most of it has been pointed out.

I am truly just blown away at how well Minett and the fat guys are playing. Which would lead to one small gripe from yesterday. After the first drive, the Jacks were getting 6+ on first down and then throwing twice for 3 and outs. This led to YSU's lead they had. A couple of the throws were the sketchy ones RO speaks of in the thread. I know we've b*tched about boring play calling, but wow, how demoralizing is it to get kicked in the teeth on the line every time #30 gets the ball? Also suggested by others, play action. When you can run for 200+ yards, play action should be the most deadly play in the book.

Great redemption by Rollin after the hair-pulling TD drop to take that slant to the house on 3rd and quite a bit. That slant route was there for the taking most of the day.

The D was adequate. The fumble in the first half was big because YSU appeared to be driving again. And the fumble was solely their fault for not hanging on or jumping on the ball. Getting off the field on third down would be nice. Their scoring drives were loaded with 3rd down converstions. One play is all it takes to get off the field. But kudos to the defense for holding 3 straight downs after the fake punt. That could have been a huge game-changing play...see Michigan St. highlights from Saturday.

Another drive that sticks in my head. After the big punt return by Brodie gets called back (I wish I sat on that side of the field to really see this hold they speak of). But the offense comes on the field and goes on an 80+ yard drive and takes a bunch of time off the clock in the process. Way to not get frustrated and come out and do the job to pretty much put the game out of reach. I believe that was the drive Rollin scored on.

The focus today was impressive. I like what Minett said after the game. "We're not happy we're 3-4" (in a nutshell). They are focused to make amends for the slow start. Do I believe 7-4 is possible? If they come into every game with the focus to go 1-0 every week...absolutely.

Comment

And way to go crowd all day.

Tons of people at the parade and stood through the spotty rain. Was there a scheduled intermission at the parade or what?

And then people showing up to the game with a sketchy weather forecast, which ended up being WRONG. And an active crowd. The sauced up students in the end zone were really good. And a lot of the other crowd was good too.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                        I liked most of what I saw yesterday and most of it has been pointed out.

I am truly just blown away at how well Minett and the fat guys are playing. Which would lead to one small gripe from yesterday. After the first drive, the Jacks were getting 6+ on first down and then throwing twice for 3 and outs. This led to YSU's lead they had. A couple of the throws were the sketchy ones RO speaks of in the thread. I know we've b*tched about boring play calling, but wow, how demoralizing is it to get kicked in the teeth on the line every time #30 gets the ball? Also suggested by others, play action. When you can run for 200+ yards, play action should be the most deadly play in the book.

Great redemption by Rollin after the hair-pulling TD drop to take that slant to the house on 3rd and quite a bit. That slant route was there for the taking most of the day.

The D was adequate. The fumble in the first half was big because YSU appeared to be driving again. And the fumble was solely their fault for not hanging on or jumping on the ball. Getting off the field on third down would be nice. Their scoring drives were loaded with 3rd down converstions. One play is all it takes to get off the field. But kudos to the defense for holding 3 straight downs after the fake punt. That could have been a huge game-changing play...see Michigan St. highlights from Saturday.

Another drive that sticks in my head. After the big punt return by Brodie gets called back (I wish I sat on that side of the field to really see this hold they speak of). But the offense comes on the field and goes on an 80+ yard drive and takes a bunch of time off the clock in the process. Way to not get frustrated and come out and do the job to pretty much put the game out of reach. I believe that was the drive Rollin scored on.

The focus today was impressive. I like what Minett said after the game. "We're not happy we're 3-4" (in a nutshell). They are focused to make amends for the slow start. Do I believe 7-4 is possible? If they come into every game with the focus to go 1-0 every week...absolutely.
                        The one time I questioned the play-calling was on our second or third possession after Minett had run for eight yards to set up 2nd and two from the YSU 45. TOB then threw 2 incompletions followed by a punt. Just wanted to stand up and yell to just run the d**n ball.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          The one time I questioned the play-calling was on our second or third possession after Minett had run for eight yards to set up 2nd and two from the YSU 45. TOB then threw 2 incompletions followed by a punt. Just wanted to stand up and yell to just run the d**n ball.
                          This is the main one I was talking about. I think they did it on the 2nd and 3rd series, but it may have been only one of them, but they went 3 and out on both.

And I did yell run the dam ball along with about 1000 other people around me.

But...all in all, probably the best offensive game of the year IMO.
                          Last edited by sfjacksfan99; 10-25-2010, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                            This is the main one I was talking about. I think they did it on the 2nd and 3rd series, but it may have been only one of them, but they went 3 and out on both.

And I did yell run the dam ball along with about 1000 other people around me.

But...all in all, probably the best offensive game of the year IMO.
                            Your seats must be in section G. There was a very vocal group that sat above me that had that exact reaction.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

YSU was probably thinking a run was coming, too. I know, I know, the run was working well; but we have to mix it up and I thought the play calling, overall, was pretty well done on Saturday (I claim to have little to no knowledge of x's and o's).

It bothers me that we seem to give up a lot of short passes but you know, when that game was done, we once again found a way to win against a team that, in spite of its record, has some talented guys and is not a bad football team. We are consistently playing better ball, offensively and defensively, throughout the entire game. The Jacks have some young guys who are maturing a great deal each week and some are looking like seasoned veterans.

Comment

I know the offense has made big strides the last few weeks. I remember when TOB took over last year, there were a lot of dropped passes early on. TOB throws the ball harder than most and I think the velocity probably increases during a game because he is amped up. Eventually the team adjusted and the offense started moving the ball.

Same thing this year, with almost all new WR's, there were a lot of dropped passes early and now the past three or four weeks, the WR are starting catch more balls and having fewer dropped passes.

The offensive line has also made big strides since the beginning of the season. The run game is starting to click and the pass protection has been really good.

Hopefully both segments of the offense can continue playing the way they have and we can go 1-0 again this week.

Go State!!!

Go Jacks!!!
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                                X