Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Schedule

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Why is there Morgan State in this link for 2011?

https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/TicketH...ORIES_ID=34302
    We might not know the date, but at least we know it's the Cereal Bowl.

Comment

Does Morgan State have an opening on September 3rd or 17th? I looked at their athletic website but couldn't find anything.
      Where is Morgan State? Are they Div. 1AA?

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
        Where is Morgan State? Are they Div. 1AA?
        Morgan State is in Maryland. They are a FCS team in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, which is part of a grouping of schools that are HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities), similar to Grambling or Southern University. The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference winner does have an automatic bid into the playoffs, this past year it was South Carolina State University.

Morgan State did travel to Fargo last year to play NDSU (Bison won 35-9), so they have been in these parts before. Looks like they went 4-7 last year, this should be a good game for us, but ultimately we should win.

Comment

Morgan St. is likely to be a "bought" opponent rather than a home and home. However, I like that MEAC teams are looking to add non-HBCU's rather than play up or SWAC opponents only. The beef on the MEAC is that they don't play tough FCS opponents OOC, and due to losing in the play-offs, are getting the reputation as an "easy" opponent come play-off time.

Morgan St. is in a ROUGH portion of Baltimore, and is a classic inner-city HBCU.

Cereal Bowl is typically the first home game? If so, this is likely to 9/3.

If rumor of a Cal-Poly game is true, 9-17, likely away, Jacks are set for games in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            Morgan St. is likely to be a "bought" opponent rather than a home and home. However, I like that MEAC teams are looking to add non-HBCU's rather than play up or SWAC opponents only. The beef on the MEAC is that they don't play tough FCS opponents OOC, and due to losing in the play-offs, are getting the reputation as an "easy" opponent come play-off time.

Morgan St. is in a ROUGH portion of Baltimore, and is a classic inner-city HBCU.

If rumor of a Cal-Poly game is true, 9-17, likely away, Jacks are set for games in 2011.
            Thanks for the info.

Comment

If any Jackrabbit fans are looking for an away game to attend, and we do indeed end up playing at Cal Poly, I would suggest that trip. Fun area to visit, great scenic stadium and campus, and fantastic weather. If Jerry Lohr ends up hosting an event again in conjunction with the game, that is a great event/opportunity as well.

I was fortunate to attend the game out there two years ago, and it was a blast. I thought that might be the last time we play out there for a while, but it looks like there might be another opportunity.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                If any Jackrabbit fans are looking for an away game to attend, and we do indeed end up playing at Cal Poly, I would suggest that trip. Fun area to visit, great scenic stadium and campus, and fantastic weather. If Jerry Lohr ends up hosting an event again in conjunction with the game, that is a great event/opportunity as well.

I was fortunate to attend the game out there two years ago, and it was a blast. I thought that might be the last time we play out there for a while, but it looks like there might be another opportunity.
                I've heard the same about the Lohr event as well. I have never been fortunate enough to attend but have heard great things from those who have.

Comment

Great info. The first home game could be 9/17 though too correct? Thus making the game on the 17th the cereal bowl.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Great info. The first home game could be 9/17 though too correct? Thus making the game on the 17th the cereal bowl.
                    I certainly hope we have a home game before we travel to Illinois to face the Big 10 school.

Comment

IMHO, IF Cal POLY is a 2011 opponent, the ONLY date where SDSU & Cal Poly jointly are open is 9/17. And having only 3 home games, Poly HAS to get an opponent at home. SDSU & Poly have played as much since the move up as any team not NDSU. IIRC, this year is the only one where Poly WASN'T an opponent.

The fact that GOJACKS has Morgan St. vs Jacks should be a strong indication that SDSU and Morgan St. are playing the 1st home game.

So again, as long as Poly and Morgan St. are Jacks FCS opponents, this should be:

9/3 - Morgan St. (Cereal Bowl)
                      9/10 - @ Illinois
                      9/17 - @ Cal Poly
                      Then MO VALLEY the rest of the way.

No week off, and no game 11/19. Last home game, 11/5 (Hobo Day?)

Comment

IMHO, IF Cal POLY is a 2011 opponent, the ONLY date where SDSU & Cal Poly jointly are open is 9/17. And having only 3 home games, Poly HAS to get an opponent at home. SDSU & Poly have played as much since the move up as any team not NDSU. IIRC, this year is the only one where Poly WASN'T an opponent.

The fact that GOJACKS has Morgan St. vs Jacks should be a strong indication that SDSU and Morgan St. are playing the 1st home game.

So again, as long as Poly and Morgan St. are Jacks FCS opponents, this should be:

9/3 - Morgan St. (Cereal Bowl)
                        9/10 - @ Illinois
                        9/17 - @ Cal Poly
                        Then MO VALLEY the rest of the way.

No week off, and no game 11/19. Last home game, 11/5 (Hobo Day?)
                        I completely blanked out that Cal Poly was most likely already in the schedule. Thanks.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

So if speculation is correct:

Sept. 3 Morgan State
                          Sept. 10 @ Illinois
                          Sept. 17 @ Cal Poly
                          Sept. 24 @ Illinois State
                          Oct. 1 Indiana State
                          Oct. 8 @ YSU
                          Oct. 15 UNI
                          Oct. 22 NDSU
                          Oct. 29 @ Missouri State
                          Nov. 5 Southern Illinois
                          Nov. 12 @ Western Illinois
                          Nov. 19th Open

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post

I'll do everything in my power to get back to Cal-Poly if we play there this fall, especially if J Lohr hosts an event and even if he doesn't. It is an absolutely great time and I'll spend more than just 2 nights this year.

Morgan State at home on the 3rd and then Cal-Poly away on the 17th would be acceptable to me as long as we get a home game with Poly in the near future and we don't have to go out to Morgan State (we need to buy games like this).
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Sept. 3 Morgan State (Cereal Bowl)
                              Sept. 10 @ Illinois
                              Sept. 17 @ Cal Poly
                              Oct. 1 Indiana State (Beef Bowl)
                              Oct. 8 @ YSU
                              Oct. 15 UNI
                              Oct. 22 NDSU
                              Oct. 29 @ Missouri State
                              Nov. 5 Southern Illinois (Hobo Day)
                              Nov. 19th Open
                              That looks like a pretty good schedule! Chance for 13K average should be good if 3-2 or better post Indiana St.

Comment

Sept. 3 Morgan State
                                Sept. 10 @ Illinois
                                Sept. 17 @ Cal Poly
                                Oct. 1 Indiana State
                                Oct. 8 @ YSU
                                Oct. 15 UNI
                                Oct. 22 NDSU
                                Oct. 29 @ Missouri State
                                Nov. 5 Southern Illinois
                                Nov. 19th Open
                                Man that's a tough start to the year again. Game 1 should be a lock but then three tough road games in a row. We get most of the better teams at home in conference though so that should help balance it out. I'll go with a 2-2 start, win 3 of 4 conference games at home and 2 of 3 on the road against YSU/MSU/WIU for a 7-4 season and a playoff birth.

Comment

Working...
                                X