2011 Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2011 Schedule

This program has proven the last few years that it needs a "patsy" to get the kinks worked out before playing a tough schedule. I'm in the camp that we need one game against a lower level opponent early in the year where attendence is going to be high regardless. I would take an area DII over non-scholarship where we can make some money and get the season going on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      This program has proven the last few years that it needs a "patsy" to get the kinks worked out before playing a tough schedule. I'm in the camp that we need one game against a lower level opponent early in the year where attendence is going to be high regardless. I would take an area DII over non-scholarship where we can make some money and get the season going on the right track.

If you can get an FCS non-scholarship over a D-2, you gotta take the FCS non-scholarship, because a D-2 would not count for the win towards playoffs.

My reason for bringing it up has to do with the $185K and a possible top 25 ranked team in SUU, vs. paying a d-2 team $40K and getting a good warm-up win even though it doesn't count towards playoffs.

I guess the more I think about it, the more it bothers me that we would agree to pay a team, that could be very good this year, $185K. I just have a hard time believing that for however long the athletic dept knew we needed a OOC game for 2011 that this was the best they could come up with, especially when they're willing to spend that much money. I've just got to think that for $185K, you would be able to get an almost sure-thing FCS win. I'm sure I'm wrong and it's not as easy as I think but...dang, this one is hard to grasp for me.

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        Just wanted to throw this out there for discussion:

Is SDSU better off scheduling at "body bag game" a d-2 or lower for $40K, instead of $185K for a possible top 25 team??

I've always been completely opposed to it, but I'm starting to wonder.

Thoughts??

Go Jacks!!

How soon we forget the "L" word.

Comment

With more teams going D-I and more teams seeking non-conference warm-up games, the price, no doubt, is rising. I like that the Jacks play a tough schedule and didn't drop down to D-II or D-III to fill out the five-game home schedule for this coming season. Going on the road to play a powerhouse like Delaware is one thing. Hosting a solid Southern Utah team is better.
          This space for lease.

Comment

My reason for bringing it up has to do with the $185K and a possible top 25 ranked team in SUU, vs. paying a d-2 team $40K and getting a good warm-up win even though it doesn't count towards playoffs.

I guess the more I think about it, the more it bothers me that we would agree to pay a team, that could be very good this year, $185K. I just have a hard time believing that for however long the athletic dept knew we needed a OOC game for 2011 that this was the best they could come up with, especially when they're willing to spend that much money. I've just got to think that for $185K, you would be able to get an almost sure-thing FCS win. I'm sure I'm wrong and it's not as easy as I think but...dang, this one is hard to grasp for me.

Go Jacks!!
            If this team wants to be considered one of the top programs in FCS, then these are the type of games they should schedule and win. I have never been a fan of watching a team play down.

If it is a problem with a team not being prepared or ready to play, that is on the coaching staff not the schedule makers.

In addition, I would much rather play a game that helps the team make the playoffs.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              If this team wants to be considered one of the top programs in FCS, then these are the type of games they should schedule and win. I have never been a fan of watching a team play down.

If it is a problem with a team not being prepared or ready to play, that is on the coaching staff not the schedule makers.

In addition, I would much rather play a game that helps the team make the playoffs.
              Well, if you look at the schedule of the top programs, the ones who made the playoffs last year... that's not how it works... Eastern Washington played a D2 team. Delaware played West Chester. North Dakota State played Morgan State and USD. Georgia Southern played Savannah State. Villanova played Towson.

You can pretty much run through the FCS playoff field and you'll find that just about every team played some weaker or lower division opponent in an out-of-conference game. So while it's nice to say we should play these kinds of games... so should everybody else. But they don't. So we're at a disadvantage in the end.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

If you can get an FCS non-scholarship over a D-2, you gotta take the FCS non-scholarship, because a D-2 would not count for the win towards playoffs.

Go Jacks!!
                maybe we should have offered morgan state a little more $ to come here and play. Southern Utah will be very difficult to beat and a morgan state would have been a much easier game for the jacks to win.. We need to win!! Missouri Valley is tough enough and then to schedule Cal poly, so. utah and illinois cmon man that will be difficult someone earlier mentioned 7-4 and going to the playoffs.. I hope so but those #'s could be easily reversed here!!

Comment

Looks like if we waited a little longer we could have scheduled USD.

http://www.yankton.net/articles/2011...f568583305.txt

Their Sept 17th opponent, Lamar, backed out of the game and they have a spot to fill.

Just saying.

My favorite part of the article,

Last fall, USD suffered a season-ending 24-20 loss at Lamar, which was playing its first season of football since 1989

Comment

I'd say the schedule makers dropped the ball...again. When you are in a 9 team conference you should not have so much trouble filling out a schedule. This is becoming more of a trend rather than a one or two time deal.

$185k for a potential loss. Ugh. Fork out the extra $15k for a probable win. It will help in the long run. More confidence = likelihood of winning more games = more people at home games = cancelling out the $15k difference.

USD has the defending national champions coming to Vermillion. Are they doing a 3 for 1 to get that or what? If not, their schedulemakers are making ours look moronic.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post

USD has the defending national champions coming to Vermillion. Are they doing a 3 for 1 to get that or what? If not, their schedulemakers are making ours look moronic.
                      USD's schedule is not very good. Sure they are playing E Washington, but they also have home games vs Lindenwood and Missouri S&T. (two teams that I presume are DII) and with Lamar backing out they have another hole to fill and it sounds like it might have to be another lower level school.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
                        USD's schedule is not very good. Sure they are playing E Washington, but they also have home games vs Lindenwood and Missouri S&T. (two teams that I presume are DII) and with Lamar backing out they have another hole to fill and it sounds like it might have to be another lower level school.
                        Lindenwood is moving up to D2 from NAIA. Looks like they are sort of USF at the NAIA level. Missouri S &T is hardly NWMU at Maryville. If they would schedule NWMU or Missouri Western, they would have a good challenge. But I suppose these two have schedules filled and are real choosing about playing up a classification. It does not help their D2 playoff chances.

Comment

I'd say the schedule makers dropped the ball...again. When you are in a 9 team conference you should not have so much trouble filling out a schedule. This is becoming more of a trend rather than a one or two time deal.

$185k for a potential loss. Ugh. Fork out the extra $15k for a probable win. It will help in the long run. More confidence = likelihood of winning more games = more people at home games = cancelling out the $15k difference.

When you're naive its easy to be overly critical, I do it a more often then I should. It's not as easy as you think. Our guys have been burned a few times just like USD got burned this year. USD announced a schedule that was not finalized and now are looking at not having an 11th game. That happened in 2009 as well. So don't be so quick to praise USD the scheduling difficulties have hurt them much more than us.

Why is everyone so down on bringing SUU in to Brookings? It's a game I'm confident we will win and there is some name recognition there. Paying 185K isn't ideal but it became necessary. Making deals whether there 2 for 1 or 1 for 1 doesn't solve the problem. Just ask Mr. Sayler at USD.

So, stop fretting over the schedule and enjoy the season. I sure am going to.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                            Lindenwood is D1 FCS. Missouri S &T is hardly NWMU at Maryville. If they would schedule NWMU or Missouri Western, they would have a good challenge. But I suppose these two have schedules filled and are real choosing about playing up a classification. It does not help their D2 playoff chances.
                            Lindenwood is actually NAIA recalssing to DII. They start MIAA conference schedule in 2012 I believe.....
                            Fighting Sioux

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Lindenwood is D1 FCS. Missouri S &T is hardly NWMU at Maryville. If they would schedule NWMU or Missouri Western, they would have a good challenge. But I suppose these two have schedules filled and are real choosing about playing up a classification. It does not help their D2 playoff chances.
                              Lindenwood is an NAIA program that either lost to or beat USF in the title game a few years ago. They are not DI or FCS.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

If were were a 9-1 team last yr and returned a lot of key people I could understand the scheduling more. Heck- We were 5-6, lose a quality group of seniors and are rebuilding in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X