Is it time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it time?

Someone has to say it, is it time to give Jordan Thomas a chance? We are 0-4 for the first time since 1969.

Re: Is it time?

As much as I would like to agree this isn't the answer. From nearly every report I have heard and read he had a TERRIBLE fall camp. I have no idea what and how he has been doing since school started but I just think TOB is still are best option right now. The post season is a long shot at best right now. Why not let TOB continue to grow and build trust with the receivers that he will be playing with in future seasons. I know this still isn't a great idea but Jordan isn't the future of the football team. TOB and Sumner are but I sure hope they don't pull that redshirt from Sumner.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Absolutely not. We knew the front part of the schedule was the heavy part. TOB is our option and that's it.
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
        Someone has to say it, is it time to give Jordan Thomas a chance? We are 0-4 for the first time since 1969.
        I have a better idea- put someone opposite of Tyrel Kool that can also run and take Rollins and put him in the slot where he can use his big body. He really doesn't pose a vertical threat-that would give TOB more options. I have heard other people talk about this at games and it sounds logical to me.

Comment

I'm on the no way bandwagon also. Thomas will make us beg for TOB back, IMO. Everybody's favorite player on a struggling team is the backup quarterback.

And anybody who thinks they should pull Sumner's redshirt to get him experience for the rest of the year is nuts.

After four games I think the glaring differences from last year are now pretty obvious. I never thought the biggest loss from last year would be the receivers, but now after four games, I would rank the linebackers + Conrad, the #1 loss followed very closely by the receivers. Think about what Fox, J. Steffen and even Montague brought to the team, especially TOB. All of them seemed to have precise route running, Fox caught everything that came within shouting distance of him, Steffen was the big (size-wise) receiver the team does not have now, and Montague was effective short, long and everything in between.

Kool is more like Reggie Bush than a true #1 wide receiver. I don't know what the heck Rollin's problem is, I thought he would be the #1. Gant, Tiefenthaler and #23 (who's name slips my head) are all spotty at best. And the one thing in common with all of these guys, they're all young.

The one thing I kept hearing through the summer and in fall camp. TOB stayed in Brookings all summer throwing balls to the guys who were around. None of them are on the same page. And if they were gelling all summer throwing and catching balls, it doesn't show.

Is this year lost? Most likely. I think the thing they need to work on is chemistry between the WR's and TOB. Bringing in Thomas is not going to help this.

Oh yeah speaking of working on next year, bring in Dom Clare on Minett's off-series. He's going to be here next year and Duffy isn't. And he's a change of pace from Minett. He's got some outside speed with a little power. Duffy is just Minett Lite.

Comment

I think it's time we recruit a quarterback that has the skills and toughness to take off and run the damn ball to keep the defense honest. Andy Kardoes comes to mind. The "wildcat" is our answer to not having a quarterback who can or will run the ball. It's a testament to Minnet's abilty that he has as much success in a formation that everyone know whats coming. Listening to the broadcast on the radio it seemed even the completions O'Brien did make it was a not the kind of throw and catch that allowed the reciever to advance the ball. O'Brien continues to lock on to receivers like Kool who is getting punished physically because of it. Our quarterback seems so concerned about getting hit even with good protection that he makes bad decisions. I don't recall even one time where he takes off and runs when the pocket collapses. With mediocre quarterback play we win at Minnesota, Nebraska, and UNI. Wished we had other options. I think it was a mistake to annoit him last year and not give the other quarterbacks at the time to have a legitimate shot at starting.

Comment

Clare should be getting some carries. Great point.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                I'm on the no way bandwagon also. Thomas will make us beg for TOB back, IMO. Everybody's favorite player on a struggling team is the backup quarterback.

And anybody who thinks they should pull Sumner's redshirt to get him experience for the rest of the year is nuts.

After four games I think the glaring differences from last year are now pretty obvious. I never thought the biggest loss from last year would be the receivers, but now after four games, I would rank the linebackers + Conrad, the #1 loss followed very closely by the receivers. Think about what Fox, J. Steffen and even Montague brought to the team, especially TOB. All of them seemed to have precise route running, Fox caught everything that came within shouting distance of him, Steffen was the big (size-wise) receiver the team does not have now, and Montague was effective short, long and everything in between.

Kool is more like Reggie Bush than a true #1 wide receiver. I don't know what the heck Rollin's problem is, I thought he would be the #1. Gant, Tiefenthaler and #23 (who's name slips my head) are all spotty at best. And the one thing in common with all of these guys, they're all young.

The one thing I kept hearing through the summer and in fall camp. TOB stayed in Brookings all summer throwing balls to the guys who were around. None of them are on the same page. And if they were gelling all summer throwing and catching balls, it doesn't show.

Is this year lost? Most likely. I think the thing they need to work on is chemistry between the WR's and TOB. Bringing in Thomas is not going to help this.

Oh yeah speaking of working on next year, bring in Dom Clare on Minett's off-series. He's going to be here next year and Duffy isn't. And he's a change of pace from Minett. He's got some outside speed with a little power. Duffy is just Minett Lite.
                Rollins problem is a 4.65 forty type speed. Looks great in a uniform- just can't run-it was obvious in the UNI game yesterday. No DB in our conference has to honor that. Same with Hubert#23- possession type guys that can't threaten a secondary..

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
                  Clare should be getting some carries. Great point.
                  Clare will be a Sr. next year, why not let Winterboer the RS Frosh play

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                    I've said that before too, I hate to backburner Duffy....but we need to get these other RB's in the game now....Clare, Winterboer, Kool

Has anyone considered that maybe TOB and Eidsness aren't gelling?
                    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      I think it's time we recruit a quarterback that has the skills and toughness to take off and run the damn ball to keep the defense honest. Andy Kardoes comes to mind. The "wildcat" is our answer to not having a quarterback who can or will run the ball. It's a testament to Minnet's abilty that he has as much success in a formation that everyone know whats coming. Listening to the broadcast on the radio it seemed even the completions O'Brien did make it was a not the kind of throw and catch that allowed the reciever to advance the ball. O'Brien continues to lock on to receivers like Kool who is getting punished physically because of it. Our quarterback seems so concerned about getting hit even with good protection that he makes bad decisions. I don't recall even one time where he takes off and runs when the pocket collapses. With mediocre quarterback play we win at Minnesota, Nebraska, and UNI. Wished we had other options. I think it was a mistake to annoit him last year and not give the other quarterbacks at the time to have a legitimate shot at starting.
                      Mike Whittier (spelling?) would be your guy there. If he was still around I would be all about giving him a shot. But since Thomas isn't a great option, and pulling Sumners redshirt would be crazy, I think we have to stick with TOB for now.

Comment

They should fire all the coaches now and bench any seniors or non-productive players. Why waste time on guys who won't be around next year.

Seriously, stick with TOB for the season. If he doesn't improve this year he may never be the QB many thought he would be.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                          They should fire all the coaches now and bench any seniors or non-productive players. Why waste time on guys who won't be around next year.

Seriously, stick with TOB for the season. If he doesn't improve this year he may never be the QB many thought he would be.
                          And the non-productive players would be??

Comment

I believe that was tongue in cheek there speedrabbit.
                            "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                            -Leo Rosten

Comment

i never saw a sdsu game until this year and that was the game against delaware broadcast on the web. TOB locking on to the primary receiver is what he does. it's a glaring weakness in his game. it's the first thing i said when the the rabbits got on offense against delaware. if he can't overcome that part of his game sdsu isn't going anywhere as long as he's the QB. DB's watch his eyes because that's where the ball is going. i don't know if this is coaching or not. are the plays chiseled in stone by the coaches? or is there room to improvise on all plays. if players can't go with what the defense gives them and improvise on the fly, then it's coaching. that kind of coaching isn't going to get it done at the D1 level. if the QB is allowed to take what is given to him by the defense and he can't see it then it's on him. like it or not, that's how i see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X