A page from the book of Husker fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A page from the book of Husker fans

One thing I absolutely loved about the Husker fans was their friendliness, even when you were walking around, if they thought you were looking for something they would ask if you needed any directions.

The clapping as the other team enters the field and leaves. It's just extraordinary. I really like it. It just sends a great message about a football game and adds positivity to it. I don't think they ever booed their own team either, regardless of some of the things that weren't happening for them.

Even when the one husker fan I was talking to started disparaging Texas fans and not wanting to be around them, the other Husker fans jumped him about being nice to the Texas fans when they came up to visit.

I also think our fan did an awesome job, now if we can somehow get that rolling at home!

cordiality, hospitality and respect.
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Re: A page from the book of Husker fans

I think that a good majority of people that are fans of teams are cordial. The problem is that we only really hear about or hear from the real idiots.

Squeaky wheel syndrome I suppose...
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Absolutely,

The UNL game day experience was great.. I don't know how many times I heard "Welcome to Lincoln" and "good luck" and as I purveyed the tailgating I was offered beer and food.

I appreciated this.. Of corse we were not viewed as any sort of threat.

But a simple "Welcome to Brookings" would be a great way to greet our visitors .

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        One thing I absolutely loved about the Husker fans was their friendliness, even when you were walking around, if they thought you were looking for something they would ask if you needed any directions.

The clapping as the other team enters the field and leaves. It's just extraordinary. I really like it. It just sends a great message about a football game and adds positivity to it. I don't think they ever booed their own team either, regardless of some of the things that weren't happening for them.

Even when the one husker fan I was talking to started disparaging Texas fans and not wanting to be around them, the other Husker fans jumped him about being nice to the Texas fans when they came up to visit.

I also think our fan did an awesome job, now if we can somehow get that rolling at home!

cordiality, hospitality and respect.
        When the husker band played the SDSU school song they had people in the crowd clapping-that says a lot to me.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedRabbit View Post
          When the husker band played the SDSU school song they had people in the crowd clapping-that says a lot to me.
          Well, it IS a catchy song......

Comment

Agree completely. Great experience among fans. Got some good natured ribbing but overwhelmingly treated awesome by everyone I ran into.

Comment

^^^^^
              This=Class act IMO

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

I appreciated this.. Of corse we were not viewed as any sort of threat.
                I thought that too, but evidently this is how their fan base acts all the time. Random people kept coming up to other friends of mine and thanked them for coming down.
                Bartenders asking if you had a great time in their establishment.Half the time bartenders in brookings don't even appreciate your business.
                I think that really lent to the gameday experience for me, anyways.
                I mean if the Pride would learn some of the other schools fight songs and play them for them.
                It takes two teams to make a game and I think it's something that should be appreciated more.
                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I know playing in band in high school, we would always practice the school song for the other team. You don't really see that in the college level. Nice move my Nebraska.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Even a guy panhandling on the street got up from his place next to a building and came over to us to inquire if we needed directions. He made a couple of suggestions and then smiled and apologized for what he feared the Husker were going to do to the Jackrabbits. It was hilarious -- all meant in good fun.

Lots of "nice games!" "good job!" and "your boys played well, hit hard today and gave us a lesson!" and stuff like that throughout the evening after the game. Very friendly people. It felt like everyone was a fan of the same team.

Comment

Game day was good, lots of good fans. Friday night was different we ran into a lot of Husker fans that we didn't enjoy. A lot of unprovoked "we are going to kick your a**", and stuff like that in the Hay Market. My buddy turned to me and said look at them talking tough to the FCS school. We were surprised.

Comment

The only drunken loudmouth I ran into was unfortunately wearing blue. Yelling the Huskers suck and making stupid comments. At one point he tried to relate the Cornhuskers to Muslims. It was just stupid and embarrasing. Thankfully his girlfriend loaded him up and took to the hotel.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I think it's true that this is how Husker fans generally behave. About 12 years ago, Nebraska visited Iowa and about ten UN-L fans somehow ended up behind me and my friends in the Hawkeye student section. They were friendly, cheered for both teams, and complimentary about the Hawks (who were terrible at the time).

I have always remembered that. Quite a difference when compared to Wisconsin fans, for example.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Nebraska people are pretty much the same people who populate South Dakota. I travelled amongst the rural people for nearly 20 years, often the topic of conversation would drift toward the Huskers and their big game last Saturday and/0r the one coming up. It got very redundant and boring at times, but like one person told me the UNL Football program is the only big time thing Nebraska as a state has going for them. You could not argue with that statement. Often I wished SDSU was equivalent to UNL in football. Last Saturday we were.

I have taken time to visit Memorial Staduim when it was empty a couple times, but never attended a game. I kind of regret that now that our guys put on a great show Saturday, but I suppose the cost of tickets and having to sit in the nose bleed section kept me away all those years. I was coached on how to get tickets, but never followed up on that coaching.

The other thing was I was only 240 miles from Brookings a short drive and a football season ticket was under a $100 for many years. With a small donation you got seats on the 50 yard line. That I have enjoyed since 1986, and the crowds have never been overwhelming until recently. Some want to stand on 3rd down and make noise.

Comment

Huskers fans have a well deserved reputation for being friendly, knowledgable and accommodating. Clapping for an opposing player who is hurt as they come off the field or for the opposing team as they leave the stadium is part of the Husker experience.

I think as a fanbase we were treated well because most UNL fans realized what a great opportunity it was for the SDSU program and for the fans to visit Lincoln and a big time program.....plus I'm sure they wanted to show off a little and rightfully so.

I think the best part was that at the beginning we were treated with kindness out of pity......and by the end of the day we were treated with kindness out of respect.

If you want to see the other end of the spectrum....show up in a few weeks wearing your favorite burnt orange Texas shirt, I'm not sure youwill have the same story to tell.

Comment

Working...
                              X