Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Illinois State Game Day Thread

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    Since everyone else has put in their two-cents, I figure I can contribute as well.

Sitting in the press box Saturday night, I noticed a couple of things, good and bad..

First the bad...

1) No sense of urgency... This is the HOME OPENER... it is IMPERATIVE to come out guns a'blazin. It was only when we were down 24-0 that we seemed to gain focus and playing with a sense of urgency. TV said it best, EVERY TEAM in the MVFC has improved this year... we simply cannot be content with resting on our heels thinking the wins will come. We have big honkin' targets on our backs and EVERYONE will be bringing their "A" Game. And if these guys play like they did the first 3 quarters against the Redbirds, it's gonna be a long season.

2) Details, Details, Details... What separates the mediocre teams from the great teams? It's the little things. It's things like knowing the plays, swarming to the ball after the initial hit, making the catches, tackling low and not at the shoulder pads, keeping cool and not making stupid penalties, clock/game management, things like that.

The good

1) O'Brien has a cannon and he was starting to find holes in Illinois State's defense in the second half.

2) When State started to pay attention to those little details in the second half and play with some urgency, they looked good. Scary good. Play that way all four quarters and you're going to win a LOT of games.

We have a good football team... I don't think Stig and his coaches suddenly forgot how to recruit or coach and I don't think we have a drop-off in talent from last year. Granted we lost some key players and we're a little out-of-focus to start the season. But there's no reason why this season can't be salvaged. I think a few tweaks here and there and "locking it in" earlier, we'll have a fantastic season.
    The problem is that even if we "lock it in" we still COULD lose to UNI, SIU, and NDSU. This ISU game was one they had to have and they came out flatter that central South Dakota.

I wonder if the fact that the ISU secondary relaxed a bit had anything to do with the resurgance of the SDSU offense. They were up 24-0 after all.

I am as big a Jacks fans as anyone, but the negatives that I have seen the last two weeks far out weigh the good things that I have been able to spot. We need to get more out of our TEs, and we have to be able to throw over the middle. That is where this team has success and our offense just isn't doing it.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      The problem is that even if we "lock it in" we still lose to UNI, SIU, and NDSU. This ISU game was one they had to have and they came out flatter that central South Dakota.

I wonder if the fact that the ISU secondary relaxed a bit had anything to do with the resurgance of the SDSU offense. They were up 24-0 after all.

I am as big a Jacks fans as anyone, but the negatives that I have seen the last two weeks far out weigh the good things that I have been able to spot. We need to get more out of our TEs, and we have to be able to throw over the middle. That is where this team has success and our offense just isn't doing it.

If you truly believe this than this season is done as far as playoffs go, so you might as well start looking forward to M/WBB. Not saying you're wrong, but I don't feel that SIU, NIU and NDSU are really that much better this year, so far.
      IMO, the MVFC is a medicore conference at best and it's anyone's to win. Only one team will get in the playoffs though from the MVFC...again, IMO.

Did I see ANYTHING that would impress upon me that SDSU will be at the top of the MVFC at the end of it all this year? Not in the first three quarters and I'm not expecting anything to change this Saturday either. But play like they did in the 4th quarter in Cedar Falls, and get a "w" and things will be looking a lot better. If not, we can all just look fwd to our continued dominance of the "humped ones" in Fargo and look to next season. I'm slowly coming to grips with either...sometimes it sucks being a fan, but sometimes it worth every stomach-ache. The past couple of weeks have been tough on all of us, no doubt.

Go Jacks!!

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        If you truly believe this than this season is done as far as playoffs go, so you might as well start looking forward to M/WBB. Not saying you're wrong, but I don't feel that SIU, NIU and NDSU are really that much better this year, so far.
        IMO, the MVFC is a medicore conference at best and it's anyone's to win. Only one team will get in the playoffs though from the MVFC...again, IMO.

Go Jacks!!
        I agree that they aren't that much better, but we are on the road. And we all know that those are tough places to win. I am not giving up on the the season. I really believe that it can go either way. No matter what happens, I will be in my seat in section G cheering the Jacks and having a Nick's burger.

EDIT: It my original post it should have read "We still COULD lose." I better fix that now.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

If I recall correctly,when coach Eidsness was hired in the off season,people here were optimistic that the offense would be opened up and be less predictable. Can we still hope for that,or are we in for more of the same-old same-old ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            If I recall correctly,when coach Eidsness was hired in the off season,people here were optimistic that the offense would be opened up and be less predictable. Can we still hope for that,or are we in for more of the same-old same-old ?
            Meadows still calls the plays

Comment

I realize that,the hope was that some new input might open things up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                I realize that,the hope was that some new input might open things up a bit.
                Its obviously not happening

Comment

Last point, I have little problem with the negative comments as long as they don't lead to a negative attitude about the program. There is no harm in expressing dissatisfaction with a consumer product. Fans pay money, sometimes a lot of it, and expect something in return.

I'd be a lot more unhappy if nobody cared. Like the way it was about 10 short years ago. If you think Stig is happy with the outcome of the first 2 games you haven't been paying attention. So, get angry, lash out a little, express your dissatisfaction but more than all of that, show up and cheer for the team when they take the field. Lift the players and coaches up by expecting a better performance next week. Don't get caught up in "how bad are things going to be next week".
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I haven't read much of this post so most of this has probably been covered. It's sad when you're only 3 plays into the game and you need to call a timeout because you can't figure out what you are doing. There were other times when people didn't know where to line up but that's not good.
                    There were a few drops but 2 of them were by one receiver. The first one should have been an easy catch. That would have got the team in the red zone early in the game. That could have got us up early which could have helped with the fire of the team. The second one turned into an interception.
                    I understand missing a 51 yard FG but missing ones of 34 and 35 yards? You have to get points when you're that far in against good team and hope to win.
                    What do we make of the passing late in the game? Was it just because they were playing soft or was it because we stretched the defense? We had a long pass on the 1st drive that should have been completed. They weren't playing soft at that point of the game. There were a few times when TOB had it sail on him though.
                    I think the passing game was interesting to watch. They put a CB's on our WR's, 1 on 1, several times during the game. We'd normally cheat a safety over to help out our CB. That takes 2 people out of the box for us that are in the box for the other team. Until we can see the 1 on 1 coverage, audible to it and make some plays deep; things could be tough.
                    They just ran it 3 times in a row and let the clock run in the 4th quarter so we can't completely go by that but we did outscore them in the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                      Well I agree strongly with most of the previous comments. One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the lack of composure.
                      First, the BS jawing that took place before the game in the end zone in front of the students. Shut up and do your job, not mouth off to an opponent. That $h!t isn't what Jackrabbit athletics is all about.
                      Second, the roughing the passer penalty followed by the unsportsmanlike penalty. They looked like a bunch of thugs out there instead of being the Jacks, "a team that is going to knock you in the mouth and then help you up" as we have been described before.

Also, I agree about the pre-game stuff. It just felt awkward. What happened to the old band director Petersen? If there has ever been a band homer it is Dr. Kool. Should be interesting to see what happens to the Pride and seating if he is left in charge as the director.

I still love the Jacks and can't wait for the rest of the season. I hope we grow and continue to improve. Had a great time tailgating! Go Jacks!
                      I think the "jawing" had something to do with the band. I really like the band but they were on the field for about the last 20+ minutes before the game. The other team came out of the locker room and was ready to take the field. It seemed like our players didn't want them on the field with the band out there. So there was chirping going on. I didn't see who started it but it went back and forth. I would like to get on the field before the game and get ready not sit in a locker room and come out cold. Didn't the band use to do the halftime show and play during the game, not before it? March under the stands, play the school song and take your seats. I could be old fashion but I like that better that the new band on the field, PA system, etc... before the game.
                      I think they took out the player that roughed the passer and he was replaced by the person that had the unsportsmanlike conduct. That happened the very next play. I don't know if I really agree with the call but then the player that roughed the passer went back in.
                      I heard that the band liked Dr. Kool. They didn't like Petersen so Dr. Kool came back. This is all hear-say so take it for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                        I think the "jawing" had something to do with the band. I really like the band but they were on the field for about the last 20+ minutes before the game. The other team came out of the locker room and was ready to take the field. It seemed like our players didn't want them on the field with the band out there. So there was chirping going on. I didn't see who started it but it went back and forth. I would like to get on the field before the game and get ready not sit in a locker room and come out cold. Didn't the band use to do the halftime show and play during the game, not before it? March under the stands, play the school song and take your seats. I could be old fashion but I like that better that the new band on the field, PA system, etc... before the game.
                        I think they took out the player that roughed the passer and he was replaced by the person that had the unsportsmanlike conduct. That happened the very next play. I don't know if I really agree with the call but then the player that roughed the passer went back in.
                        I heard that the band liked Dr. Kool. They didn't like Petersen so Dr. Kool came back. This is all hear-say so take it for what it's worth.
                        The website still lists Peterson as the Director of the Pride but I did not notice him at the game.

I was in the band for 7 years, best seven years of my life. No I was not a total Loser, I just was a parttime student or out for a spring semester so I was in school longer. With that out of the way. The band loved Mckinney, he could get the band to do anything, we listened when he talked, yet he was one of us. Coull did all the behind the sence stuff, music and marching. They both had unique styles but worked well together. when I was in the band still they brought over the guy from SMU, he had daughters in the band, he was suppose to take over, but the band did not seem right for him. I liked him but he was prolly not the best choice. Thats why Mckinney stated after the rose bowl trip, to make sure they got someone who could lead the band into the D-1 ranks of awesomeness. From day 1 I never heard much praise about Petersen, maybe the band was still wanting a Mckinney type feel for it, but it was not the same.

I did not get the intro with the school song broken up between moving into position, it sounded off. The pregame was fine, but I miss hearing the band march in under the stadium and playing in the stands before the game. Anything the band could play would be better then the stupid commercials and radio stuff they have now. I think I will be sending a letter to those in charge, explain some of the traditions that made the band what it is. To start new traditions is not the same as honoring old ones. starting new is not a tradition, its a fad, it takes years and years of doing the same thing, thats what the band use to have.

The pregame feel was lame, like the whole wheres the rabbit intro? Why not have him show up on the top of the DSC and repel down to show of the building, or get some hype. The football song was awful, the highlights were ok, but can they please show that before the team is completley huddled outside. Let the band play something to warm up before the school song to get the crowd into it, not to silence them like what happened.
                        Last edited by goon; 09-20-2010, 03:44 PM. Reason: addition
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My opinion, the intro video immediately precedes the team entering the field. The team enters the field with the band cranking out the school song lead by the big flags and the rabbit (on a Harley would be great). Throw in some big bell tones right before the band starts or preceding the intro video. Need a better song for the intro video.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                          X