Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would you like to see the Jacks play in the future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who would you like to see the Jacks play in the future?

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
    I am REALLY surprised no one has mentioned USD here I am going to put them on a list to head off the predictable "what're you afraid of" comments.

1. Wyoming
    2-3. Both of the directional Michigans (Eastern, Western, etc.)
    4. Minnesota
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Iowa.
    7. Montana (but only on a home and home)
    8. Montana State
    9. Colorado
    10. Iowa State
    Got to love playing a team that sounds like a bird EMU (Eastern Michigan Univ) that plays in Ypsi and WMU that plays in K-zoo. I believe Ron English is the coach at EMU.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      I don't think the money is very good with the MAC schools, and I don't think they're keen on inviting a school that has a legitimate chance of beating them.

After NDSU dismantled CMU(?) and beat Ball State, I think the Dakota schools are *both* off the MAC wish list.
      Ridng Bison coattails?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
        Ridng Bison coattails?
        Umm how? In case you haven't noticed, we have beaten NDSU the last three years, including the year they beat CMU.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
          Ridng Bison coattails?

Who's smarter? The horse or the man that rides it?

NDSU beat CMU, SDSU beat NDSU and then beat NDSU and then beat NDSU again.

All the MAC teams got to do at this point is look at the Sagarin ratings over the past few years and realize that they're better off helping to finance the shame of Dixie (woefully underfunded HBCUs), then trying to notch a win over a school that is probably considered a fellow 'directional normal' by a few of the people that go to EMU games because they're cheaper than going to the U of M games 6 miles down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            Who's smarter? The horse or the man that rides it?
            Is that why some people on here (you know who you are) get so angry about USD 'copying' SDSU?

*ducks*

OT: I would love to see a game against USD. I would be very much conflicted.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
              Is that why some people on here (you know who you are) get so angry about USD 'copying' SDSU?

*ducks*

OT: I would love to see a game against USD. I would be very much conflicted.
              No I am not angry about USD copying SDSU. You, and since you admit having USD ties were probably one of those who callled foul when SDSU went D1. I guess you have a short memory, it seems SDSU was accused of breaking up the wonderful NCC by going D1. Who is smarter the horse or the rider? If Dr Miller and Dr Oien are the riders, we do have to give them credit for creating a pattern for USD to follow.

If copying SDSU gets the job done, so be it. btw, I would like to see USD added to the football schedule.

Comment

Top of CAA is nice to see. However, I'd like the Jacks to start lining up 2 fer 1 or even home/home with Southland and OVC schools.

I'd like to see MAC/Sunbelt/C-USA schools paying 500K, and have a semi-decent chance at a win, along with the payday.

Great job at lining up the Regional Big 10/12 teams.

Montana - In Brookings only.
                MT St. - Home/Home? Starting in Brookings.

If Jacks want to continue with their TOUGH scheduling, then App. St., McNeese, most of the CAA south for 1 game per season max. Need to get more of the NW St, Tx ST., Nichols St., TN Tech, SEMO coming to Brookings for start of home/homes.

Would enjoy playing a S_SU home/home with the Bulldogs. They may be HBCU, but they'll break through soon. Just need to quit getting sent to App ST in the first round. Unfortunately, SCSU is like SDSU is to MT. The closest non-conference opponent.

A lot of gnashing of teeth around here about playing our old NCC foes, but I'd like to see them on a steady basis. UNC, UND, USD, NDSU, UNI - long history with each of these schools, and been some great games played, and I'd anticipate the future games will be good games again.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  You, and since you admit having USD ties were probably one of those who callled foul when SDSU went D1.
                  I have no idea. I was 14, so probably. I did lots of stupid things when I was 14. Like Nickelback. Ewwww.

btw, I would like to see USD added to the football schedule.
                  Good. I'm sure it will happen within 5 years. It's becoming somewhat inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                    I have no idea. I was 14, so probably. I did lots of stupid things when I was 14. Like Nickelback. Ewwww.

Good. I'm sure it will happen within 5 years. It's becoming somewhat inevitable.
                    I keep forgetting that I am quarrelling with a child.

Comment

I know that we are talking about guarantee games, but I would much rather see the Jacks play the top tier FCS schools. Much like they are doing this year with Delaware.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

This isn't the smack section and I never intended to make it that. If you look at my first post (quoting zoopora), and you read zooporas quote, it does make it sound like you are riding their coattails because he says NDSU beat Central Michigan so they wouldn't want to play us because we beat NDSU the same year the Bison beat CMU.

Now I have been on here long enough to know the depth of your pride for your school and that's good. You are proud and should be proud. Last year in football you had a great year. But you have to admit zooporas comments made it sound like since NDSU won then they wouldn't want to play us either????

Now we all know that isn't a valid argument, comparitive scores. Or is it? Cal-Poly in 2009 USD wins, SDSU loses? I think comparables are no good and at best a reference point.

I'm like you all, I no longer give 2 craps whether we play each other in football anyway. If the time came where both schools qualified for the post season, you can bet the farm (your advantage) the first round game would be SDSU vs. USD.

I am somewhat surprised you want to go to Deleware, Ap State, and places like that on a regular basis. Economically makes no sense. Sure, it sounds fun to play the best of FCS, but in all reality, there isn't the hint of rivalry among them. I think your best bet, like ours, is to play lower level BCS teams and have a chance to knock them off. Minnesota, Kansas, Iowa State, Northwestern, and teams like that. They provide a great revenue stream and yet there is a chance you can win, which you almost did at Minnesota.

Those are the kinds of wins that you and other alumni will talk about for years. When David knocks off Goliath.

I hope you have a good season. I still hold open the invite and idea of people on this board going to a game at Brookings together, and at USD together. My offer still stands.

Good luck Jacks this season.

Comment

I keep forgetting that I am quarrelling with a child.
                          Ha. Says the guy who sent me a PM cause he was sad I implied he was an idiot. *tear*

Sorry for the hijack everyone.

I agree with SoDakJack. I would much rather see us play mid-level to upper-level FCS teams than FBS teams, but I know that isn't always feasible. I don't mind playing FBS teams (and the payout and exposure that comes with it) but I would rather see how SDSU stacks up against the top FCS teams. My knowledge of the top FCS teams is extremely limited so it would be cool to learn more about teams outside of the MVC.

Comment

I don't have specific teams but I think we must play at least one game a year out of our geographic region. We didn't move to DI with a plan to act like were from a lower division and we only play local teams. The DI move is largely about national recognition in athletics and academics. If you don't play outside of your region you don't get that exposure.

I like the relationship cultivated with the SLC and the west coast GWFC teams. I think those are good starting points. We haven't had much success getting Big Sky teams into Brookings so I'm not excited to pursue them. I don't think our odds are very good when it comes to CAA teams either. No idea if any of the Ivy league schools would consider coming here.

I hope we don't have to further limit our options to play a more "national" schedule but if we do it is nice to have the option to play more local FCS or FBS games. Again, I've been very impressed with scheduling the last several years and have no complaints about the precedent that has been set.

If you can't tell, I don't share the thought that we'd be better off if the NCC had all moved to DI. I think the reasons that didn't happen are being validated on a daily basis and I will not be surprised when more announcements regarding shifts in divisions and conferences occur in the near future. SDSU is different than SCSU, UNO, Augie, Northern, USF, etc.. SDSU is a division I institution.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

rabidrabbit mentioned Texas St.

I know they came up here a couple years ago and we trounced them.

I don't recall us ever playing them there. I could look it up for myself, but it's late and I'm lazy. Maybe start a new home/home with them?

I previously mentioned McNeese...I concur with rabid, I'd be all for starting something again with the Southland Conference.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

We went down to Texas St. the year before they came to Brookings and got our tails kicked.

I would like to see some more games with Southland teams as well. Mainly because we usually beat them!

Comment

Working...
                                X