Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There's no crying in football!

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    I guess I'll answer my own question. Looks like the Northeast and Big South conference champs will now get auto berths starting this year. Included in this article on USA today.
    NEC has a limit on scholarships to 24?, but they are D-I, and they do have the 6 schools, playing together.

Big South was in the same situation as Great West, but 3 years ago, added D-II move up Presbyterian, then added Stony Brook (shifted from NEC, because wanted to go to the 63 schollies).

Be aware that the non-schollie league, Pioneer is also eligible, and with no other post season opportunities for the Pioneer, they are likely to request opportunity in the play-offs.

It would be very good to go to 24 teams from the 20 with the next shift, so if the Great West/Summit could field a league (get the Great West to 6-8 teams) that would be the ideal situation from the NCAA selection process POV.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
      NEC has a limit on scholarships to 24?, but they are D-I, and they do have the 6 schools, playing together.

Big South was in the same situation as Great West, but 3 years ago, added D-II move up Presbyterian, then added Stony Brook (shifted from NEC, because wanted to go to the 63 schollies).

Be aware that the non-schollie league, Pioneer is also eligible, and with no other post season opportunities for the Pioneer, they are likely to request opportunity in the play-offs.

It would be very good to go to 24 teams from the 20 with the next shift, so if the Great West/Summit could field a league (get the Great West to 6-8 teams) that would be the ideal situation from the NCAA selection process POV.
      Personally I think that if the Pioneer gets to have an autoberth it will make the FCS look like a joke. All that goofy league is is an excuse for teams like Butler to still have a DI basketball team and a DIII football team at the same time, which is all well and good, but it waters down the FCS ranks so much. I believe that they lost more than one DII game last year as a league didn't they? I could be wrong but I believe I remember reading that. If they are allowed into the playoffs they would be beaten so badly that it would make the #1 seed vs #16 seed in march madness seem like a close matchup if they had to play us or a UNI or Montana/App St.
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
        Would winning at Nebraska help our playoff chances if we lose at Delaware
        Let's put it this way - if the Jacks are capable of beating the preseason #8 in the FBS (Nebraska) then there should have been no loss to the preseason #15 in the FCS (Delaware).
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
          Comment From LarryCurlyMoeLarryCurlyMoe: ] Realistically, this team cannot make the playoffs with a loss at Delaware, correct?

It's questions like these that drive me up a wall on the AL chat. Seriously? Is he waiting on buying his season tickets in case they lose to Delaware? Or are we forfeiting all games after Delaware if we lose?
          This attitude is the reason i started the thread.

Where did this come from? I don't see anything wrong with raising the question given the road schedule the Jacks have this year and the likelihood that it will be tough to avoid two or three conference losses as a result. Getting to seven is going to be hard and a loss to a team likely to be on the cusp of playoff contention is a double whammy.... You can argue the point without impugning someone's intentions.

Comment

Sorry I didn't name the 2 conferences that now get an auto birth starting this year. As pointed out on the fcs site,{which I find to be a great read throughout the year} they are the Northeast and Big South conferences.
            Looks like there will be 4 playin games for the teams ranked 13 through 20 and the winners of those games will be matched up with the top 12 seeds which had drawn byes. Not sure I agree with the logic of that decision but it is sure to add even more controversy to the selection process. Oh well who am I but a crazed lonely Blue Hen fan on a great Jacks fan board

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
              Where did this come from? I don't see anything wrong with raising the question given the road schedule the Jacks have this year and the likelihood that it will be tough to avoid two or three conference losses as a result. Getting to seven is going to be hard and a loss to a team likely to be on the cusp of playoff contention is a double whammy.... You can argue the point without impugning someone's intentions.
              The question basically says if we lose at Delaware, that we don't make the playoffs. If you don't see anything wrong with it, that's fine. But I do. Essentially it says our whole season hinges on the 1st game because we can't possible win another 7 or 8? It's a defeatist attitude, and I don't like it. So yeah I'm going to call crap like that out. So if I've impugned, I've impugned, not like it's the 1st time that's went on around here.
              It's my whole point about everyone raising the schedule to be some insurmountable task. My point is the other teams should be more worried about a good Jacks team going to their house. Instead of so many of us worrying about the schedule, as has been the case since it rolled out. Doesn't matter if Nebraska is on the schedule or not, most people have chalked those FBS games as losses since we started playing them(even MN most people didn't think we had a chance against).

"Realistically" if we were to lose to Delaware and Nebraska. To me it seems no one has analyzed the schedule, they just look at Neb and say "geez this is tough" Well it still only counts as one loss. We want to beat Delaware for playoff position more than playoff berth.
              7 Wins: ISU,ISU, MSU, YSU, WIU, NDSU, UND;
              8 Wins: A win over UNI or SIU
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
              X