Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kansas in 2012

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    Maybe KULawguy has heard but does anybody know who Kansas is pursuing for the head coaching position?

I was kind of hoping they'd poach Coach Bohl out of NDSU. I'm sure they know who he is since his FCS squad beat Kansas last year and he should have some Big 12 ties from his Nebraska days.
    Bohl did not get a good send off when he left Nebraska. Thats all I will say.

Comment

Charlie Weis will be announced as the new Kansas head coach tomorrow.

Rumor going around is that he wants former Notre Dame starting quarterback Dayne Crist.

One thing is for sure, SDSU will be at a "decided schematic" disadvantage when they take on the Jayhawks.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
        Charlie Weis will be announced as the new Kansas head coach tomorrow.

Rumor going around is that he wants former Notre Dame starting quarterback Dayne Crist.

One thing is for sure, SDSU will be at a "decided schematic" disadvantage when they take on the Jayhawks.
        I think its interesting hire. I liked Weis, I think if he is a place where he can get a staff in place and stick with it he will be alright. I think at ND the problem was he was never able to get a good staff, the people up above were pressuring him to fire staff before they could get their feet in. Was never able to recruit on defense. But if he can get a good recruiter as an assistant and an established DC I think he could work out at Kansas

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          I think its interesting hire. I liked Weis, I think if he is a place where he can get a staff in place and stick with it he will be alright. I think at ND the problem was he was never able to get a good staff, the people up above were pressuring him to fire staff before they could get their feet in. Was never able to recruit on defense. But if he can get a good recruiter as an assistant and an established DC I think he could work out at Kansas
          Disagree with a lot of that. How come Brian Kelly could keep his staff on board but Weis couldn't? If Weis was feeling the pressure about his staff, you would think Kelly was too. For the most part, Weis doesn't help kids improve. Sure he did some nice things with Claussen but his defenses were horrendous because he never developed them. The didn't get better under him. Case in point is Brian Smith. His three years under Weis, he didn't do anything and got a lot better under Kelly as the season progressed.

Weis can recruit, he can't coach kids up. I give him a couple years at Kansas and he will be out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
            Disagree with a lot of that. How come Brian Kelly could keep his staff on board but Weis couldn't? If Weis was feeling the pressure about his staff, you would think Kelly was too. For the most part, Weis doesn't help kids improve. Sure he did some nice things with Claussen but his defenses were horrendous because he never developed them. The didn't get better under him. Case in point is Brian Smith. His three years under Weis, he didn't do anything and got a lot better under Kelly as the season progressed.

Weis can recruit, he can't coach kids up. I give him a couple years at Kansas and he will be out the door.
            Defense and improvings kids on defense has everything to do with the DC and not an offensive guru for a head coach hence what joeboo22 was talking about having a good DC. Do you really think Weis would help defenders improve? Because I sure don't. Look at offense. Helped Brady Quinn to a BCS bowl, did good things with Jimmy Clausen, Kyle Rudolph and Michael Floyd
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Charlie Weis is built for the NFL, not college.

A college athlete is also a student, so the time you get to spend with them as a coach is much less than someone who is paid to do nothing other than play football. Weis used up too much of this time trying to teach the kids the scheme, and not enough on developing their fundamentals, technique, and execution.

Also, to say he doesn't have anything to do with player development on the defense end is crazy. As a head coach he hires the coordinators/position coaches and he manages the practices.

Here is a good article about the differences between Brian Kelly and Charlie Weis when the coaching change was made:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ish/index.html

Unless Charlie learned from his mistakes (which I doubt this being how arrogant he is), Kansas made a horrible hire.
              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

I'm sure Kansas will be up next year, since we play them...that seems to be how it goes.

NDSU and USD get Minnesota in years when they're down (UofM was 1-11 in '07, they year NDSU beat them, 3-9 in '10 the year USD beat them, and 3-9 this year when NDSU beat them again, Kansas was 3-9 the year NDSU beat them).

In contrast, UofM finished 6-6 (an "up" year) in '09, the year we played them.

Wish we could have the Iowa State game back...they finished 2-10 that year.

Yes, I'm bitter and jealous of FBS wins.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  Charlie Weis is built for the all you can eat buffets, not college.
                  Fixed.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    Fixed.
                    I'd laugh, but I'm ADDICTED to Pizza Hut lunch buffet.
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                      I'd laugh, but I'm ADDICTED to Pizza Hut lunch buffet.
                      Stuffed Crust lunch buffet on Mondays

Comment

If Charlie Weis was the answer, what was the question?

Think about it: If you're trying to build a good football program, why hire Weis? Other, better, choices abound.

And if you really don't care about the program, why hire Weis? Other, cheaper, choices abound.

Frankly, if it's come to hiring Charlie Weis, Kansas should consider shuttering their football program, because they obviously have no idea what to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                          If Charlie Weis was the answer, what was the question?

Think about it: If you're trying to build a good football program, why hire Weis? Other, better, choices abound.

And if you really don't care about the program, why hire Weis? Other, cheaper, choices abound.

Frankly, if it's come to hiring Charlie Weis, Kansas should consider shuttering their football program, because they obviously have no idea what to do with it.
                          I'm sure money had something to do with it. They owed Gill a ton of money with the buyout.

Comment

I think Weis can win with a program. He was given one chance and failed, but I don't necessarily believe that means he can never put together a successful program.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              I'm sure money had something to do with it. They owed Gill a ton of money with the buyout.
                              Then don't fire Gill. It's not like Weis is going to do anything the next two years.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                I think Weis can win with a program. He was given one chance and failed, but I don't necessarily believe that means he can never put together a successful program.
                                If Weis couldn't win at Notre Dame, how on EARTH is he going to win at Kansas?

I mean what did they do at the interview? "Hey Charlie. Mangino left a bunch of track suits. If they fit, the job is yours."

Or did it go something like this?

"Okay we know you only finished half a dozen games above .500 at the most widely known football school in the as yet explored universe. What's your plan for winning at Kansas?"

"I'm going to take your money and stand on the sidelines and yell."

"Uh, that's all that Mangino and Gill did."

"Yeah, well one of them got you to a BCS bowl."

"Hmmmm.... You're right. Do you think you can yell and browbeat as well as Mangino? Because he was a big oaf, but he did have that one good season."

"I can make Mangino look like Sherry Lewis and Lambchop. And I guarantee you that there'll be one surprise year, and at the end of that year, you'll sign me to a ridiculous extension and I can suck, get fired, and live off the unjustified generosity of your boosters for the rest of my life. Might even buy me a thighmaster. Wait. Did I say that or just think it?"

Comment

Working...
                                X