Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argument for New Indoor Facility

An argument for a new indoor track:
    Point 1: Bringing the bucks to SDSU and Brookings. This link below has the attendance of the Jacks last regular season meet at Nebraska. The number is 1,553. This meet started at noon and went until about 9 p.m. I don’t know about you but I like eating every 3-4 hours. 9 would be a test for me. The athletes and spectators would purchase food at the concessions stand, drive to a Brookings restaurant or at least go to Hy-Vee and pick up a loaf of bread and sandwich meat. In any case it is money spent in Brookings. Many track meets are two days and some even last for three days. Schools that come from 2+ hours aren’t going to drive home and come back in the morning. They are going to get a hotel in Brookings. Jacks track puts 2 people in each hotel room. So if 10 teams come to a meet hosted by the jacks and have 40 people per team that is 400 people or 200 hotel rooms. These numbers are modest. Meets hosted by Iowa State with a similar track as is planned here have had more than 100 teams. Meet entry fees also bring in the cash. I have heard of 20 dollars per individual or up to 1000 dollars per team. The cost of running the meet will be covered and a profit will be made. If the jacks build a 300 meter indoor track teams will come to meets that we host.
    http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...&DB_OEM_ID=100
    Point 2: Money saved for the Athletic Dept. Track meets are expensive. Athletes must be fed and housed, entry fees must be paid, and transportation costs are high. If we don’t travel to other meets we save a lot of money. The link below is the Iowa State schedule. They don’t leave Ames for the indoor season until the national meet. Even the big 12’s are hosted there this year. The Jacks would probably still have to travel once in the regular season to a meet like the ISU classic to find the best competition and also to conference. However, we would stay in Brookings for 5-6 meets that we would typically travel to. That’s a lot of money that could be used for equipment upgrades, coaches salaries, athlete scholarships, etc.
    http://www.cyclones.com/SportSelect....26&SPSID=94169
    Point 3: Track teams would become much better. A reason that SDSU loses recruits to other universities in the area (Mankato, USD, NDSU mainly) is our lack of training facilities. Although our outdoor track is located at Brookings High School we are still thankful for it. Training in Frost or “the D” as it is affectionately called is rough and even impossible at times. SDSU sprinters can only run 150 meter intervals because they would hurt themselves going around the corner at a high speed. SDSU has poor pole vault and indoor throwing practice areas which aren’t even located near the HPER. We also have no long jump and triple jump practice areas. The distance team also practices in Frost for “track” workouts. The corners have been the cause of stress fractures and overuse injuries for years. A facility with less and gentler corners would reduce these injuries and make them rare occurrences. Also, due to Brookings having poor road care the distance team has to run inside for daily runs occasionally. Running on treadmill more than once a week can cause mental distress to a runner. Overall, a new facility would enable SDSU to recruit many more athletes and better develop the ones we do have.
    Point 4: The proposed 300 meter indoor facility will benefit most other sports at the university. Brookings winters are not conducive to any sport practices unless we start a Nordic ski team. As of now the track, baseball, soccer, softball, basketball, cheerleading, dance and wrestling teams use the HPER on a daily basis. The new indoor facility is going to be similar to one at Akron University. The link below is a picture of Akron’s facility. It will have an 80 yard football field with end zones in the middle. The facility is much larger than the Frost and will hold multiple practices at a time. Also, other sports are limited as to what they can do in the frost. The football team can only lift weights and do drills that don’t take up much space. On an 80 yard practice field the possibilities are endless. The new facility would also be able to house locker rooms for sports that don’t currently have them.
    http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/...ry/440090.jpeg
    Other than costing about 18 million dollars are there any downsides? I would say it would be a good investment to the city and university. Maybe better for the city than Swiftel expansions?

Re: Argument for New Indoor Facility

My understanding is the Akron facility is popular with the athletic department.

Comment

Thread drift alert, teaser as well.

Spoke to an individual from the athletic department at Udot last night. He said there are absolutely no concrete plans for a basketball only facility (pun intended). A group from the U is out in Syracuse right now looking at the Carrier Dome. The current plan is to expand the dome to better accommodate all sports. The way he said it is the would "blow the ass end out" and expand. Not sure what end that is.

Anyhow, I think an indoor field house and track should be a priority for SDSU. There are a lot of priorities however.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        "blow the ass end [of the dome] out"....
        So many jokes... must resist temptation to smack in non-smack thread...
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I believe the fieldhouse has to be the #1 as it will have the broadest impact on the athletic program. Would not be much fun practicing outside in December for the National FCS Championship which will now be played in January

Comment

It seems like everyone here is in agreement that a fieldhouse and that it would help all the sports teams...of course this is just preaching to the choir as the only real bump preventing this from happening is $18 million and right now that seems like more of a mountain than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by THEjackrabbit View Post
              It seems like everyone here is in agreement that a fieldhouse and that it would help all the sports teams...of course this is just preaching to the choir as the only real bump preventing this from happening is $18 million and right now that seems like more of a mountain than anything.
              I've made a number of posts on this subject and won't repeat why I think the Indoor Facility is the #1 need...but I know the department has some strong feelings on this as well, and they aren't sitting on their buns just wishing for it. I've seen the Akron facility and it is just great, and ours would look a lot like it. Keep your fingers crossed!

Comment

Day two of the Summit League indoor championships is a pretty solid argument for an indoor facility.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  Day two of the Summit League indoor championships is a pretty solid argument for an indoor facility.
                  Because the only indoor track in the conference is the BSA and it felt about 90 degrees in there?

Comment

Originally posted by jacksdistance View Post
                    Because the only indoor track in the conference is the BSA and it felt about 90 degrees in there?
                    Well, not exactly.........

But because the team is basically forfeiting a decent showing at the indoor meets most years due to poor facilities.

Comment

True, but even with new facilities it will still take a few years for the effects to be seen. We also redshirted a lot of scoring athletes this year (Mike Krsnak, Ben Jasinski, Sean Burns, Jake Schneller).

Comment

NDSU is looking at building an indoor track facility for $4.5-5 million, so I guess that is the going rate. I believe UND is looking at doing something a bit more elaborate, $20 million for an indoor track/football practice facility.

Comment

I can't imagine 5 mil would get too far. Plans for our new track are estimated at 18 million. I understand this includes the football practice field and overall larger building. If the Bison are going to build a new one I say go big or go home- 300m or 200m banked! At least something nicer than the BSA.

Comment

I can't imagine 5 mil would get too far. Plans for our new track are estimated at 18 million. I understand this includes the football practice field and overall larger building. If the Bison are going to build a new one I say go big or go home- 300m or 200m banked! At least something nicer than the BSA.
                            It will have a banked 200m track and some seats(enough to hold the indoor tournament). I am guessing it would be connected to the BSA though, which will be turned into a basketball only facility. In total it will cost 32 million to get it all done, I have heard the BSA won't even be recognizable when they are finished.

I would like to do something like UND is doing, it sounds like what they are trying to build will be first class. Of course we need a new basketball arena more than we need a football practice facility.

Comment

Like FargoBison said, the proposed facility at NDSU would be track only. Well, baseball and softball would have some space, but no football or soccer. That's why the difference in prices between our proposal and yours. If this all happens, the most cost-effective solution to give NDSU indoor FB & soccer space would be to put an inflatable bubble over the recently re-turfed Dacotah Field. (Right between this proposed facility and the BSA.)

BTW, does anyone know the overall width and length dimensions of a standard 200m track? I'm curious to see how big the building would be. I assume it's somewhere in the area of 300ft by 200ft, but that's just a guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X