Track and Field recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Track and Field recruits

Since everybody seems to be confused on the scholarship this is how it goes. (I think).... If he would play basketball and Track it would count against boths number, where the money comes from (Basketball fund, or Track Fund) doesn't really matter.... Its the same amount of money if he plays either or/or both, it just counts as 2 in D-1 sports, however the actual money would probably be split or would be took from the sport which is in better finacial condition at the time.....

Comment

It looks to me like the recent posters have encountered the phenomenon of "violent agreement" wherein the conversationalists are saying essentially the same thing, but also indicate that they think that the other person just must be wrong somehow.

I'm just sayin' . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Vlastuin released from basketball scholarship:

http://argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll...28/1002/SPORTS

Says nothing about where he is going, but apparently him leaving Drake is official.

Comment

How about I put one fragment of this argument to bed?
          15.5.8 Multi-Sport Participants.
          15.5.8.2 Basketball. A counter who practices or competes in basketball and one or more other sports (other than football) shall be counted in basketball.
          There is an exception, but it wouldn't apply in this case because the student-athlete will be new to SDSU.

15.5.8.6 Two-Year Exception. If an individual has participated in a sport other than basketball, field hockey or women’s volleyball for two years or more since the individual’s initial collegiate enrollment and would be involved only in basketball, field hockey or women’s volleyball practice sessions, such a student would not become a counter in those sports until the student actually competes as a member of that institution’s intercollegiate team, at either the varsity or junior varsity level.
          edit: I take a bit of that back. If the coaches and AD wanted to push the line, they could make use of this bylaw:

15.5.9 Changes in Participation. If a student-athlete changes sports during an academic year, the student-athlete’s financial aid shall be counted in the maximum limitations for the first sport for the remainder of the academic year. If the student-athlete continues to receive financial aid, the award shall be counted the next academic year against the maximum limitations in the second sport. A student-athlete shall be counted as an initial counter in football during the year in which the student-athlete first becomes countable in that sport, regardless of whether countable financial aid was received previously for another sport.
          However, since the basketball season begins long before the T&F season, justifying the switch would be risky. I don't think anybody wants the basketball team to face NCAA sanctions less than a year after becoming fully DI.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post

However, since the basketball season begins long before the T&F season, justifying the switch would be risky. I don't think anybody wants the basketball team to face NCAA sanctions less than a year after becoming fully DI.
            track season actually officially begins in late september with the first competitions being in december...I'm not sure when the basketball season officially begins but I can't imagine it's much earlier than that.

Comment

Originally posted by U_Dont_Know_Jack View Post
              track season actually officially begins in late september with the first competitions being in december...I'm not sure when the basketball season officially begins but I can't imagine it's much earlier than that.
              You're correct; I should've checked the playing season section of the manual before writing that. T&F may begin practice as early as Sep 7(or the first day of classes, whichever comes first) while basketball can't begin until Oct 17. T&F's season can be broken up into two segments which cannot total more than 156 days, not counting certain excepted days. That also doesn't include the cross country season which may begin 21 "units" before the first scheduled compitition(which itself can't begin before Sep 1 or the previous Fri if Sep 1 falls on a Sat/Sun/Mon).

I still don't think starting T&F and then switching to basketball within the same season would work or else other schools would be doing it. But I'm far from an expert on the subject, so take it for what it's worth.

Comment

It is official - Vlastuin to SDSU for Track and Field only.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...DATES/80627049

Comment

The Jacks have announced 8 new members of the track and field teams.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...ATCLID=1504278

Comment

The backbone of a good track team is a stable of 400-meter runners...some run shorter races up to the 400 and others run longer but can drop down to the 400. It looks like Coach Dehaven has picked up some 400-meter runners including the tested Cole Tucker transferring in from Colorado State.

Luke Leischner's dad sprinted and jumped for the Jackrabbits in the early 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      The backbone of a good track team is a stable of 400-meter runners...some run shorter races up to the 400 and others run longer but can drop down to the 400. It looks like Coach Dehaven has picked up some 400-meter runners including the tested Cole Tucker transferring in from Colorado State.

Luke Leischner's dad sprinted and jumped for the Jackrabbits in the early 70s.
                      That's interesting. Is the theory that 400 runners can translate into both good sprinters and good medium long distance runners (800 & 1600)? I know nothing about track except that I was very (below) average at it.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                        That's interesting. Is the theory that 400 runners can translate into both good sprinters and good medium long distance runners (800 & 1600)? I know nothing about track except that I was very (below) average at it.
                        I think a team has to have several athletes who are quality 400 runners. Some of the athletes a primarily 400 runners but others may concentrate on a different event but can still run a good 400 (e.g. some jumpers, many short sprinters, many middle-distance runners). Successful teams have several good alternates for their 4 x 400 teams. SDSU's recruiting brings a core group of guys who can run the 400. Watch things happen.

Comment

Working...
                        X