Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ROD DEHAVEN WILL BE NEXT SDSU TRACK & CC C

JackJD:

Thanks so much for your comments about track and field. Being a one time participant gives you a very good insight.  I being strictly a fan that likes tax deductions from contributing to the Jackrabbit Club have not paid as much attention to track and field. Often I only see the point standings after the NCC or a Regional meet and see that SDSU has not finished high for a long time.

Your explanation was very clear to me and makes a lot of sense.

At the same time I can see the position of the Admin in allowing one sport for each athlete. I think the big reason that this policy was implemented was the amount of time that the student athlete has to put into each sport.  Each varsity sport is becoming more and more sophsicated and requires off season training and takes time away from academic studies.  The days of  Wayne Rassumussen and Doug Peterson are probably over. These two athletes participated in Football Baseball and basketball  while at SDSU in the early to mid 1960's.  This one sport restriction policy is too rigid and needs to be reconsidered by the Admin at SDSU.

Pete Retzlaff racked up a lot of points in the weight events at the 1953 NAIA meet.  We would not have that NC trophy if Pete had been limited to football. I was in a group conversation once where Pete told about being in a play at SDSU.  The drama scene required a wine bottle sitting on a table. Pete said that Coach Ginn was disturbed about his part in the play and being near a win bottle.  So Coach Ginn was more worried about wholesome images than whether Retzlaff participated in track.

Back in the old days some of the coaches such as Jim Emmerich doubled as assistants in football and that did make the dual participation possible.  Maybe we need to go back to that duel role for coaches at least for recruiting purposes.

I think there are exceptions that could be made to this policy and football-track and field would be most obvious one.  Timewise football players are spending it conditioning anyway and why not in a competitive setting?

As far as football recruiting under Coach Stig, I dont recall any one being recruited for football and track and maybe thats one of the things that needs to be addressed in the football program. We can always use speed at all positions in football.

You are right Frank BLaylark is about the last football/track athlete we have seen.

Lastly I think are track facilities are very much in need of upgrade. Old State Field now Sexauer Field needs to either be abandoned or rebuilt to a state of art facility.
    It would not hurt to have fan seating so that when a meet is hosted, fans show up.  Also indoors we are also in big trouble there too so we got lots of challenges ahead of us in our sports.

Comment

An Argus Leader story today indicates that Rod will indeed be the next head coach for cross country and track and field at SDSU.

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/We...article1.shtml

A news conference is scheduled for 11 am in Brookings today for the official announcement.

Rod is the first head coach hired since moving to D-I. If he is an example of the quality we can attract, we will be in good shape in D-I!

Go Jacks!

Comment

DeHaven is a great hire. He's connected with the program, knows the returning runners and is great friends with Coach Danger.

Comment

Could not agree more with your comments JBNJBQ. It looks like some of the other coaching openings are going to be filled soon. All good news despite the other story in the Argus this morning.

Comment

From the AP:

DeHaven takes over SDSU job
            The Associated Press

published: 6/30/2004

BROOKINGS, S.D. (AP) - Rod DeHaven, who won 20 individual conference titles at South Dakota State University, will return to coach the school's cross-country and track teams in its new NCAA Division I status.

The 1989 SDSU graduate, currently a business systems analyst in Madison, Wis., begins his new duties July 19. He succeeds Paul Danger, who resigned after six years.

DeHaven's accomplishments in the North Central Conference include four cross-country titles and eight titles each in indoor and outdoor track. He won seven conference 1,500 meter titles and was the NCAA Division II national 1,500 meter champion in 1985.

DeHaven, 37, ran the marathon in the 2000 Olympics but finished 69th after battling dehydration and gastrointestinal problems.

We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yet another story from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Th...article1.shtml

DeHaven excited by opportunity at SDSU
              By Sam Burrish
              Argus Leader

published: 7/1/2004

Former Jackrabbit standout put in charge of school's track and cross country programs

BROOKINGS - It took an injury for Rod DeHaven to discover what direction he wanted to take his life.

It turns out, the long-distance standout is coming home.

A former Olympian and Huron native, DeHaven was named coordinator and head coach for South Dakota State University's men's and women's track and cross-country programs Wednesday.

The appointment is effective July 19, pending approval by the South Dakota Board of Regents.

DeHaven's appointment adds a big name to the coaching lineup, and the university hopes to lure others like him, as they make the transition to Division I.

"(DeHaven) is so ingrained in the track and field community of this country that it is still the first love of his, and this gave him the opportunity (to fulfill it)," SDSU athletic director Fred Oien said.

A 1989 SDSU grad, DeHaven hurt a knee while competing in a Labor Day race last September in New Haven, Conn. The leg has not been the same since.

"Competitively, I'm essentially done," he said.

With his passion in limbo, DeHaven started to think about what really mattered in life.

That's what prompted him to leave his business systems analysis job in Madison, Wis., and replant his South Dakota roots.   .   .

Now that his days of competitive racing are likely over, DeH aven's focus now is on preparing for the new competition during the probationary period, while helping make SDSU synonymous with athletics.

"(I've got) to guard and enhance the tradition of a strong cross-country team and ... strong individuals in track," DeHaven said.

SDSU won't become eligible to compete for a Division I championship until the 2008-09 academic year.

DeHaven doesn't see that fact as a deterrent for students who might otherwise attend a DII or other DI school for a championship opportunity.

"We're going to be traveling to places that are just as exotic, or more, than the Division II National Meet could offer," he said.

"We'll be creative to provide opportunities for athletes." .  .  .

Congrats to Rod and good luck!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
              X