Summit Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit Tourney

OK, if I have this figured out right (probably my first mistake), WIU must take 2 of 3 from the Gents for the possibility of Centenary not making the league tourney to still exist heading into the final weekend. Centenary is currently is 13-6, while IPFW is 11-13. Assuming the Gents get 2 of 3 from WIU, they would head into the final weekend at 15-6, SUU is at 11-12 and IPFW 11-13. If SUU & IPFW sweep the final series, the standings would end with Cent at 15-10, SUU at 15-12 and IPFW at 15-13.

SDSU & ORU are locked in already with 16 wins, in the above scenario Centenary is in, and fourth place has way to many variables. I can't imagine the Gents only getting one of three from WIU, so the last weekend should be for seeding purposes only for the top three teams. Granted, we would like to be seeded #1, but we can't do worse than three. Who would you prefer to see opposite SDSU in a 2-3 matchup?

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Re: Summit Tourney

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
    OK, if I have this figured out right (probably my first mistake), WIU must take 2 of 3 from the Gents for the possibility of Centenary not making the league tourney to still exist heading into the final weekend. Centenary is currently is 13-6, while IPFW is 11-13. Assuming the Gents get 2 of 3 from WIU, they would head into the final weekend at 15-7, SUU is at 11-12 and IPFW 11-13. If SUU & IPFW sweep the final series, the standings would end with Cent at 15-11, SUU at 15-12 and IPFW at 15-13.

SDSU & ORU are locked in already with 16 wins, in the above scenario Centenary is in, and fourth place has way to many variables. I can't imagine the Gents only getting one of three from WIU, so the last weekend should be for seeding purposes only for the top three teams. Granted, we would like to be seeded #1, but we can't do worse than three. Who would you prefer to see opposite SDSU in a 2-3 matchup?
    Fixed.

Not sure what that does to your math, but WIU did take the first game from Centenary tonight.

Comment

I knew I would screw something up, but don't think it changes where they end up if the Gents win the next two. I will admit though an 18-7 drubbing makes you wonder. WIU seems to have gotten its mojo going.

Edit: Oh yeah, thanks for fixing it.
      Last edited by 1stRowFANatic; 05-17-2010, 09:29 PM. Reason: bad at math

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

As of tonight, the Jacks would get the #1 seed. We are tied with ORU but wonthree of four from them in the face to face series. Centenary stills controls their own destiny however with 6 games remaining. If we and they both win out, we would be 20 and 8 and they would be 19 and 7 but that would give them a better percentage.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          Who would you prefer to see opposite SDSU in a 2-3 matchup?
          That's a tough call but I'd have to go with ORU over Centenary based on pitching. We may have got 7 runs off Centenary ace Boone Whiting when we faced him during the regular season, but that might have been an aberration, because he followed that down performance with a 7 inning, 1 run allowed pitching performance vs. ORU's high powered ranked offense. Lugo is a darn good #2 starter, but I'd still rather face him than Whiting.

With that being said, the #1 seed is where we really need to be at (DUH Kemo!), because we want Centenary to use Whiting against ORU instead of us, and that would likely be the case if they squared off in the first round.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

I would have to agree with Kemo. The top ORU pitchers are more vulnerable than the top Centenary pitchers. Whiting and Lugo both threw very well against us last week. Whiting gave up some runs to us after they had built a good lead and I suspect he was just trying to pound the strike zone by that point.

We do have a shot at finishing first but we have seen that it is very difficult to beat a team 4 straight, even when you are clearly the better team. I am glad that WIU is giving Centenary a tussle. That might set us up to have a chance to claim first place this weekend. But we would have to do it against an improved WIU squad.

Comment

Bad news...

Centenary swept today's double header against WIU, first 13-7 and then 7-6 (in extra innings).

Comment

Well, it is all for seeding now in the top three. IPFW will be playing for a potential tournament bid, so Cent will get pushed for sure.

Comment

Here is a link which has a couple of pictures and a little info about J.L. Johnson stadium:

http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesba...ms/oralrob.htm
                  Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Jacks #1
                    ORU #2
                    Cent #3
                    Oakland 13-14 #4

Jump on the Griz so can save Vermeulen for 2nd game

CONGRATS JACKS, FIRST TIME ORU NOT #1 SINCE JOINING LEAGUE IN 1998.

Comment

According to Tyler's twitter page, the Jacks play at 3 on Thursday. It will be on the radio, 910AM . Thank you Brookings Radio!

GO BIG, GO BLUE, GO JACKS!!!
                      Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Biggest hurdle heading into the weekend? I believe it's beating a team (ORU) on their homefield. That goes for every team in the tourney not named ORU. It's going to be a difficult task but it CAN BE DONE!

If the powers that be in the Sioux Falls area are reading this post I believe the Sioux Falls Stadium would be an excellent venue for this tourney. Just a thought. Any advantage we can give the Rabbits in any sport is well worth the effort. I have a strange feeling Rabbit fans would outdraw the ORU faithful. GO RABBITS!

Comment

Are there any SDSUFans.com viewers out there interested in going to Tulsa. I'm going, regardless, but would welcome a roommate. Have the room and am driving down through Kansas City to Tulsa on Wednesday...PM me if you want to find out more. GO JACKS!

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                            Here is a link which has a couple of pictures and a little info about J.L. Johnson stadium:

http://mysite.verizon.net/charliesba...ms/oralrob.htm
                            Wow, that's better than most minor league parks!

Comment

For any of you Jacks fans who are coming to the tournament this weekend, several of the players' parents will be hosting a post game tailgating get together in the Hilton hotel parking lot. The hotel is directly across the street from the ORU main entrance. We will be grilling brats and dogs and there will be many types of liquid refreshments. These get togethers will be both Thursday and Friday evening shortly after the end of the SDSU games. Of course, we are counting on the Jacks still being there to play on Saturday.

If we haven't met yet, and since I live in Dallas that is a very good possibility, come on by and introduce yourselves. We can sit around and talk about what a great season this has been and how cool it would be to make to the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Working...
                              X