Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Last chance at home

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
    Were you now? I too was at opening day, and the crowd was much much larger then 40. Don't believe me? Please see Terry's story from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...29/1002/sports

No place like home
    Jackrabbits open new field with big crowd, easy win

Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • April 22, 2008

BROOKINGS - The wind was cold. The areas outside the diamond looked like a construction site, marked by tire tracks and saw horses. The opponent was an overmatched NCAA Division III club.

Yet Monday was a pretty good day for baseball at South Dakota State.

In their debut at the new Erv Huether Field, the Jackrabbits hammered Presentation College 22-3 in seven innings, making short work of a game that was added to the schedule on short notice in light of several cancellations. . . .

The building continues. The facing on the dugout roofs - along with the "batter's eye" background in center field - are supposed to be completed in the next few weeks. Ideally, a permanent grandstand will be in place by next season, but that's a matter of finding a donor.

In the meantime, a section of portable seating has been brought in - and on Monday it was filled and then some. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Last time I checked "filled and then some" is not a number and there is no mention of a number in the article. For the small seating area that was there roughly 40 people would have made it look full. And there were still plenty of places to sit. Yes people came and left but for having a game on campus for the first time in what, 5 years, the crowd was slim.

Comment

So you claim it was 40 and a "slim" crowd. While Terry V. a sports reporter for the Argus Leader who has credibility called it a "big crowd" and "filled and then some".

I guess the readers can make up their own minds as to who to believe.

Go State!

Comment

The box score off of GoJacks lists the attendance at 149 for the game. Granted, it is difficult to track attendance at baseball games with students coming and going.
        “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Jack B. Nimble View Post
          I was there on opening day with the great crowd of maybe 40.
          I said great, i was surprised to see all the people there 1. knew about the game and 2. knew where the stadium was. I didn't think that many people would come considering it was cold that day. I don't think there was ever 149 people there at one time though.

Which would be slim, but we probably lead the league in attendance like we do for most other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack B. Nimble View Post
            I said great, i was surprised to see all the people there 1. knew about the game and 2. knew where the stadium was. I didn't think that many people would come considering it was cold that day. I don't think there was ever 149 people there at one time though.

I would agree. I made it to the game towards the very end, and there wasn't 150 people there. Maybe 50?? I did they even count attendance with all the people coming and going? It's definetly a positive step forward to have a facility on campus.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

For sports like softball and baseball, attendance is just a guess and nothing more. No way to track it without ticket sales. And do you think SDSU would guess on the conservative side or maybe, just maybe, add a few more to the total.

If you were not at the game, you have no room to talk since you have no idea what type of crowd was there.

Comment

JBN and tlk23 should transfer down south and go to usd2's baseball games. You 2 are p poor excuses for fans anywhere.

Comment

I am sorry we can't all look through the rose colored glasses like everyone else.

Comment

Seriously guys...this was a game against Augie. I know we haven't had many games, but the game would probably have been a laugher anyway. I'm more concerned about how we finish the league schedule, not whether we play a lower division game.

Comment

Working...
                    X