Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Baseball Field?

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Getting volunteers on a worksite like that makes worker's comp insurers nervous. Volunteers who are injured may quickly start claiming they were employees and then you're off to the races with the work comp issues.
    As the Smyz would say...."Exactttttllyyy JD"

SDCL 62-1-5.1 provides that volunteers for governmental units in SD are "employees" for work comp purposes.

"62-1-5.1. Volunteers serving state or political subdivision without pay--Computing or imputing wage--Certain persons not deemed volunteers.

Any volunteer worker rendering services in or for any agency, department, institution, or instrumentality of the state or of any of its political subdivisions, including counties, townships, school districts, or municipalities, whose services have been duly recommended to the officer or governing body responsible for employment of personnel for the respective entity and duly appointed thereto by such officers or governing body, shall for purposes of this title be deemed an employee of the state or the political subdivision, as the case may be. The appointment shall be entered into the official records or minutes of the entity...."

They are also covered by the state risk pool for liability purposes. The executive branch has a form for any volunteers that they are required to sign and which then state supervisor signs designating them a volunteer and thus giving them work comp if they get hurt.

Comment

Wow...I stumbled into layman's no-mans land with that example...forgot we've got those darn pesky lawyers to deal with!!! Just kidding JackJD, glad you set me straight. I'll give another explanation (which somebody will shoot down). I know that you can't do anything on campus, without the Physical Plant handling it and charging an arm and a leg. Have had several examples which I have been involved with...wanted to put some track up for some plaques to hang in the Journalism Department. Couldn't do that...had to pay the bill for Physical Plant to do it, and got a bill for two guys who worked for a total of eight hours (theoretically) and I know for a fact, I could have done it myself in two. Anyway, I think almost all the smaller construction projects are done by physical plant workers and some of the HPER workers. (NEVER will I again dip my toe into the legal arena!!)

Comment

Drove by the new field on Friday... I see they have a "pole-less" backstop set up, similar to the one they have at Cadwell Park in Mitchell, but on a bit smaller scale. From how things are shaping up, it looks like it'll be a very nice park. Heuther Field lives again!

Here's a little known fact... my first radio sports broadcasting was SDSU baseball at the old Heuther on KSDJ. I think I had the sports editor of the Collegian doing color commentary, but it was a blast!
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

[quoting HoboD from above]As the Smyz would say...."Exactttttllyyy JD"

An inside joke: HoboD is referring to a quirky but well-liked Prof we had in law school. And, HoboD: I don't think the Smyz ever gave me an "Exactttttllyy"!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            NEVER will I again dip my toe into the legal arena!!
            Don't say that, Jacks#1Fan. The legal system is everyone's system and everyone can comment. You earned extra points with your great effort in helping defeat the dark side on Amendment E a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Don't say that, Jacks#1Fan. The legal system is everyone's system and everyone can comment. You earned extra points with your great effort in helping defeat the dark side on Amendment E a couple years ago.
              I'm trying to gauge who you refer as "the dark side" on that one...I don't remember if it passed or not.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Amendment E was the proposal that was billed as a judicial accountability law but it was much broader in scope. It was intended to impose a new system for attacking judges, county commissioners, township supervisors etc., dreamed up by a malcontent from California. If my memory serves me, something like 90 per cent of the voters voted against the proposal. See: http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2006/11/08/...asure-fails-2/

I don't want this message board to get bogged down on a dead political issue...I was paying a compliment to Jacks#1Fan because he wrote some courageous and insightful editorials and took some personal shots from the nutcases who supported Amendment E.

Comment

Ummmm, thanks JackJD...but you're right...let's get back to the baseball field...and recruit some volunteers to help finish that new field...GO JACKS!!

Comment

Been a while since anyone updated the progress on the baseball field. Anybody been by lately? How are the dugouts etc. coming along? I doubt we'll be playing at home this weekend after the latest snow but it would sure be nice if it were ready when the weather decides to co-operate.

Comment

I drove by while I was in Brookings a couple of weekends ago. It looked like there was still quite a bit of work to be done. The dugouts were still unfinished and the batter's eye in center field was still just a group of poles in the ground.
                      “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                        Been a while since anyone updated the progress on the baseball field. Anybody been by lately? How are the dugouts etc. coming along? I doubt we'll be playing at home this weekend after the latest snow but it would sure be nice if it were ready when the weather decides to co-operate.

Just drove by the field today, dugouts don't have roofs and the hitter's eye is just poles. Doesn't look like they will be playing home games there this year.

Comment

Drove by the field today, the roof is on on the third base dugout, the roof on the first base side is started, no change to the batters eye

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                            Drove by the field today, the roof is on on the third base dugout, the roof on the first base side is started, no change to the batters eye
                            Thanks for the update Mango!
                            “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by rjacks21 View Post
                              Thanks for the update Mango!
                              No problem, I love driving by the baseball field because baseball is my passion so I'm really looking forward to home games and as soon as the field is done I will be ecstatic

Comment

Thanks Mango, Any seating available yet? I know we're probably at least a year away from the chairbacks but I had heard they would move in some bleachers in the mean time.

Comment

Working...
                                X