New Baseball Field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Baseball Field?

A couple baseball players in one of my class said unless the dugouts are finished this spring, Reggie doesn't want to play on campus. Maybe BTown can get down the bottom of this

Comment

I really have no idea or info on this. But it only seems logical that if there are no dugouts they would play elsewhere.

Comment

Trouble is, if they aren't playing on campus, they likely won't be playing in Brookings. Reggie really doesn't like Sheldon as it is too short for college bball. How difficult can it be to get the darn dugouts finished? I believe the footings were done last fall.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
          Trouble is, if they aren't playing on campus, they likely won't be playing in Brookings. Reggie really doesn't like Sheldon as it is too short for college bball. How difficult can it be to get the darn dugouts finished? I believe the footings were done last fall.
          I could show up and help one afternoon. Granted, I'd probably slow the process down but I think I've made my point.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Wacky idea, but maybe we could all have a day this spring where members from this board participate in various things that the athletic department maintenance staff needs to get done?

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
              Wacky idea, but maybe we could all have a day this spring where members from this board participate in various things that the athletic department maintenance staff needs to get done?
              Won't happen. They tried to do the dugouts for the softball field this way to get things going and they (I think Fred) wouldn't let them.

Comment

I'm guessing for liability reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                  I'm guessing for liability reasons?
                  No need to guess RT...just imagine it is this way: A "volunteer" not on the state payroll, accidentally trips and falls right in front of a tractor at the site, gets run over and is severely disabled? Who do you think gets sued for multi-millions? I think we all know the answer.

Comment

Dugouts at the baseball and softball field are being built up with some nice masonry blocks as we speak

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
                      Dugouts at the baseball and softball field are being built up with some nice masonry blocks as we speak
                      Quick, grab the basketball players to go stand in front of them! (I couldn't resist )
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Quick, grab the basketball players to go stand in front of them! (I couldn't resist )
                        Shortest ones first. Then when they are close to being finished, bring in the tallers players.

Comment

Jack#1Fan...unfortunately, a popular misconception. The legal system doesn't work that way. A volunteer would have to prove someone was legally at fault -- as in negligent -- which caused his injuries. In your hypothetical, you have the volunteer falling down and getting run over by the tractor. Doesn't sound like he'd win that case and would probably have difficulty finding an attorney to take the case. Thornier issue is whether workers comp applies to the volunteer. Generally, Workers Comp pays irrespective of whether someone is at fault for an injury. Getting volunteers on a worksite like that makes worker's comp insurers nervous. Volunteers who are injured may quickly start claiming they were employees and then you're off to the races with the work comp issues.

Lots of construction projects are handled by volunteers (schools, churches, Habitat for Humanity etc....). My guess: State would just prefer it be done by licensed, probably bonded, workers and constractors. Things will be handled professionally and fast and there's recourse if a problem occurs. When dealing with the State's money, they have to think about those things.

Ever try to sue a university for a tort like the hypothetical describes? Concepts of sovereign immunity are alive and quite well in this State.

Caveat: the above is a huge oversimplification! somebody has to defend the legal system! Too many inaccuracies floating out there!

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          No need to guess RT...just imagine it is this way: A "volunteer" not on the state payroll, accidentally trips and falls right in front of a tractor at the site, gets run over and is severely disabled? Who do you think gets sued for multi-millions? I think we all know the answer.

Comment

I drove by the field Sunday afternoon and am impressed by the change in just two weeks.

Comment

Give us the low down JD. Anything going on besides the dugouts?

Comment

I think the steel you see going up in centerfield is for the hitter's eye. ORU has one. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Working...
                                X