Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jacks take two from IPFW

Originally posted by Jacks02

In the same respect, the city moving fences in (if that is the case) without first talking with SDSU who was a partner in renovations to the field, was a bad move by the City as well.
    I am curious to know what renovations you are talking about?
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by D-town
      [quote author=Jacks02 link=1178051125/0#10 date=1178050610]

In the same respect, the city moving fences in (if that is the case) without first talking with SDSU who was a partner in renovations to the field, was a bad move by the City as well.
      I am curious to know what renovations  you are talking about?[/quote]

I think they added a new Daktronics scoreboard in 2006. Not sure if there were any other renovations done, someone with more knowledge will have to speak up. Maybe "renovation" wasn't the best word to use in this instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks02
        [quote author=D-town link=1178051125/15#15 date=1178131691][quote author=Jacks02 link=1178051125/0#10 date=1178050610]

I think they added a new Daktronics scoreboard in 2006.  Not sure if there were any other renovations done, someone with more knowledge will have to speak up.  Maybe "renovation" wasn't the best word to use in this instance.[/quote]
        The scoreboard project was all done by the Brookings Friends of Baseball. It is entirely separate from any agrrement with SDSU.

Comment

Re: Bob Sheldon Field

I haven't seen Bob Sheldon since I played on it back in the early 90's. I will say this about small parks, the Canaries played the Explorers in Yankton last night. Yankton has a very nice park for legion ball and Mt. Marty but the dimensions are small. Sioux City beat Sioux Falls 15-8 with several "pop up" home runs. As a former pitcher, I felt bad for both teams. Yankton's park is a bout 315 down the line and 355 in center with about a 15 foot high fence. Not sure where Bob Sheldon's fence sits anymore.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Re: Bob Sheldon Field

Its pretty short to left and center....pry about the same as Yankton. I can't remember the exact dimensions right off the top of my head. Last year I know they had moved the fence in right and right center back. I believe it was in the neighborhood of 380-400 in right center, but I'm not positive. Maybe someone else may know for sure. The fence in left can not be moved due to the scoreboard being in left center.

If people are complaining about too many homers and too many runs maybe they should look at the fact that aluminum bats are being used. 15-14 ball games can happen in very large ballparks too when using aluminum bats. Guys can get hits even when not hitting the ball squarely. I would suspect a lot of the high scoring games are necessarily because of the small parks but due to the aluminum bats. If people want to see pitchers duels (which I really enjoy), people should push for aluminum bats.

I actually believe the day is coming when wood bats are used in college baseball (its a ways down the road). Kids these days are so good using aluminum bats creates inflated statistics I believe.

There wouldn't be as many homers hit at Bob Sheldon if wood bats were used. Look at the Cubby's they don't hit too many homeruns anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies
              [quote author=Jacks02 link=1178051125/15#16 date=1178134608][quote author=D-town link=1178051125/15#15 date=1178131691][quote author=Jacks02 link=1178051125/0#10 date=1178050610]

I think they added a new Daktronics scoreboard in 2006.  Not sure if there were any other renovations done, someone with more knowledge will have to speak up.  Maybe "renovation" wasn't the best word to use in this instance.[/quote]
              The scoreboard project was all done by the Brookings Friends of Baseball. It is entirely separate from any agrrement with SDSU.[/quote]

SDSU has not assisted with any renovations at Bob Sheldon Field, to do so would be financially irresponsible.  They need!!!!!!!!!! to raise the funds to build/finish their current athletics facilities, a.k.a. baseball, softball, track.  Until then they have to share and compromise with the other entities involved.  

One more thing, the scoreboard was placed far enough to move the fences back.  The problem is the light towers.  They are right up along the outside of the fences.  To move outfield fences back or to increase foul territory would mean moving light towers.  (Rough estimates being around $40,000 per tower moved and replace).  This has been discussed because the city is looking to replace the current light towers.  Depending on placement of the towers will depend on if the fences are moved.  

I have also heard that the city of Brookings has been asked to look at possible assisting with putting light towers at the new SDSU baseball field.  I am sure Brookings Friends of Baseball will be approached also.  I think this organization would help financially as well.  Then the agreement would be to allow Brookings access to the field during the summer.  Seems like a far trade.  THIS IS WHY SDSU CANNOT AFFORD, in my opinion, to continue to play home games in places like Mitchell and Huron.  I understand playing in R.C. and S.F. to utilize there facilities to bring in Minnesota, Kansas, Creighton, Kansas State of the world.  Many complained about moving games out of Frost and CAF for other sports.  Why do you allow if for baseball?  I know Reggie said playing DWU in Mitchell was the right thing to do, b/c they permitted access to their field for the UVSC series and it probably was.  I just hope he remembers to thank the community that supports SDSU better than any other community in the world.  

I have met Reggie, he is a great guy, a baseball guy.  He just needs to realize that his continued negativity toward Bob Sheldon Field will not help his quest to finish the campus baseball facility.

Now for the important stuff, we lost game of the series to NDSU.  Let's knock the heck out of them for the rest of series.
              We...ARE...STATE!
              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
              X