ORU Coming Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ORU Coming Back

For the league this is great because the league was down to the minimum number of teams (5) for an NCAA bid - with Oakland leaving. Now for the Rabbits going back to the tournament things just got much more difficult in the future.

GO RABBITS!

Re: ORU Coming Back

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
    For the league this is great because the league was down to the minimum number of teams (5) for an NCAA bid - with Oakland leaving. Now for the Rabbits going back to the tournament things just got much more difficult in the future.

GO RABBITS!
    Will adding Oral Roberts to the baseball conference make it more difficult to advance to the NCAA? At first thought I would say yes. But, looking at their record the last two years one may suggest maybe not? Adding another team to the Summit was important to retain the auto qualifier. But, OR's record the last two years was in 2012 25 & 32 overall and 16 & 11 in the southland. In 2011 28 & 21 overal and 9 & 3 in the southland. So, they have done well in conference but not overall. Correct me if I am wrong but I believer Oral lost their long time head coach and are simply not the power they use to be.

I am hoping the Summit is not done adding teams. UND baseball would be an interesting add. Don't think the big sky has baseball so they are likely looking for a home.

I see they must be replacing the outfield fence at Erv Heuther field? Old fence is gone but don't know what the new fence will look like?

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
      I see they must be replacing the outfield fence at Erv Heuther field? Old fence is gone but don't know what the new fence will look like?

GBGBGJ
      A wall instead?

Comment

GBGBGJ
        Can't 100% confirm it but I've heard they are moving in the fences 15 feet all the way around. Would make it 315 down the lines and 385 to center.

Comment

The fence will be the same as the one around the softball field (link with vynal (?) cover. There will also be a large batter's eye constructed this time, courtesy of money raised by the parent's of the players, and also an entrance to the stadium will be erected courtesy of a gift from the late Senator Jim Abdnor, which will be called the Abdnor Archway. When the new indoor facility is done, and the parking lot just west across the street from the baseball field is paved, a walkway will lead across the street through the stadium entrance.

Comment

Will adding Oral Roberts to the baseball conference make it more difficult to advance to the NCAA? At first thought I would say yes. But, looking at their record the last two years one may suggest maybe not? Adding another team to the Summit was important to retain the auto qualifier. But, OR's record the last two years was in 2012 25 & 32 overall and 16 & 11 in the southland. In 2011 28 & 21 overal and 9 & 3 in the southland. So, they have done well in conference but not overall. Correct me if I am wrong but I believer Oral lost their long time head coach and are simply not the power they use to be.

I am hoping the Summit is not done adding teams. UND baseball would be an interesting add. Don't think the big sky has baseball so they are likely looking for a home.

GBGBGJ
            I believe the Southland conference is a pretty respectable baseball conference.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Chains, you are correct about ORU losing their coach. Rob Walton moved on to Okie State as their pitching coach. I don't believe ORU is nearly the team they were with him at the helm. Pitching was their strong point and he was the one who made that go. Now, will adding them back to the Summit make it a tougher league to win? Yes, but they will not come back in and dominate the league the way they did before their temporary departure.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Working...
              X