Senior Tributes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Tributes

In 2009 I did this for the group of seniors that took SDSU baseball to the first Summit League Championship game in school history. After following this group for 4 years, I thought it appropriate to recognize the 2013 seniors that have taken SDSU baseball to the next level, a Summit League Championship and first Div. 1 NCAA Baseball Tourney appearance. After last year's disappointing finish, these young men were a large reason for a successful turn around this year. And yes, this is a couple weeks late so please forgive me.
    Nick Andrews- became a premier utility player who did what he could to make the team successful. Had some timely hits throughout his career and was a solid catcher and first baseman when called upon. Academically very sound and will be on campus next year to complete his engineering degree.
    Steven Autenrieth- made the team with determination and internal fortitude. Did what was necessary to improve the team from catching bullpens, playing firstbase or being the dugout cheerleader. He always impressed me with his enthusiasm and hustle. Good student.
    Stephen Bougher- the most consistent (and maybe superstitious) pitcher to take the mound at SDSU for the last 4 years as evidenced by his team records. His leadership, dependability and durability will be missed next year. The Salt Dogs were smart to sign him and hopefully this leads to a long pro career. All accolades were earned, whether athletic or academic. I will miss the smirky smile and hugs.
    Shane Kraemer- the 'character' of the group who kept the bullpen and dugout loose and relaxed. Pitched some very important innings throughout his career and filled the role as parttime starter and parttime reliever very well. He may be the senior that appreciates his college education the most.
    Daniel Marra- like other seniors had an up and down career due to injuries. I am proud he returned and made the most of his senior (5th) year. His defense at shortstop and clutch hitting were keys to this year's success. I suspect he will continue to play some baseball north of the border.
    Andrew Melton- after playing all infield positions throughout his career, became the most consistent player on the team and solidified third base defensively. His bat produced some memorable hits, and although rather soft spoken, provided leadership in the dugout.
    Layne Somsen- had a great year statistically and kept a dream alive with hard work and determination. Proved to himself that he can compete both on the diamond and in the classroom. Still dreaming.....
    Daniel Telford- challenged throughout his career with injuries and playing time, but became the hitting star of the team even with TWO injured shoulders. Never gave up and deserved all the awards he garnered. Wish him the best on his future surgeries and hope he swings the bat and plays the game they all love.
    Final thoughts:
    - Canadien connection will be reduced by half with this graduation class.
    - Best memory: Championship game in Summit League Tourney when 3 senior pitchers took on unfamiliar roles and gave it their all. Shane Kraemer pitched 5&1/3 gutty scoreless innings, Stephen Bougher shuts down a threat and pitches 1&2/3 innings of shut out ball, then Layne Somsen earns his first career save by pitching two scoreless innings to preserve a 1-0 victory for the championship, not to forget all the defensive plays that contributed to the shutouts of that day.
    - Not only will we miss these seniors, but will also miss their families who gave them the support and encouragement to be Champions! Memories for Life!!

Re: Senior Tributes

Well summarized '76! We've got some good players coming up to replace them, but it won't be easy to replace this bunch of seniors. Thanks to all of them for making us all proud of Jackrabbit baseball this year!

Comment

Working...
    X