2 sport athletes playing baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 sport athletes playing baseball

I watch a ton of college athletics and follow baseball very closely and I look at the higher level division one clubs and they all have 3-4-5 solid players who are at the school on a football scholarship and participate on the football team. Notre Dame's baseball team had Goldon Tate, Jeff Samarga, currently has Pat Connigton (basketball) and is adding Torii Hunter Jr. Russell Wilson played baseball when at NCSU. Eric Decker played baseball at Minnesota. Quite a few.

Now I get its a different level but it seems every year I hear of 1 or 2 football recruits that would have been drafted in baseball or were very good baseball players( I believe Zenner is one of them). And was wondering what is keeping them from joining the baseball team? Now I understand its D-I and being a multi-sport athlete is very demanding and would completely understand if they chose not to, but I got more of the impression that either the football staff wouldn't allow it, or if prior baseball staffs weren't interested.

So I'm wondering if with the recent success of SDSU baseball (Thielbar majors, Treinen AA, NCAA tournament, etc.) if maybe in the future their could be some multi-sport athletes at SDSU playing baseball.

Re: 2 sport athletes playing baseball

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I watch a ton of college athletics and follow baseball very closely and I look at the higher level division one clubs and they all have 3-4-5 solid players who are at the school on a football scholarship and participate on the football team. Notre Dame's baseball team had Goldon Tate, Jeff Samarga, currently has Pat Connigton (basketball) and is adding Torii Hunter Jr. Russell Wilson played baseball when at NCSU. Eric Decker played baseball at Minnesota. Quite a few.

Now I get its a different level but it seems every year I hear of 1 or 2 football recruits that would have been drafted in baseball or were very good baseball players( I believe Zenner is one of them). And was wondering what is keeping them from joining the baseball team? Now I understand its D-I and being a multi-sport athlete is very demanding and would completely understand if they chose not to, but I got more of the impression that either the football staff wouldn't allow it, or if prior baseball staffs weren't interested.

So I'm wondering if with the recent success of SDSU baseball (Thielbar majors, Treinen AA, NCAA tournament, etc.) if maybe in the future their could be some multi-sport athletes at SDSU playing baseball.

The Jackrabbits do have a multiple sport athlete for basketball and baseball. Marcus Hemstra from the basketball team played baseball last year and elected to red shirt from baseball this year but is planning on baseball again next year. I cannot imagine the time commitment it takes to play one sport in college let anlone a second! We also have some football players that are running track and have had WBB players play volleyball. All though after their basketball carrers were over.

It takes an exceptional athlete and and exceptional person to participate in two sports the same school year.

GBGBGJ

Comment

but i got more of the impression that either the football staff wouldn't allow it
      bingo!

Comment

Bert Blyleven said on a Twins' broadcast not so long ago that he thinks one of the reasons Major League players are having so many muscle injuries is because kids specialize in one sport early and do not develop different muscle groups playing different sports. Might be something to it.

B

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          Bert Blyleven said on a Twins' broadcast not so long ago that he thinks one of the reasons Major League players are having so many muscle injuries is because kids specialize in one sport early and do not develop different muscle groups playing different sports. Might be something to it.

B
          That has to do with a study that is close to being published. It will be interesting to see what that says. I understand why SDSU football doesn't want Zach Zenner playing 3B, but it just surprises me that there hasn't been any that have played baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post

B
            Yes, very much of an issue.
            http://www.sciencecodex.com/intense_...njuries-110752
            http://blog.drstankovich.com/dr-jame...-and-injuries/

At the college level, especially at the highest of levels, the support staff (strength & conditioning, athletic trainers, etc) design programs to reduce these overuse injuries. But often times the athletes come into college as damaged goods. So, yes playing multiple sports at the younger age can be beneficial for multiple reasons.

Comment

When it comes to football players crossing over to baseball, missing spring football has play the biggest role in keeping them off the baseball field. Even if the fb coaches were OK with it and allowed it, I don't know how well it would go over with teammates. If I'm a football player with no baseball skills, I'm not sure I would be real excited about one of my teammates missing the critical spring football season to go play baseball. I'd understand it and the desire to play, but I'm not sure it's fair to the rest of the team in the primary sport where an athlete was recruited to play. But then, life's not fair either.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                When it comes to football players crossing over to baseball, missing spring football has play the biggest role in keeping them off the baseball field. Even if the fb coaches were OK with it and allowed it, I don't know how well it would go over with teammates. If I'm a football player with no baseball skills, I'm not sure I would be real excited about one of my teammates missing the critical spring football season to go play baseball. I'd understand it and the desire to play, but I'm not sure it's fair to the rest of the team in the primary sport where an athlete was recruited to play. But then, life's not fair either.
                Yet it happens with the big programs. It happens with some fairly big players at some big programs. Its not as if I'm saying every football player who has ever played baseball should be playing both. I'm just wondering why 1 or 2 who are arguably better baseball recruits aren't playing baseball in the spring. And then am wondering if recent success and so on won't allow it to open up a little bit.

Comment

Schrage actually coached Golden Tate in baseball at Notre Dame. He told me once that Tate played in the spring game and then played a baseball doubleheader later that day. So yes it happens in big programs with some of the highest profile athletes in those programs.

You answered your own question earlier, it's the football staff. In my (recent) experience, Stig didn't even want his guys hanging out with baseball players much less actually playing on the team. I have a very good friend that played football, and he has told me many stories to that effect

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
                    Schrage actually coached Golden Tate in baseball at Notre Dame. He told me once that Tate played in the spring game and then played a baseball doubleheader later that day. So yes it happens in big programs with some of the highest profile athletes in those programs.

You answered your own question earlier, it's the football staff. In my (recent) experience, Stig didn't even want his guys hanging out with baseball players much less actually playing on the team. I have a very good friend that played football, and he has told me many stories to that effect
                    I think the AD has had a voice in dual participation too, and often came on the side of the coach, who often discouraged playing football/baseball. Our current AD seems to have many issues on his plate and has not been as strict on this matter.

In my time, fifty years ago, there were some athletes that pariticipated in three sports, football basketball and baseball, Wayne Rasumussen and Doug Peterson come to mind. Both were on the 1963 NCAA College Division BB championship team. I suspect there were others, who did the football and wrestling gig too, such as Frank Kurtenbach. Times have changed. Each sport has become more demanding in off season training and conditioning. I get the part about concentrating on one sport.

If ZZ can play baseball and wants to more power to him, but I would think he is also concerned about maintaining a high GPA in order to get into med school.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I think the AD has had a voice in dual participation too, and often came on the side of the coach, who often discouraged playing football/baseball. Our current AD seems to have many issues on his plate and has not been as strict on this matter.

In my time, fifty years ago, there were some athletes that pariticipated in three sports, football basketball and baseball, Wayne Rasumussen and Doug Peterson come to mind. Both were on the 1963 NCAA College Division BB championship team. I suspect there were others, who did the football and wrestling gig too, such as Frank Kurtenbach. Times have changed. Each sport has become more demanding in off season training and conditioning. I get the part about concentrating on one sport.

If ZZ can play baseball and wants to more power to him, but I would think he is also concerned about maintaining a high GPA in order to get into med school.
                      I think the main problem would be unpredictable spring weather and schedul played by baseball. Baseball buses to many (all road games) and are on the road too much.
                      We...ARE...STATE!
                      SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                        I think the main problem would be unpredictable spring weather and schedul played by baseball. Baseball buses to many (all road games) and are on the road too much.
                        that is a good point I didn't even think about.

I get that the coaching staff doesn't want a scholarship athlete getting hurt, but I wish they would open it up and allow someone if they wanted to, to play baseball. I can find 15 NFL caliber players (or MLB caliber players) that played college football or baseball.

There is a list a mile long of successful football players who played college baseball

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
                          Excellent point

Comment

Working...
                          X