Less Than One Month to the Opener

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less Than One Month to the Opener

The SDSU baseball is less than one month away from the season opener. That is music to my ears.

http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...40&SPSID=64526

GO RABBITS!

Re: Less Than One Month to the Opener

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
    The SDSU baseball is less than one month away from the season opener. That is music to my ears.

http://www.gojacks.com/SportSelect.d...40&SPSID=64526

GO RABBITS!
    I must admit,haven't been following what recruits Schrage has brought in.I'm thinking he went mostly for pitchers in his early recruiting phase.I would hope we got some guys who can get on base(high hitting %) and run the bases well(good speed,stealing threat,can stretch out hits for extra bases,noted,this last one takes a lot of speed) for the leadoff batters in the batting order.Isn't that what Schrage is noted for,coaching small ball?I realize he doesn't have very many of his own classes ,but, just wondering?

Comment

Sorry,putting too much burden on coach Schrage already,and the season hasn't even started yet,he's only got one recruiting class of his own,all pitchers.That's about the best place to start building your own team , with your own signature on it, i guess....I'm sure we'll have a winner this season,....Go Jacks

Comment

Hard to believe when it is this cold out that baseball is right around the corner, but I am ready for it.

Comment

Correct. Coach Schrage is a small ball guy. Which has become more popular since the bat changes.

I thought the #1 issue with the squad last season was their defense. In 42 games they made 91 errors. You do the math. When you try and combine small ball with bad defense you're going to have a bad team. The combination of an offense that gave up outs + a defense that gave the opponent extra outs = 19-33-1 overall record.

Here's looking ahead to a better season and getting back in the hunt for the conference championship.

GO RABBITS!

Comment

Agree that defense was poor last year. Coach Schrage inherited players who were recruited to play the kind of ball that Ritchie played. His teams were never particularly good defensively and offensively were designed to wait for the 3 run homer. Last years team did not produce the runs that were necessary to play that kind of ball. Coach Schrage has added a lot of speed and hopefully some better defense so the Jacks will be able to play the kind of ball he prefers.
            Last edited by 76Rabbit; 01-22-2013, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Who is going to watch SDSU @ Metrodome on President's Day Monday Feb 18 DH vs. Waldorf (Schrage and Grunzke's old school)? DH starts at 7:30 am I assume they are practicing at Dome on Sunday or somewhere else in Twin Cities at Indoor Facility?Anyone ...............?????????

Comment

Who is Going to the Metrodome on Presidents' Day Monday Feb 18 to watch jacks in doubleheader versus Waldorf at 7:30 am?Are they working out on Sunday the 17th at the Metrodome or somewhere else in the Twin Cities?Please write back I am a Jack's fan in Minneapolis and would like to see them play while they're in town

Comment

There will be a few of us baseball fans there. 7:30 AM makes it pretty tough to go to Huberts prior to the game though I'll find out if they are practicing on sunday and post.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                    Agree that defense was poor last year. Coach Schrage inherited players who were recruited to play the kind of ball that Ritchie played. His teams were never particularly good defensively and offensively were designed to wait for the 3 run homer. Last years team did not produce the runs that were necessary to play that kind of ball. Coach Schrage has added a lot of speed and hopefully some better defense so the Jacks will be able to play the kind of ball he prefers.
                    That three-run homer stuff sounds like the late Earl Weaver's strategy.... But look at the best teams in the majors. All had speed, pitching, defense and adequate if not overwelming power.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                      There will be a few of us baseball fans there. 7:30 AM makes it pretty tough to go to Huberts prior to the game though I'll find out if they are practicing on sunday and post.
                      That party time was not nearly as daunting in college, was it, 76?

Comment

Oh oh, NoVaJack and 76Rabbit have dirt on each other.

Comment

Working...
                        X