Erv Huether

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erv Huether

I heard that Erv Huether passed away Tuesday at the age of 93. Although he lived a full life, I am saddened by his death and have to admit I shed a tear. Having it been 29 years since he coached at SDSU, It's my opinion that most don't realize the impact, influence and respect he garnered at SDSU, in South Dakota and throughout the nation.

Many are impressed by the current success of SDSU baseball at the D1 level. I'm not..SDSU has had a rich traditon prior with Coach Huether and his hand selected predessor Mark Ekeland. Only after coach Ekeland becoming ill did the program have difficultities for a brief period. Scheduling was different back in the day and Erv Huether played about one third of his schedule against D1 opponents. My first collegiate games were against Kansas State, Wichita State, and Oral Roberts. In the Huether/Ekeland era if you lived in SD/SW MN and you were baseball player, South Dakota State is where you went.

My personal relationship with Coach Huether actually bloomed when I was done at SDSU. When I began coaching, I was the Teener coach in Brookings and he would come and watch my games. Later I became a collegiate coach and Erv would always make a point to come and watch some of my games. Reminiscing, my last real conversation I had with Coach Huether was both of us sitting on the side of a hill after I had gotten kicked out of a game at San Diego State. Whenever someone heard I was from SDSU they would ask me if I knew Erv.When he attended national conventions in his retirement he was treated like royality by all the big names in college baseball.

Erv Huether did not only bleed JackRabbit Blue, but gave me and many others the opportunity to do the same. Tomorrow I'm going to my baseball field, stand at home plate and have a moment of silence at 2:00 Cental Time.
    If you can't attend his funeral, I would hope you do the same for one of the truly great people/contributors to the state of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and the game of baseball.

Quincey Noble
    '84 South Dakota State University

Re: Erv Huether

Here is the link to Erv's obituary. We have lost an icon in baseball. No doubt about it. Another Yankton College Greyhound alum is lost.
    http://www.eidsnessfuneralhome.com/s...=565542Huether

Comment

RIP Erv

Comment

Quincey, that is one of the best posts ever on this board! Thank you for your perspective.

Cheers to Coach Huether on a life well lived, and thanks to him for influencing hundreds of lives in a positive way!

Comment

Erv was an iconic leader within the athletic dept. SDSU has been blessed with a slew of these great leaders. Thanks for all he shared and created at State, and say thanks to many of the living legends that continue Erv's traditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe_Jackrabbit View Post
            I heard that Erv Huether passed away Tuesday at the age of 93. Although he lived a full life, I am saddened by his death and have to admit I shed a tear. Having it been 29 years since he coached at SDSU, It's my opinion that most don't realize the impact, influence and respect he garnered at SDSU, in South Dakota and throughout the nation.

Many are impressed by the current success of SDSU baseball at the D1 level. I'm not..SDSU has had a rich traditon prior with Coach Huether and his hand selected predessor Mark Ekeland. Only after coach Ekeland becoming ill did the program have difficultities for a brief period. Scheduling was different back in the day and Erv Huether played about one third of his schedule against D1 opponents. My first collegiate games were against Kansas State, Wichita State, and Oral Roberts. In the Huether/Ekeland era if you lived in SD/SW MN and you were baseball player, South Dakota State is where you went.

My personal relationship with Coach Huether actually bloomed when I was done at SDSU. When I began coaching, I was the Teener coach in Brookings and he would come and watch my games. Later I became a collegiate coach and Erv would always make a point to come and watch some of my games. Reminiscing, my last real conversation I had with Coach Huether was both of us sitting on the side of a hill after I had gotten kicked out of a game at San Diego State. Whenever someone heard I was from SDSU they would ask me if I knew Erv.When he attended national conventions in his retirement he was treated like royality by all the big names in college baseball.

Erv Huether did not only bleed JackRabbit Blue, but gave me and many others the opportunity to do the same. Tomorrow I'm going to my baseball field, stand at home plate and have a moment of silence at 2:00 Cental Time.
            If you can't attend his funeral, I would hope you do the same for one of the truly great people/contributors to the state of South Dakota, South Dakota State University and the game of baseball.

Quincey Noble
            '84 South Dakota State University
            I never met Coach Huether and actually know nothing of the man.....but I have to admit I got sad just reading your post. Great post and undoubtedly great man, RIP Coach Huether.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
              Quincey, that is one of the best posts ever on this board! Thank you for your perspective.

Cheers to Coach Huether on a life well lived, and thanks to him for influencing hundreds of lives in a positive way!
              I was going to say the same thing. Its good for us younger guys to know about those who made sdsu what it is and learn a little histoey along the way. Thanks for sharing.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Nice gesture at the Jacks BB game last night with a few moments of silence in Erv's passing. Did not know the man but watched many of his teams play baseball. Never did hear a negative word said about the man.

My thoughts out go his family and friends.

GBGBGJ

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                Erv was an iconic leader within the athletic dept. SDSU has been blessed with a slew of these great leaders. Thanks for all he shared and created at State, and say thanks to many of the living legends that continue Erv's traditions.
                Last edited by JackJD; 02-05-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

As a player Erv knew everything about you. If you weren't hitting the ball Erv would check in and tell you to quit thinking and and hit the ball. Good things will happen. He was always the first person to set up his lawn chair every weekend along with Art Staggs. Two great fans and both are greatly missed by the SDSU baseball community.

Comment

Q, I agree. Erv Huether gave many of us a chance to show that South Dakotans could play baseball! This opportunity to play in the early 80's gave birth to many successful seasons after Coach Huether retired. He definitely bled Jackrabbit blue and had his players doing the same. I am proud to say I played for Erv as he put down the building blocks of success. God bless Erv.

On a more funny note....one of the funniest things when Willie Sanchez and the Augie Vikings came to town for a doubleheader. As Erv and Willie talked, Willie pointed out to the original Erv Huether left field scoreboard where the sign emblazed with "Huether Field" and said, "Hey Erv, don't they usually name the field on your behalf after you die?" Both got a good chuckle as I did. That is what Erv meant to SDSU baseball.....a field named on his behalf while still alive and coaching the team.
                    Hofe
                    '84 SDSU

Comment

Working...
                    X